Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Need to remove bad paint job (engine cover)

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Force10 
#1 ·
Need a little help here. The first owner of my car attempted to paint the engine cover and it's a pretty sloppy job overall. The paint is coming off in spots and I would just like to remove it as best I can. Any suggestions on what I can use to remove the red paint? There is some overspray that is on the black plastic area that I probably won't be able to get off.

Here is a partial pic:

See less See more
#2 ·
i would recommend just buying a new engine cover and painting it urself heres a pic of min before and after

Attachments

#6 ·
Since there was no adhesion promoter used under the painted color,a heated power washer should blow it all off.Maybe try setting the cover on the ground and have at it at the car wash.

#7 ·
I screwed one up once. I used paint thinner. Worked good and didn't damage the plastic. Use gloves and a lot of paper towels. FYI, if you want to remove that center section flip it over, you'll notice all they did is melt the pegs of the center section to the cover body. Get a Dremel tool with a grinding stone attachment about the diameter of the peg. Grind out the center of the melted stuff. The melted plastic around the center will peel away after you do that. Grind just down to the unmelted peg. Remove cover and after it's painted use JB Weld. The quick drying type worked good for me. Apply JB Weld over and around the holes with the pegs and it will look factory.

#8 · (Edited)
Try using duct or strapping tape to remove what's coming off. Whoever previously painted that cover probably used standard spray can paint - a big no-no.

If a lot remains try Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover from walmart. Use a paper towel soaked with this liquid (keeping it wet) for 1 hour. This stuff will not harm plastic. Now's a good time to recycle an old credit card for scraping lifted paint.

If you ever want to paint it and save a ton of cash pick up some plastic specific paint called Krylon Fusion (Modified Acrylic Alkyd) while at walmart. This paint will bond and flex to plastic (no sanding prep needed). Use Fusion Clear to achieve that showroom depth if applied thick. Let it sit overnight then wet sand with something in the 1000+ grit range using a sponge to stay flat and smooth. Buff it down with clearcoat safe polish and you'll have a mirrored surface.

Here's an example of what can be done -

#10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a power washer so I might try that first and see how it does. I love the custom paint jobs you guys have done and spent a lot of time looking at the thread that shows your work!

I will probably end up buying one eventually, but for now I just want to get the red paint off so it doesnt look so bad when someone wants to see the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.