Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Market Adjustment Crap!

11K views 73 replies 40 participants last post by  headhunter123 
#1 ·
So, I have been inquiring about a Hellcat that has been sitting in this dealership for a couple of weeks now, and about 30 emails in, we still can't reach a deal on the selling price for it. I keep telling him that I'm only willing to pay MSRP on it (maybe 1-2k above), and then he emails me back this reply......****ing pissed at this ******* and his reasoning!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Until the high demand is satisfied this will continue to happen. People are still willing to pay way over sticker for these.

#23 ·
This is exactly what happened in 2008. There was a ton of pent-up demand for the Challenger. Remember, the last year (of the real Challenger) was 1974. Buyers were willing to pay big market adjustments.

In early 2009, things eased up a little and SRTs were selling for MSRP. Later in the year, dealers were offering discounts.

If you want to save thousands, be patient, unless you have money to burn.

#59 ·
I agree, which is why I boycott every greedy dealer who gouges people when he can. He is free to do so and I am free to boycott him and discourage anyone else from shopping there. Gouging is legal but very bad business because I dont forget the greedy pigs who gouge and I don't give them my business.

#61 ·
I agree, which is why I boycott every greedy dealer who gouges people when he can. He is free to do so and I am free to boycott him and discourage anyone else from shopping there. Gouging is legal but very bad business because I dont forget the greedy pigs who gouge and I don't give them my business.
Words like 'greedy pig' don't apply here. He's not gouging, he a smart business man if he sells his entire allocation for as much over MSRP as he can. You may not like his pricing, but a bunch of other buyers did. Wouldn't you agree that your boycott would end the second he drops his Hellcat price to what you think reasonable? So much for principal.

Reactions: Spectre
#12 · (Edited)
Yeah be stupid and pay over sticker for a car that is almost a year old, so that when Dodge produces more than people want, you're stuck with an overpriced toy.
Tell Sony that just because he was stupid enough to pay 10K over sticker for a car, doesn't mean you're going to, and walk away.
Have some patience, eventually there will be plenty of them out there and the price will come down.
Get an SRT for now. It's got more power than you'll need.

And Superrock, if they underpriced it so much, why isn't the price going through the roof in 16?

#13 ·
Thank you!!! I'm all for the free market, and definitely appreciate its benefits, however what these dealerships are doing is plain stupidity. The people that were willing to overpay (no question of affordability here) already got their Hellcats. But to have a perfectly fine car just sit there is a crime. Give me a break already, there's profit and there's just plain ****ing stupid greed.

#15 ·
Picked up my new SRT after some warranty work done, this AM. The dealer here just got a new B5 Hellcat M6. It's a beautiful car; but, they want $13,400 over MSRP as a "fair market adjustment". Earlier this year, the CEO at Dodge advised dealers are making over $5400 when they sell at MSRP on every Hellcat they sell. That's almost $20K profit. I also have no problem with a dealer making a buck; but that is just plain greed!:notallthere:

#16 ·
local dealer in my area has a Challenger Hellcat for $100k

- I suppose they don't care about future allocations (they're based on the # of days HC models sit in inventory. Longer # of days = fewer allocations). This is designed to keep dealers from 'hoarding' orders.

They've sold a few other HCs that had $20-25K markup, but I guess their feeling bolder about it now.

Reactions: RWL11
#18 ·
The dealer here in podunk Florence, Alabama sold one for 80k. With hyped up high demand low volume cars like this, the dealer can ask whatever they want as long as somebody is willing to pay the $$$

Reactions: buckwheat
#19 ·
And the purpose of this post is? If you are dissatisfied with the dealer's customer service and pricing, take control of the situation and find another dealer and/or vehicle. If you desire a very specific color or configuration, of which only is only available at this particular dealer, then place an order for a 2016 (again, with another dealer) to ensure you receive exactly what you want and it's built/allocated in your name. The market on the Hellcat will eventually cool down. The same scenario was well present when the Challenger was first released and slowly dissipated as supply met demand. Patience and perseverance are the tools required.

#20 ·
Sony is,full of crap, anyone who is in the auto sales,business wouldn't do something stupid like paying 10k over sticker. A car to them is,the same as a t shirt to walmart, its just a thing they're selling.
Bet him $100 he can't produce documents to back up his story, better yet bet him and you get the car at msrp.
Why block the dealers sign on the building picture?

#22 ·
I took my Jeep into my local dealer the other day for a recall repair, and EVERY new car on the lot had a separate window sticker with MSRP and a "Dealer Fee" surcharge of $500! If this isn't bad enough, their sales contract adds another "Documentation Fee" of $395, so before even trying to negotiate pricing, you're already trying to overcome $895 for absolutely no valid reason.
When I questioned the dealer about the $395 Doc. fee, I was told, "that's something the state requires." Next time I see them, I'm going to ask why the next dealer only charges $99? Needless to say, there will never be a next time because I hate these rip off tactics.

#24 ·
You're "30 emails in" over "a couple weeks" with this dealer? He probably thinks he has his hook deep in you.

Make a final offer and move on. There's nothing to gain by continuing to engage him if he won't back off his price. If after several more weeks he realizes he needs to come down, he'll contact you.

#25 ·
Don't get mad at the dealership your trying to buy a car you can't afford.
Step up or shut up it's very simple.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey if your pockets are light don't blame the dealer.
Calling out the dealer of a Forum making BS claims is false.
Look in the Mirror that is why you don't have a Hellcat.
It's not the dealers fault.

#31 ·
MizzoRt the oil price is the same. Prices are made on market value.
Hellcats are a Halo car just as Tim K said 12 months ago.
That is why they have Allocation process in effect.
Expect to pay period. Very Very small percentage of people pay MSRP for Hellcats.
Only 6% of the buyers of Hellcats are on forums.

#42 ·
No, actually oil prices are very different from car prices. The Big Oil companies are free to sell their end products like gasoline and diesel directly to the consumer thru company owned outlets. If the oil market was like the car market, the government would ban the oil companies from selling you any gasoline.

Hopefully you can understand such a simple and straight forward difference.

Meanwhile, I just bought an A8 Sublime Hellcat at invoice. No kidding.

#32 ·
Andrew I bet if you offered 5k over you would then have them play ball on a Hellcat.
They know what they have on the ground.

#34 ·
A dealer here in New Jersey trailered a sublime hellcat 2 hours to a classic car auction. The car went across the block and was up to $10,100 over MSRP and the greedy pigs no saled the car and towed it 2 hours back to the showroom. 4 months later it is still in the show room. I guess $10,000 extra dollars wasn't good enough.
Most wealthy people won't pay that extra, it's the guy who wants to look like a big shot steps up and chokes on the payments.
People with real money respect it too much to just toss it away .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.