Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Never Say Never: getting an A8

8K views 69 replies 33 participants last post by  MuscleCarProf 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, for those that have been on the forum a while, you know I've been an adamant defender of the M6. Well…I traded in my M6 Scat Pack for a much higher optioned Scat Pack with the A8 (EricG you'd be proud). Should be picking her up tomorrow. The discounts on highly optioned cars that have been sitting are huge right now if you know where to look. I had to leave town to get this one but it was worth it. This one only had 14 miles on the clock as they wouldn't let anyone test drive it. They knocked 15% off for me. I remember when you couldn't find a Scat Pack below MSRP.

Two observations: the exhaust almost sounded louder than my M6 at start up. It had a very impressive bark and growl that I hadn't noticed with my M6 Scat Pack. Second: the A8 transmission seems to want to run hard and then go faster! Wow. It just flat out pulls! One additional observation: the ventilated seats are a must-have in Florida! My old car had cloth and while I actually liked it a lot, the ventilated seats make a huge difference here in the Deep South.

I still like and respect M6 cars and the guys who buy them but I get it now, the A8 is impressive. Plus it will be much better in my stop and go rush hour commute every day.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Congratulations :thumbsup:

A Guy

#8 ·
I clicked on this thread expecting to see pictures of your new Audi (A8) - LOL.

I've owned 6 Mustangs with manual transmissions, then finally saw the light with two automatic Mustangs. My current Mustang ('14 GT) has a bulletproof 6R80 automatic that I thought was pretty damn good. However, the A8 in my '16 Scat Pack is worlds better!!! Docile in normal mode, firm/quick shifts in sport mode. It's seems to have learned my driving style very quickly and it is always doing the right thing in the right gear - so intuitive!

Congrats to MuscleCarProf for the new ride!!!

#10 ·
Congrats on the new SP!

I went from M6 to A8 and no regrets either. :)

Need the Leather Group. If the car also has Scat Pack Appearance Group it will have the Bees on the seats, if it does not the seats will say R/T.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Congrats! You are part of the Borg now and have been assimilated. Who shall we convert next?? :up_to_something:

#13 ·
Congrats musclecarprof! You'll notice it's hard to use 1st gear on the factory tires, I'd recommend putting some big meats on the back and then get ready to enjoy! :) The A8/392 combo is a really fun set up for the drag strip and street light digs. It really doesn't need any mods. Well get a catch can on her ASAP though...

Reactions: MuscleCarProf
#14 ·
I went A8 with my SRT and prefer it to my last 6 spd Challengers. There's no way I'll go back to a manual because this A8 is so much faster shifting, and the different modes is a big plus too, since it turns off the MDS in sport mode for transmission setting.

#15 ·
Congrats!! Getting a better optioned car with lower miles doesn't suck huh?

I love driving with the windows down to hear that awesome "Braak!!!" at the shift from first to second that happens so fast you cant believe it. Miles of Smiles!!!

#16 ·
Oh no!

Just kidding. I'd like an A8 if I could keep my M6. Can't have both right now. I do like vented seats and heated steering wheel.

#17 ·
Just kidding. I'd like an A8 if I could keep my M6. Can't have both right now. I do like vented seats and heated steering wheel.

I wish they made a cooling steering wheel for us southern folk. Heated steering for folks in Texas??? :scratchhead:

#25 ·
LOL, Florida isn't the Deep South, sorry to say...its rather a melting pot!

Congrats on the new Scat.
I was speaking geographically, not culturally. As they say in Florida: "the further north you go in FL, the more South it gets…" The Jacksonville area is still fairly "Southern" in terms of culture. Not as much as when I lived in SC though.

#24 ·
Good luck with it. I had a 15 scat with the A8. I never drove it in "auto", but always in "manual mode". Loved it. I did, however, trade it in on a 16 SP shaker M6. Just missed banging, double clutching, etc. At the end of the day, it's about what's most important to you. At this time in my life, 49 years old, I still desire the manual. In the future...who knows?

#27 ·
When are you going to pick up this new beast????

#28 ·
I'm leaving in 30 min. It's about a 45 min drive from my house. Should be interesting, I'm bringing my 1 year old and 3 year old with. I'll get some pics at the dealership and post em up. It's the same color (TorRed) as my old car but literally has every option available with the exception of a shaker. I decided against that to get additional options and I like the standard hood as well. My old car had 3 options: tech group (with manual means almost nothing), stripe group (Not even full SPAG) , and nav. It took me a while but I really love the WRT wheels now too. They really look good with the black trim.

