Mods to Win Car Shows? - Page 10 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#91 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH60L View Post
Maybe...maybe not. I usually don't open the hood on our car at shows because we have a factory installed T/A hood scoop, and the car just looks better (meaner) with the hood closed.

The other thing is, not eveyone has time to clean under the hood prior to a show. Two of the shows I went to this year, I had to work late the night before, got 6 hours of sleep, and then quickly washed the exterior of the car before driving to the show.

I've been looked at funny a few times for ding "too much cleaning" at the show (wiping around the trunk openning, cleaning under the hood, washign the windows.....). Apparently, some shows/clubs expect your car to magically appear at their show without ever getting dirty......and it's a feux-pa to be cleaning your car at the show.

A question I'd like to know....how many of you show winners use your car as a true daily driver? Our challenger is our only driveable car, thus, it gets dirty a lot. I've washed it as many as 3 times in a week before. Makes it hard to win against the ones that just go out to play once in a while and then show up super clean plus supercharged etc.....

Downside to keeping the hood closed is that if it is judged that way your going to get a 0 in points for motor. almos any car show ive been to or have judged if its closed up. it gets 0 points in that category. my car has flames all over it and i like people being able to see that, so at times i'll have the hood closed and at times opened, but it is always opened during judging. or if im not around the car and judges are going around.

not having time to clean the car isn't going to fly with any judges. so clean as much as you can. i generally spend tons of time at shows cleaning the car before its judged. weird that someone would look at you funny, ive never been to a show that it was considered bad form to clean your car. unless were talking about a major indoor show. for those. you should be done cleaning before the crowds arrive. any normal outdoor show ive never had an issue with it.

we drove and competed with our sunfire till it got around 100,000 miles on it, and by then it just became to impractical to drive it on the street daily because we had so much done with it. so at that point we relegated it to weekend duties, but even then we'd drive it to work here and there and most of the weekends. all that means to me as a judge is you have more cleaning to do then the next guy. and it comes down to who wants it more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sndsgood For This Useful Post:
redpearl (08-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndsgood View Post
Downside to keeping the hood closed is that if it is judged that way your going to get a 0 in points for motor. almos any car show ive been to or have judged if its closed up. it gets 0 points in that category. my car has flames all over it and i like people being able to see that, so at times i'll have the hood closed and at times opened, but it is always opened during judging. or if im not around the car and judges are going around.

not having time to clean the car isn't going to fly with any judges. so clean as much as you can. i generally spend tons of time at shows cleaning the car before its judged. weird that someone would look at you funny, ive never been to a show that it was considered bad form to clean your car. unless were talking about a major indoor show. for those. you should be done cleaning before the crowds arrive. any normal outdoor show ive never had an issue with it.

we drove and competed with our sunfire till it got around 100,000 miles on it, and by then it just became to impractical to drive it on the street daily because we had so much done with it. so at that point we relegated it to weekend duties, but even then we'd drive it to work here and there and most of the weekends. all that means to me as a judge is you have more cleaning to do then the next guy. and it comes down to who wants it more.
I think we're talking about completely different types of shows. None of the one's I've taken either of my cars ('69 charger, 2011 challenger) to ever got judged using a points system. For the most part they are judged by the other entrants, using a category system (IE best '60s car, best mopar, best paint, best 2000 and newer etc etc) and cars won via gathering the most votes (usually paper tabs torn off and put into a folder on your windshield...).

IE, I've never "lost points" for having the hood down. There is nothing to see under our hood but a stock 5.7 anyway, and compared to my '69 charger's 440, it's not much to look at.... We are usually part of a small minority of "new cars" at the shows we go to. I don't even think most people vote, because they don't like our cars being there. (which I can totally understand about the sedan....I hate when those show up at our show...)

Hard to believe, but even at what you guys would probably consider "old school" car shows, people can be sort of persnickerty about you cleaning you vehicle "too much" at the show. I even got some dirty looks at a cruise-in at our only surviving original A&W resatraunt this summer.

Reallity...we don't all have the money or time to do the level of cleaning/detailing/modding/upgrading etc that apparently is required for car shows these days......I wish I did, but I just don't.....
#93 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM

My wife and I have entered our into one car show and it is kind of funny to see peole's reactions. They would walk up to mine and see the automatic shifter and shrug their shoulders and pass by hers. The others would walk up to hers and see the 6-speed, smile then look at mine and walk away.

The big problem is that someone with a 775 hp super snake mustang parked next to us and stole the show.

So I would have to say if you want to win, watch who parks next to, or who you park next.

No matter what happes, remember it is all about having a great time...

Jeff
#94 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjackson9 View Post
Man I see where all the saved money went for buying a SE and not a SRT... wow love the look of this... What lowering kit did you use and hows the ride?

Mods:
Hurst Bullet/plus 2 shifter/w carbon fiber handle
Mopar door sill guards
Custom matte black stripes
Matte black spoiler wrap

#95 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Christine lives
all good advice...but.. I have brought her to three car shows and won nothing. Two of the events responses were..."it is a new car". that made me mad and wondered why a fricken Camaro (2012) won an event. I feel like now I will NOT partake in anymore events in Florida. I am moving to Connecticut and will enter her then.

2010 Inferno Red Dodge Challenger S/E

Mods

None. Car is gone!
#96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I leave the Challenger at home for car shows. I had it in 1 and won best mopar. I got home and someone in a wheelchair decided to rub his wheel down the side of the Challenger. I go for fun and If there is drag racing I go and watch. I take my all mopar Anglia and bring one home most every time. Lots of great looking challengers in this post so have fun at the shows and watch what goes down the side of them.
#97 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM

Garage
bigger is always better!!

#98 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is the fugliest thing I've ever seen..!! It doesn't even warrant being called a car.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
The Following User Says Thank You to WyGoSlw For This Useful Post:
CoSwift (06-20-2014)
#99 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmandude View Post
I built my last 3 cars with showing in mind. ('63 Impala, '72 Challenger, '90 Maxima). The import the most. Every show won trophies. The cars become un-enjoyable because I was afraid to drive/enjoy them for fear of dirt or damage. I never respected the new cars being showed because I always viewed it as "anyone can write a check, a real show car is built not bought". That way of thinking proved to be short-sighted as I learned that it is about the love of the car and enjoyment of the hobby and not some sense of one-upmanship. I have met so many people who felt more pride in their "purchased" car than I in my "built" car.

The trophies gather dust and mean nothing. The connection to the vehicle and the enjoyment of the hobby is all that should matter. Build your car to feed your pleasure. Don't worry what others' think and don't look for approval in a piece of plastic that sits on the shelf. Look for approval in the smile you get when you enjoy your car.
Now thats well said--acctually made me think about my perspective on cars at shows. I have now seen teh light, seriously, thanks
#100 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine lives View Post
all good advice...but.. I have brought her to three car shows and won nothing. Two of the events responses were..."it is a new car". that made me mad and wondered why a fricken Camaro (2012) won an event. I feel like now I will NOT partake in anymore events in Florida. I am moving to Connecticut and will enter her then.
buddy i been from hot import nights to every single car show in florida from jacksoville to miami. i stopped going because stupiest always wins here rather than coolest.. if you put alcoa 34's rims on your challenger and you put alligators skins and TV's in the headlights you will win first place... but can you even drive that crap later on? lol me i like stuff that is drivable and an upgrade from oem. not some TV's on the engine compartment..
so better look up there.. they probably take carshows more seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode