Dodge Challenger Forum banner

More Rumors

57K views 341 replies 69 participants last post by  money2burn 
#1 ·
I picked up the following information from the dodgechallenger.com website,

The Brampton factory will produce 50,000 Challengers, starting in April 2008.

Source- Toronto newspaper (early Spring edition).

Chrysler will produce up to 100,000 Challenger a year, based on demand.
The first year, a 6.1 and a 6.4 will be offered.
In the second year, a 5.7 will be offered.

Source- A "connected" friend in the industry.

This information, of course, is unconfirmed but it makes sense and fits with what we have been hearing. :D

#2 ·
I hope that's good info. I wish Dodge would start letting us in on some official info instead of keeping us hanging out in the wind.

On a side note, I've also been tracking the 2008 Bullitt Mustang. There has been so much hype surrounding that car as far as engine size, performance, styling, etc. And when the official announcement was made a couple of weeks ago and the car failed to deliver what it was hyped up to be, there were a LOT of unhappy campers in Ford land.

Don't let that happen, Dodge. Start giving us some real info, so our expectations won't be unrealistic.

#3 ·
I think that the Toronto newspaper and the "connected friend" are right! That's exactly what I am expecting. I also think that the SRT Challenger model will be the top of the line Challenger (when produced every SRT model must be top of that line)...but later there will be a higher (+$$$) model under the Chrysler name called the "CUDA" ( a Challenger main body with few mods) which will have a 426 HEMI! Chrysler cannot afford not to do it...for status and publicity! TIME WILL TELL IF I AM RIGHT:D OR WRONG:( !

P.S. I will buy a SRT Challenger ...and hope to later trade up to the CUDA:cool:.

#4 ·
Cuda340 said:
I picked up the following information from the dodgechallenger.com website,

The Brampton factory will produce 50,000 Challengers, starting in April 2008.

Source- Toronto newspaper (early Spring edition).

Chrysler will produce up to 100,000 Challenger a year, based on demand.
The first year, a 6.1 and a 6.4 will be offered.
In the second year, a 5.7 will be offered.

Source- A "connected" friend in the industry.

This information, of course, is unconfirmed but it makes sense and fits with what we have been hearing. :D
This is good news, especially the 6.4 part. BUT, can Dodge really sell 50k+ Challengers w/o a V6?

#6 ·
Handmouth said:
If they price them right
I think that is going to be very important. I see more and more SRT Chargers in my area and most of them have no idea about the Challenger. I think it's going to take a great price and a lot of hype (how Challenger is better then the charger) to sell the first 50k without a V6 model.

#9 ·
Noid said:
I think that is going to be very important. I see more and more SRT Chargers in my area and most of them have no idea about the Challenger. I think it's going to take a great price and a lot of hype (how Challenger is better then the charger) to sell the first 50k without a V6 model.
Well, that sounds good and neat:cool: ; to me at least :rolleyes: ! Have Money {:p } Will Travel !!:D

#10 ·
rlgiv said:
They really do need to start running some commercials. The only people who really seem to know about this are us hardcore car fans and that isn't going to cut it if we want this car to stick around long enough for the car to evolve a little.
Yeah, I agree .I'd like to stage a coast to coast TV commercial ala Mister Kowalski style :for the New Chrysler Corporation ! Only this time have a dozen or so of us Challengertalkers; half in retro colors and others in new colors ...show a few Charger police cruisers:eek: trying to catch us..Wheeee;)

#11 ·
That's a pretty cool idea for a commercial. Show a couple of police Chargers in pusuit, lights flashing, sliding around curves. Show one of the officers radioing in that they can't catch the suspect. Then cut to a white Challenger :) Kowalksi rides again :)

#12 ·
Here's one of my commercial ideas.
Scene: Dodge neon sitting at a traffic light suddenly some kids pull up in a mustang cobra. They start laughing and pointing at the neon and start reving their engine like they wanna race. Suddenly the mustangs engine is drowned out by a really loud reving engine on the other side of the neon. It's the new challenger. The kids in the mustang of course instantly stop laughing and look straight ahead as if they are terrified. The neon owner looks over at the challenger and gives a thumbs up and a big grin.

Then some catchy dialogue about the new challenger comes on.

