Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Manual or Automatic transmission for 2015 Scat Pack

37K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  FlyingMonkey 
#1 ·
I know there is an identical thread on this about the Hellcat but I was wondering the exact same thing about the Scat Pack car. Do you think the 8 speed automatic will be quicker than the manual for the 6.4 liter? I've always carried the stereotype that a man has to go manual on sports car, but the new automatic seems really good. Plus it could help in gridlock Atlanta traffic. Also, I do not know what "paddle shift" technology means. How is it different from regular auto?

#2 · (Edited)
I know there is an identical thread on this about the Hellcat but I was wondering the exact same thing about the Scat Pack car. Do you think the 8 speed automatic will be quicker than the manual for the 6.4 liter? I've always carried the stereotype that a man has to go manual on sports car, but the new automatic seems really good. Plus it could help in gridlock Atlanta traffic. Also, I do not know what "paddle shift" technology means. How is it different from regular auto?
The 8 speed will be quicker in a straight line....even the old 5 speed was quicker.....just look at the fast list here.

How much quicker is the only question......in the case of the Hellcat it looks like the 8 speed was 6/10's of a sec quicker than the manual in the 1/4 testing by SRT

#3 ·
With the Hellcat I think the big allure of the A8 is the fact that it will help keep all 707 horses planted to the ground. 1/4 mile times aside, I don't think the A8 is that critical for the Scat Pack, so an M6 definitely isn't out of the question.

Paddle shifters allow you to row through all gears in an auto just like you were driving a manual (without having to use a clutch). I use mine 90% of the time driving around. Its pretty common (but cool) technology these days.

#4 ·
Personally, I'm fully sick and tired of the old "...a man has to go manual on a sports car..." garbage.

I chose the 6M on my Scat Pack because I like to shift; I learned to drive on a stick, and my personal opinion is you are far more aware of your vehicle and driving environment when you have to manually shift. Given the power/torque upgrade I'm going to get by purchasing the Challenger Scat Pack as compared to my current ride of the past 8 years (Infiniti G35x, 200hp less, 150 foot lbs less of torque), I need to be hyper-aware of everything or else the power of the Dodge will get away from me.

That said, if I was interested in 1/4 mile times, track racing, etc, I would have ordered the 8 speed automatic; from what everyone is saying, it is light years ahead of the previous auto tranny, and there's no way any human can out-shift an auto. Thus, if drag or track speeds are important to you, the Auto is the only way to go.

Women drag race; women race road/track. Are they somehow more "masculine" if they choose a manual transmission? Of course not. So let's just kill this "a man drives manual" once and for all, shall we?

If you have concerns over stop/go traffic, the auto may be the right choice for you. When roads are clear, you can autostick; when in rush hour, you can let the car do the work...seems like a tempting choice to me, but in the end I chose what I chose.

#5 ·
Personally, I'm fully sick and tired of the old "...a man has to go manual on a sports car..." garbage.

I chose the 6M on my Scat Pack because I like to shift; I learned to drive on a stick, and my personal opinion is you are far more aware of your vehicle and driving environment when you have to manually shift. Given the power/torque upgrade I'm going to get by purchasing the Challenger Scat Pack as compared to my current ride of the past 8 years (Infiniti G35x, 200hp less, 150 foot lbs less of torque), I need to be hyper-aware of everything or else the power of the Dodge will get away from me.

That said, if I was interested in 1/4 mile times, track racing, etc, I would have ordered the 8 speed automatic; from what everyone is saying, it is light years ahead of the previous auto tranny, and there's no way any human can out-shift an auto. Thus, if drag or track speeds are important to you, the Auto is the only way to go.

Women drag race; women race road/track. Are they somehow more "masculine" if they choose a manual transmission? Of course not. So let's just kill this "a man drives manual" once and for all, shall we?

If you have concerns over stop/go traffic, the auto may be the right choice for you. When roads are clear, you can autostick; when in rush hour, you can let the car do the work...seems like a tempting choice to me, but in the end I chose what I chose.
Not more masculine...just more sexy!!!!

#9 · (Edited)
I would never purchase another car with a TREMEC in it!

The tranny will fail at 15-30K miles and when you take it in to get serviced the dealer will say your clutch and throw out bearing failed and there is nothing wrong with your tranny except the grinding when shift and that is considered normal by Chrysler TREMEC and is not covered under warranty.

This will leave you car less for about six weeks and a 3K bill when your done.

In another 3-15K miles, you will have the same issue and have to go through the whole process again.

Get the auto it is faster and not built by Tremec!

TREMEC's suck big time and equal a TOTAL FAILURE!

#10 ·
I like manual and I have a manual car in my garage for past 20 years, for the first time ever I'm thinking getting a8 but under one condition, I'll take test drive and as long as she scratch the tires shifting in 2nd am getting one, if not I'm sticking with manual.

