Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Mopar vs Chinese Door sills

26K views 160 replies 57 participants last post by  Jack44 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
If you buy the same product at 1/2 the price from China and you have issues with it, don't blame anyone but yourself. That isn't to say that they wouldn't work well enough, but I take anything being sold from China that says "Genuine" with a grain of salt.

Reactions: stevec3201
#4 ·
The ones from China are just fine.

Pretty much the same thing, clear down to the directions. Takes a little longer with international shipping.

#11 ·
Pretty much the same thing, clear down to the directions. Takes a little longer with international shipping.

Im looking to add door sill covers to my SRT. On ebay they have the "genuine" Mopar (still made in China though) or they have the guys from China selling them. Both say they are stainless brushed steel. Has anyone here had any experience with either?

Mopar version: $120

Door Sill Guards Sill Plates 2008 2015 Dodge Challenger Brand New | eBay

Chinese Guys: $50

Stainless Steel Door Sill Scuff Plate Guards for 2008 2014 Dodge Challenger | eBay

Thanks!
Awesome! Thanks. This was just what I was hoping for. I figure it's probably the same guys making both, only mopar throws in the old 200% mark up. Either way it's pribably worth the gamble. I'll order them and see what happens. I'll update this tread when I get them in.

#5 ·
They are exactly the same...well not on the price, but everything else LOL Like was stated above, they come with the "genuine Mopar" instructions.

#6 · (Edited)
For you guys that bought the dodge p/n did it say where they were made?

A lot of the challenger emblems etc are made in China, Republic of Korea, Mexico etc, I have seen it on the packaging.

I would buy the China version if they had the other style sill in black

#12 ·
I bought the "Chinese Guys" sills, but then I made my own and traded the bought ones for a spare CAI cover.

Must say, the quality of the "Chinese" ones is actually pretty good, and the packaging they came in was outstanding; no dents, bends, folds or wrinkles because they shipped them into a wooden box.

For the quality you'd get for that price, I'd buy them again.

#14 ·
I also bought the "less expensive" ones from ebay. No issues at all. Packing was great and have the same look and feel as MOPAR. Just a little longer on shipping. I also got the black letter inserts. 2 years and they still look great.

#16 ·
I got the black chrome too, I think they look great! :)

These likely come off the same assembly line as Mopar - packaged sill guards, no?

#20 ·
I've been trying without much success to find someone who can fabricate stainless sills with "SCAT PACK" embossing or inlays. The few companies I have found are either very pricey or are very slow with communication of next steps.

#25 ·
The ones I made aren't stainless steel, they're aluminum, but they're easy to make. You could apply vinyl graphics then cover with several coats of clear to protect both the vinyl and metal.

I did have to construct a metal brake to bend the lower edge to protect the edge of the sill, but that too was easy and cheap to do.

Reactions: RickLB and Madcoder
#21 ·
Let's see....looking for add-ons for a $50,000 car....hmm...I think I'll pay the extra $70....

#22 ·
Normally I 100% agree with you. Consider though that the MOPAR part IS Chinese and the replica part is Chinese as well (probably from the same people) Im inclined not to flush $70 strait down the toilet. If this was something more than just a metal plate, ie. an engine component or something, id just get the Mopar version. Just because I drive a $50k car doesnt mean im by default just blindly going to buy the most expensive accessories as well.

#26 ·
PaVa, I was looking at one of your threads a while back when you showed those. I admire your creativity. I thought through taking a try at it, and that was where I got stuck, putting a lip on the edge.

#32 ·
I have bought the $50.00 ones as well and I can't find a bit of difference between the Mopar set and the set from China for $50.00. Both sets are from China. These sills have been on Ebay for at least a couple of years now. I am surprised that someone with FCA has not been able to stop the sale of what looks to be a perfect copy that comes with Mopar copied instructions. I guess you can't control what is made and sold here from China.

#34 ·
I am looking into having custom sills made, which if I get them will cost 2x what the Mopar sills go for. Got to pay to be different >:) :notallthere:

#35 ·
Same thing goes for the R/T badges, I bought mine from China ($5) as opposed to the Official $80 ones.

The China ones are slightly bigger, color is spot on, who is going to notice? No one... unless they have a ruler in their back pocket.

:p

#42 ·
I don't think that "Made in China" necessarily means "Inferior" any longer. We (The USA) have pumped billions into their manufacturing infrastructure over the last several decades while closing our own manufacturing plants here. When I was a kid, things made in Japan were the junk of the day. That's no longer true. Chinese made products were once the junk of the day. I think it's safe to say that they have outgrown all but the reputation. Look at the quality of your iPhone, Samsung products, or whatever.

A previous poster said it well: most of the MOPAR goodies are manufactured there anyway. Very likely the Chinese-knockoff goodies are made using the same tooling, and maybe even in the same factory by the same workers. When you buy the MOPAR brand, you are paying for their blessing. It's up to you to decide how much that peace of mind is worth to you.

#46 ·
Chinese made products were once the junk of the day. I think it's safe to say that they have outgrown all but the reputation. Look at the quality of your iPhone, Samsung products, or whatever.
Yes, they are good at assembling things made under strict quality control oversight but the great majority of products coming out of China are inferior. Tools, hardware and housewares you buy today are made with one goal in mind, make it as cheap as possible and make it LOOK like it's quality. Someone above made the comment about stainless steel things made in China. Looks good but fails sooner than later. Here's a link to a Department of Energy regarding the proliferation of inferior goods coming from offshore:
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/06/f16/SCI_Training_Manual.pdf

However when left to their own devices they are the best in the world at copyright infringement. The finest designer knockoffs in the world come from China. Their counterfeit watches have gotten to the point where only experts can spot them.

So, let's give the devil his due.

Reactions: Madcoder
#52 ·
Was at my part time job Thursday and they handed me an envelope. Said I was't at the Christmas party. Opened it up and inside was a $50 check. Must have been an omen as I wanted these for years, but couldn't pull the trigger. Man, it's easy to buy on ebay now. Two clicks and it's yours.

#54 · (Edited)
That's great, too bad they didn't "stand over" the Chinese airbag makers, could have saved them milllions, guess the Mopar quality control was too busy keeping an eye out on these important door sills instead :grin2:

Chrysler Recalls 3.3 Million Vehicles With Takata Airbags ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
That was a Japanese air bag maker.
^^^^^ Yes. And, it was Dodge Manufacturing doing the air bag receiving quality control, not the MOPAR after market parts group. Otherwise, that was a clever quip.:smile:

#62 ·
Whoa, someone makes stickers for the lettering? I need those. eBay here I come!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.