#13 ·
Handmouth said:
Here's one of my commercial ideas.
Scene: Dodge neon sitting at a traffic light suddenly some kids pull up in a mustang cobra. They start laughing and pointing at the neon and start reving their engine like they wanna race. Suddenly the mustangs engine is drowned out by a really loud reving engine on the other side of the neon. It's the new challenger. The kids in the mustang of course instantly stop laughing and look straight ahead as if they are terrified. The neon owner looks over at the challenger and gives a thumbs up and a big grin.

Then some catchy dialogue about the new challenger comes on.
...I like that idea...

I think the advertising possibilities are unlimited if they choose to take advantage of the situation...

HOW ABOUT...

...big city, deserted streets, late at night....

...a new Challenger sitting at a red light, shot looking at the drivers front from across the street....while the light is red, an old HEMI Challenger rolls up on the far side, next to the new HEMI Challenger...they exchange exhaust notes a few times, the light changes and the camera pans to the interior of the old HEMI Challenger and the long haired driver smiles and gives thumbs up to the new Challenger, pulls away and disappears as a ghost might....then the camera pans to the driver of the new Challenger as it pulls away from the light, same guy with shorter hair and a touch of gray...

..."Take A Walk On The Wild Side" ...Lou Reed

#14 ·
JS29R0B said:
...I like that idea...

I think the advertising possibilities are unlimited if they choose to take advantage of the situation...

HOW ABOUT...

...big city, deserted streets, late at night....

...a new Challenger sitting at a red light, shot looking at the drivers front from across the street....while the light is red, an old HEMI Challenger rolls up on the far side, next to the new HEMI Challenger...they exchange exhaust notes a few times, the light changes and the camera pans to the interior of the old HEMI Challenger and the long haired driver smiles and gives thumbs up to the new Challenger, pulls away and disappears as a ghost might....then the camera pans to the driver of the new Challenger as it pulls away from the light, same guy with shorter hair and a touch of gray...

..."Take A Walk On The Wild Side" ...Lou Reed

Great commercial idea!

Here's another entitled a "Legend is Reborn":

The commercial would have a guy daydreaming about the the 1970 T/A Challenger, the 1970 Jackie Gleason sheriff commercial, the 1971 426 Hemi Challenger, and the 2006 Challenger concept car. Then he would find himself in a Dodge showroom gazing at the 2008 SRT Challenger and admiring all of its features.

#16 ·
Dam, maybe dodge should hire us for the commercial concepts. You guys have some great ideas. Who knows maybe they will steal some from this site.

I just hope they don't do any of those silly cartoon car ads. I hate those. I want to see the real car in the commercials not the cartoon rendition of one.

If they do it right they will gear the advertising toward the correct age group. I don't think my age group is into kiddie cartoons.

#17 ·
Handmouth said:
Dam, maybe dodge should hire us for the commercial concepts. You guys have some great ideas. Who knows maybe they will steal some from this site.

I just hope they don't do any of those silly cartoon car ads. I hate those.
Yes, same as I've been thinking and I imagine that some of us ;) [myself for sure] could use some extra cash ; in order to even think about buying the Challenger ! Thanks, there are quite a number of us here with acting/commercial talents. I also agree that some readers could very well be snooping here ,looking for ideas for ads and other print material. I really think that Dodge utilized ideas I sent them years ago just when the Dodge Viper was coming to production: which namely was using their "Magnum" [idea] into other engines ...and as you know they did ! I guess myself and others should persuade Chrysler to hire us ideamen/Ideawoman !

#18 ·
Ragamuffin said:
Yes, same as I've been thinking and I imagine that some of us ;) [myself for sure] could use some extra cash ; in order to even think about buying the Challenger ! Thanks, there are quite a number of us here with acting/commercial talents. I also agree that some readers could very well be snooping here ,looking for ideas for ads and other print material. I really think that Dodge utilized ideas I sent them years ago just when the Dodge Viper was coming to production: which namely was using their "Magnum" [idea] into other engines ...and as you know they did ! I guess myself and others should persuade Chrysler to hire us ideamen/Ideawoman !
...I just hope they don't hire Celine Dion again to "Drive All Night".....first time I saw the ads, I nearly chucked....I made fun of the campaign on other car forums.....as we know, it was later demed a failure....