#11 ·
6-speed manual for me in my 2009 and my 2015 R/T SP. I couldn't care less if it isn't quite as fast as the 8-speed auto in a drag race. I don't race, but really enjoy shifting the gears. The clutch is no problem in traffic for me; it is very light. And a clutch will last well beyond 100,000 miles unless you do power starts a lot (drag racing).

The paddle shifters for the automatic are levers behind the steering wheel at the ~3:00 & ~9:00 positions. When the automatic is set for "manual mode," you can shift the automatic gears by pushing the gearshift lever OR pulling back on the paddle shifter with your fingers. You will be able to shift very quickly with the paddle shifters even while turning.

#12 ·
Triz;3255401 Paddle shifters allow you to row through all gears in an auto just like you were driving a manual (without having to use a clutch). I use mine 90% of the time driving around. Its pretty common (but cool) technology these days.[/QUOTE said:
Back in the 60's the Mopars with the Pushbutton automatic trans. were putting in Manual Valve
bodies so they could pick their own shift points, much like todays paddle shifters do ... but with no rev limiters.
Button cars seldom lost. Were as with a Manual you missed a shift you were done. No different today.
I do know it does take a certain amount of skill to pilot a manual and you are in tune more with
the over-all performance and feel of the car.
I ordered My Challenger with a manual without a test drive because I knew that's what I needed.
the Night I picked it up I eased off the clutch without any gas and moved the car out of the parking
space and down the isle. Heaven could only be better.
If 1/4 mile times were the issue auto it would be, no human can out shift todays automatics. Imo.

#16 · (Edited)
The 6 speed is fun, I will be getting another one when I get my Hellcat. If you go to the track and you are going for the fastest time go for the A8, if you are going for fun and more control get the 6 speed.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the responses, i was kinda leaning auto myself this time. I currently have a manual and while I do love shifting, the rush hour traffic can be a real mess. Plus it can be kind of annoying if i want to drive with the seat back a bit as my arm is kind of out of place handling it.

#18 ·
I have already put money down on my 16 SRT but now I am a week from coming back to the states and Im having the most insane internal debate. I still have not been able to nail down that I want the M6 because it seems the autos are quite a bit "quicker" I hate getting spanked by the same car at a stop light and it sounds silly but Its my own stupid mind. I don't "race" on the street but the occasional chemical in my brain that says do stupid things gets the best of me. I plan on building the car to supercharge it at some point. Just can't pay an extra 10k on MSRP for a Hellcat or wait 2 years for my order. Has anyone on here went from a M6 to an Auto and regretted it ? My wifes Charger Im alllllllways manual shifting, what can I say I like the sound and feel of the response. If she knew how bad I beat it I would never get to drive it again.

#19 · (Edited)
If you are a manual guy get the manual. I had a manual srt and I loved it. It is plenty fast and a blast to drive. Btw don't get the 392 if you really want a HC. I made that mistake a year ago because I couldn't find a HC. They are out there now even in tough markets. I am surrounded by ADMs but thankfully found a msrp allocation. I am not sure how much of a difference there is between auto and manual but I can say the difference between the 392 and HC is huge. The price difference is worth every penny. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 · (Edited)
I ordered the manual. Having driven the 8 speeds in all their versions at work (dealership) I was able to make an informed decision. I considered the automatic but I knew I would miss shifting and I would kick myself later, regardless of how good it is for an automatic.

#24 ·
I look at it this way, ive rebuilt a few automatics 727s and the 47,48RE , i havent driven a Challly with a 8spd but i seen vids and they are impressive, BUT they will wear and as they get miles and abused the internal seals and solenoids and clutch disks are going to wear not to mention torque converter issuses and heat that is created but if taken care of should last a long time, The 6 speed i see as a lower cost and ez to maintane tranny, even a clutch disk and pressure plate assembly can be upgraded to last and bite harder, like whats been mentioned replace the ATF4 with Royal Purple and shifting and heat is better taken care of, like what was said an automatic is faster as far as shifting and consistancy but a 6spd is still a good way to go as well and less heat and lighter to handle and internals cant be too hard or expensive to replace. thats my 02 cents

#26 ·
one factor to consider is the wheel hop issue with the 6m.... my 2015 rt 6m hops like a rabbit even on damp roads and have to back off....I know some may be driver error but I have driven 4 sps for 40 years and can't stop the hop.....I am considering some type of hop not kit....love to shift but hate the hop..... the autos don't seem to have this problem.

#28 ·
For those thinking "you need a manual to really drive a car to its limits" I present this Motor Trend video of an A8 Hellcat. The second half of the video is driving on a track, with the driver paddle shifting. The guy can drive. He keeps it right at the limit; he lets the back end come out just enough to control understeer and pick his line, but doesn't give it enough throttle to totally lose the back end (which we all know you can do at any time in a Hellcat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91jRLQa5U8E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.