MUST-HAVE First Mods - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No worries

Originally Posted by Trainwreck2997 View Post
What is the purpose of a catch can and is it really worth it?
Yes. Catches any oil from getting into your manifold from the PCV. Not all of it gets to the pistons to get re burnt. It's not a must have , but anything that keeps it from getting gummed up is good. Proper warm up and long spirited drives helps a bit.

The same with the 180* thermo?
If you live in a warmer climate, it helps as heat robs power. The gas molecules are less dense when hot. You'll need a tuner to adjust the fan kick on thresholds.

As well as the Hurst short throw shifter
Some say it woks better. I have no 1st hand experiance with it. I like my stock shifter as is

As far as tuning what would be my best option I was looking at the diablo but I dont know anything about tuning should I go to a dyno for that and let them do that
It has canned tunes and you can fiddle after the fact. Most just drop the canned tunes in and say good enough. Custom maps are usually done an a dyno. More cost, but results are better depending on where you live. You can do a lot on your own. You need it if your going with the 180 thermo. You can also get rid of the skip shift as it's in most of their canned tunes. Also throttle boost. Theres more, but you should be able to find it around here.

Does the diablo let you change settings on the fly such as great mpg and then when someone wants to get beat put it on pure performance?
Not on the fly. It's not something that stays connected to your car. Saving your stock map, re-writting the map in the cars CPU, then disconnecting. The tuner is married to the car once you use it there. Keeps people from buying 1 tuner and using it on 6 different cars. I think it can be un-married buy putting the stock tune back in the car. Otherwise, how could you buy a used one? Not sure on that step?

Sorry about all the questions again Im new to this. Thanks
We all start somewhere. Lots of your questions are here. The search function is great and I'd suggest the 100 tips sticky.
I didn't know that ... Challenger Tips and Tricks

Last edited by Heywood; 12-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Heywood For This Useful Post:
Trainwreck2997 (12-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Everyone has made some great suggestions but let me add one more...

Exhaust - Blastin Bob's Resonator delete kit. The 6spd cars already have a great setup, you just need to remove the resonators. Plus the kit is super cheap compared to the others. Look up Blastin Bob's at least before you pull the trigger on something else.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Photos: (4)
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
6. California Duster
NO!!! Unless you like tiny scratches on your clear coat...

Go to YouTube and look up "The Junkman" on how to properly clean, polish, and wax your car.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by blackdeuce View Post
If your concern is keeping the car nice, definitely do the mudflaps. I went with the Mopar version. You will especially want these if you go to wider rear tires.
I sure like mine.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by georgethedog View Post
NO!!! Unless you like tiny scratches on your clear coat...

Go to YouTube and look up "The Junkman" on how to properly clean, polish, and wax your car.
I have more than enough wax over the clear coat. And have done the clay bar. It's not scratching or hurting anything.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM

We've had our car two weeks and it's got mudflaps, Solo exhaust and a catch can....

Last edited by Horseshoe; 12-22-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Photos: (9)
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
I have more than enough wax over the clear coat. And have done the clay bar. It's not scratching or hurting anything.

Agreed 100%. Given a proper "top coat" of a good carnauba, the California duster is perhaps the best cosmetic maintenance item I've yet to purchase. Even on amy pitch black car, it leaves no scratches, whatsoever. I have a cousin who uses a mini California duster (among other finishing products) on a $75K Steinway piano without issue.

Respectfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"
Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Photos: (4)
Originally Posted by beamg5 View Post
Agreed 100%. Given a proper "top coat" of a good carnauba, the California duster is perhaps the best cosmetic maintenance item I've yet to purchase. Even on amy pitch black car, it leaves no scratches, whatsoever. I have a cousin who uses a mini California duster (among other finishing products) on a $75K Steinway piano without issue.

Respectfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"
OK, I'll give because you seem to know what you are doing and I have used one inthe past VERY carefully. However, the average user does not use it properly and it tears up the clear coat. Most people will leave too much dirt & dust on the car when they use the duster and they use too much pressure leading to small scratches all over the place. Proper usage (very light and in one direction) barely touching the surface when there is only a small amount of dust on the car can yield good results, but I caution because it is abused and to some is a substitute to washing...

OK, back to the main topic. Sorry to take it in a different direction, but maybe someone learned some caution with the duster.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Best quick mods = Chrome Challenger Door Sills (have dealer install them so you don't have to worry about messing up the placement) and Hood Strut Supports. You can probably get them done at the same time for $200 if you talk to the service department nicely.

Couldn't get the Mopar mud flaps back when Chrysler went "ten toes up" in 2009. Got the Invisible Flaps from RPI (for like $40 front & back) I have been EXTREMELY happy with their product and customer service. Bring them with you to the dealership and they'll put them on during a tire rotation.
20x8's, HID Lights, Challenger Door Sills, Mopar CAI,
1970 Challenger & R/T Emblem on the rear spoiler,
Gas Charged Hood Supports, Mopar Nose Badge
276-watt 6 Speaker Sound
Exhaust: Flowmaster 40's
Mopar Strut Tower Brace
Fuzzy White Dice

"Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel!"

Last edited by BEIST; 12-23-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM

If you are referring to the sills that come from Mopar, I think they are stainless, not chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.