#20 ·
Need a commercial showing three 20 year old hotties clinging to a middle aged dorky looking overweight guy (like ummm...maybe my avatar). A handsome young guy looks at his friend and mutters what does the old guy have he doesnt. Then pan the camera and show the guy's Challenger.

Mid-life crisis guys around the country with the gold chains, sucked in stomachs, and toupees will sell their yellow Corvettes.

Cuda340, hope the rumour is correct. We dont need the 5.7L first. Doesnt make a statement like the 6.1 or 6.4.

#21 ·
MentallyChallenged said:
Need a commercial showing three 20 year old hotties clinging to a middle aged dorky looking overweight guy (like ummm...maybe my avatar). A handsome young guy looks at his friend and mutters what does the old guy have he doesnt. Then pan the camera and show the guy's Challenger.

Mid-life crisis guys around the country with the gold chains, sucked in stomachs, and toupees will sell their yellow Corvettes.

Cuda340, hope the rumour is correct. We dont need the 5.7L first. Doesnt make a statement like the 6.1 or 6.4.

Hmmmm, not so sure that will cause alot of guys to belly up to the dealership and fork over the cash for a new challenger.

It would be interesting to see what is the age range of interested buyers at this point. I'm 43. I'm probably in the age range.

Maybe a commercial of some old guy blowing the doors off some punk kid in a import would be fun.

#24 ·
It's really hard for them to get away with any racing references in car commercials anymore. This is the C6 commercial that Chevy was forced to pull off the air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YAt0GFsZU

Shows a kid driving, car jumping... all clearly a fantasy... no good.

I can't imagine them making 50,000 units and putting 6.1s or 6.4s in all of them. Especially since the SRT version of a vehicle usually comes out a year after the actual vehicle so the Skunkworks team has time to really tweak a high-performance package. And since the current SRT engine is a 6.1, I can't imagine they'd release a 6.4 that wasn't an SRT, nor do I think they'll have an SRT version the first year.

That rumor sounds awesome, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

#25 ·
DubleDex said:
It's really hard for them to get away with any racing references in car commercials anymore. This is the C6 commercial that Chevy was forced to pull off the air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YAt0GFsZU

Shows a kid driving, car jumping... all clearly a fantasy... no good.

I can't imagine them making 50,000 units and putting 6.1s or 6.4s in all of them. Especially since the SRT version of a vehicle usually comes out a year after the actual vehicle so the Skunkworks team has time to really tweak a high-performance package. And since the current SRT engine is a 6.1, I can't imagine they'd release a 6.4 that wasn't an SRT, nor do I think they'll have an SRT version the first year.

That rumor sounds awesome, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The July 2007 issue of Car and Driver stated the following about the 2008 Challenger: "Look under the hood for the 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 kicking up 425 horsepower, with the anticipated option of a 500-horse, 392-cubic inch V-8, as well as a base model with a V-6. In addition to the six-speed automatic, the hope is Chrysler will do the right thing and offer a six-speed manual in the spirit of Challengers of yore."

See my entire post under "Dodge Challenger- a Little Closer to Reality."

#26 ·
Cuda340 said:
The July 2007 issue of Car and Driver stated the following about the 2008 Challenger: "Look under the hood for the 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 kicking up 425 horsepower, with the anticipated option of a 500-horse, 392-cubic inch V-8, as well as a base model with a V-6. In addition to the six-speed automatic, the hope is Chrysler will do the right thing and offer a six-speed manual in the spirit of Challengers of yore."

See my entire post under "Dodge Challenger- a Little Closer to Reality."
Interesting information. According to this (I read the entire quote in the other thread) they'll have the 6.1 and 6.4 as well as the V6. It seems odd to me that they'd simply skip the 5.7 the first year.

I also find it hard to believe that they'd launch the SRT version simultaneously as the other versions. They haven't really set that precedent with any other vehicle. HOWEVER: They did have the SEMA S/S concept which could be a thinly veiled SRT test mule. And that would give some credence to that idea.

I can't even imagine how incredibly hard it will be to get your hands on an SRT version if it drops at the same time! 2008 is creeping up faster and faster - can't wait!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.