#29 ·
I used to be partial to manuals myself. In fact, the Mustang I traded in on my Scat was a manual. My daily driver truck is a manual. In the past, it always seemed to me that the manual cars felt like they pulled harder. Well, that all changed in a big way with the scat pack. I was open to either when I started shopping scats. I test drove both the M6 and the A8. I was amazed at how much harder the A8 pulled. You could really tell the difference. Best auto transmission I have ever owned.

#30 · (Edited)
Yeah I got mine and traded in my M6 without even test driving an A8 - I just saw a video of an acceleration run - I knew I could change without regret. When I got in to drive it home from the dealership I was like OH YEAH! At half throttle I was so impressed with how it pulled.

Can't wait for your pics, warm her up and drive it pretty hard and change the oil and enjoy! Train that PCM properly! ;)

#32 ·
Yeah I got mine and traded in my M6 without even test driving an A8 - I just saw a video of an acceleration run - I knew I could change without regret. When I got in to drive it home from the dealership I was like OH YEAH! At half throttle I was so impressed with how it pulled.

Can't wait for your pics, warm her up and drive it pretty hard and change the oil and enjoy! Train that PCM properly! ;)
I have to agree with you here. I was really careful with the break in procedure last time and I'm not so sure I care this time around. I even cut her loose on the test drive! Since I drove in with a SP they just handed me the key fob and said I could go… I really wanted to see how that A8 would feel and it was fast!

#33 ·
I remember when sports cars only came in manual. My first performance car was a 3000GT VR4 with a 6 speed. Autos were rarely offered on high hp car, and even then were slower than their manual counterparts. You had nothing to worry about.

Times have changed however, now you really must choose between:

- Get a manual and enjoy "driving" the car, but be prepared to lose against automatics even with lesser hp.
- Get an automatic to keep you in your power band at all times and thus win more races, however lose the satisfaction and thrill of manually shifting (paddle shifting just ain't the same).

#45 ·
I remember when sports cars only came in manual. My first performance car was a 3000GT VR4 with a 6 speed. Autos were rarely offered on high hp car, and even then were slower than their manual counterparts. You had nothing to worry about.

Times have changed however,...
Actually, that is not exactly true. It is lesser known that as early as the 90's there were 2 notable examples where the automatic was indeed faster (if only by a tick) than the manual counterpart. I believe it was the Corvette and Trans Am. Technically, a 3rd example was the 1991 Vector W8 TT, which pretty much ruled over nearly everything in its day, as far as speed (a McLaren probably being the sole exception)...essentially, the "Bugatti Veyron" analog for its time. It did so with an "archaic" 3-spd auto with ridiculous amounts of turbo-v8 power going through it (an insane hp rating into the 600's). Surely a berzerker example, but nevertheless, it did exist. ;)

#35 ·
Okay, for those that have been on the forum a while, you know I've been an adamant defender of the M6. Well…I traded in my M6 Scat Pack for a much higher optioned Scat Pack with the A8 (EricG you'd be proud). Should be picking her up tomorrow. The discounts on highly optioned cars that have been sitting are huge right now if you know where to look. I had to leave town to get this one but it was worth it. This one only had 14 miles on the clock as they wouldn't let anyone test drive it. They knocked 15% off for me. I remember when you couldn't find a Scat Pack below MSRP.

Two observations: the exhaust almost sounded louder than my M6 at start up. It had a very impressive bark and growl that I hadn't noticed with my M6 Scat Pack. Second: the A8 transmission seems to want to run hard and then go faster! Wow. It just flat out pulls! One additional observation: the ventilated seats are a must-have in Florida! My old car had cloth and while I actually liked it a lot, the ventilated seats make a huge difference here in the Deep South.

I still like and respect M6 cars and the guys who buy them but I get it now, the A8 is impressive. Plus it will be much better in my stop and go rush hour commute every day.

First I like to congratulate you, love the car,
but if you are like me, you be back, I love the 6 speed trans, I love to control the car when I want to shift and love the sound of downshifting lol, I bet you be back, if not you be wishing you had it in 6 speed, its addicted, but best luck to you brother.......yes it is faster then the 6 speed, but a little less fun as the car does everything for you lol.....:guiness:

Reactions: Davoo392
#42 ·
First I like to congratulate you, love the car,
but if you are like me, you be back, I love the 6 speed trans, I love to control the car when I want to shift and love the sound of downshifting lol, I bet you be back, if not you be wishing you had it in 6 speed, its addicted, but best luck to you brother.......yes it is faster then the 6 speed, but a little less fun as the car does everything for you lol.....:guiness:
Ha. Nah. :pimp:

#36 · (Edited)
Alright, just got her home about 30 min ago. Here area couple of pics. Similar to my old one but with every feature you can get (why I traded). My '66 GT is even peaking in the last shot.

Attachments

#38 ·
I can say that I will NEVER own an Automatic Challenger or Mopar Muscle car, classic or modern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.