Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New 2015 SRT vs 2013 GT500

7K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Rocco NY 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about trading my 2013 GT500 for one of the leftover 2015 SRT 392s. I enjoy the GT500 but honestly there are only so many places you can use 662 horsepower and the Challenger is just so much more comfortable. I was really impressed with the Challenger's technology and they still are decently powerful. Has anyone made the switch from a GT500 to a 392? I found a local deal for a brand new 15 with a sticker of $50k and it's discounted to $45k but the dealer said they'd go down to $43k. Anyone that has done a similar trade? Any advice on buying the 392 new/used? $7k off sticker seems decent although the trade on my GT500 is a little low due to the damn airbag recall.

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Well there are not very many places to use 500hp either so your choice would be based on comfort and tech. Those two items are something the Challenger has in abundance, especially in the SRT trim. At $43k for a new SRT, that is a great price! I would jump on that if I were you. I paid $49k for mine new in 2015. That GT500 is definitely a rare beast, probably a bit more than an SRT. The SRT will treat you well as it is a very well manner daily driver with plenty power in reserve for spirited days. Be advised that you are packing on a few pounds and things will get a bit more complicated when lining up next to somebody. I have constant traction issues when giving it hell so I am not always confident that I can take down whatever lines up next to me.

Reactions: Czechman
#3 ·
I came from a 2010 GT500 to an auto 2013 SRT8, not quite the power difference you will experience, but I have not missed the GT500 at all.

Reactions: Tight Lines
#12 ·
2013 GT500 is 660HP, big difference in the 2010 you had. The 2013+ GT500s are much faster than the SRT/392 Challengers.

I agree the OP, the 15+ Challengers have a great interior and lots of tech. To me, this makes it more desirable, and the HP is good enough for now :)

#8 ·
They only want to give me $41k for the GT500. Has the performance package and recaros with 29k miles it seems like a lowball offer to me. I'm hoping to get a quick sale privately instead.

Sounds like a great deal...butwhat color and options?
It's silver with black stripes. Manual transmission but I can't read the other options on the window sticker they posted a picture of. The resolution is awful but the total sticker is $49,375 after that gas guzzler tax.

That GT500 will hold it's value ten times better than the SRT. if I were in your position I wouldn't even consider it.
I agree but I was hoping since it's such a reduction from the original sticker price that a good portion of the initial depreciation hit will already be absorbed.

#7 ·
That GT500 will hold it's value ten times better than the SRT. if I were in your position I wouldn't even consider it.

#10 ·
I sold my modified (2.3 TVS) 2012 GT500 for my 2016 Challenger Hellcat.

My modified GT500 and Hellcat had similar power, but the A8 is a game changer.

This A8 shifts so quick and keeps you right in the power band. I would never go back to a manual after driving the A8.

The Challenger's IRS gets better traction on the street than the GT500 solid axle and does not step out as bad as the GT500. The ride is also much smoother.

Another thing I love is the Challenger has so much more interior room. I am 6'-5" and 295 lbs. so I am a LOT more comfortable in the Challenger.

But, I do feel my Shelby was a better looking car.

Good luck in your decision.

#13 ·
I sold my modified (2.3 TVS) 2012 GT500 for my 2016 Challenger Hellcat.

My modified GT500 and Hellcat had similar power, but the A8 is a game changer.

This A8 shifts so quick and keeps you right in the power band. I would never go back to a manual after driving the A8.

The Challenger's IRS gets better traction on the street than the GT500 solid axle and does not step out as bad as the GT500. The ride is also much smoother.

Another thing I love is the Challenger has so much more interior room. I am 6'-5" and 295 lbs. so I am a LOT more comfortable in the Challenger.

But, I do feel my Shelby was a better looking car.

Good luck in your decision.

the wheel hop with the IRS is a big downfall in my opinion. the solid rear axle of the Mustang is a plus at that power level. I have a buddy with a 2014 GT500 and it's bone stock yet absolutely awesome. if only they had offered the 6R80 in the GT50

#15 ·
What does an airbag recall have to do with ur trade in price? That's something that would have to be done no matter what. If they r telling u the price for ur trade is less due to a safety recalled item then they r bsing u. It won't cost them a dime.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#17 · (Edited)
"the wheel hop with the IRS is a big downfall in my opinion. the solid rear axle of the Mustang is a plus at that power level."

A lot of GT500's had problems with wheel hop also.

So far, I have experienced very little wheel hop on my Challenger Hellcat with 555r drag radials.

#18 ·
I'm sure I'd get plenty of wheel hop if I launched at 2500+ rpm. When I lived in NY I had a 2012 5.0 and that had awful wheel hop. I think it was due in part to the colder weather up there (I'm in Florida now) but a nice set of wide tires ans some suspension mods cleared that right up.

#19 ·
Have you considered the Hellcat? I'm a big fan of the SRT/Scat Pack Challengers (biased of course) but it seems like more sense for you to trade to a Hellcat if you enjoy that type of power. You get the best of both worlds really. All the power of the GT500 (and a little more) and all the comfort and tech of the SRT Challenger. Unless you are trying to tone it down a bit or are trying to stick with no payment.

I wouldn't bother trading the GT500 in either, although it does make it easier, I am quite confident you will get a buyer for that car private party that will net you more than 41k. And probably relatively quickly. Even an extra grand or 2 would make it worth it to find a buyer IMO. Just depends on your situation of course. I can understand trade in being more painless especially if you don't have the title yet, etc.

#24 ·
You'd probably get a better negotiated trade-in price if you were buying something pricier like a Hellcat (or even a 2016 SRT8). That 2013 SRT8 is already pretty heavily discounted, so the dealer probably doesn't have as much wiggle room as they'd have a new/pricier model. Just sayin'....

#26 ·
You'd probably get a better negotiated trade-in price if you were buying something pricier like a Hellcat (or even a 2016 SRT8). That 2013 is already pretty heavily discounted, so the dealer probably doesn't have as much wiggle room as they'd have a new model. Just sayin'....
Eh, not really. If they discount a car more heavily it's because they anticipate they make more money on his trade, and visa versa. For example, if they will give him 1000 under invoice for example (so lets say 42k for the SRT) and they give him 41k for his car, that's not a bad deal.

But let's say OP is able to sell his car for 43k on the private market. But now the dealer is only going to offer him invoice price on the SRT (reasonable price) let's say 43k, the OP comes out ahead by a $1000 in that deal.

Just because the dealer is willing to sell the car a little cheaper because of the trade doesn't mean it's worth it. They are just going to turn around and list it for 48k+.

Some guy traded in his charger scat pack out here with less than 10k miles. Dealer have him 29k. They listed it for 40k :laugh2:

#27 ·
Ok I'll explain the money situation to everyone. The dealer offered $41k on a trade and in Florida there is a 7% sales tax savings, or $2,870 making it comparable to a private sale of $43,870. The issue is that I owe $48k on the car, so I'd have to roll over around $4k into a new loan or pay off the difference in cash. I guess the value really took a beating since I daily drive this car lol. I had originally started looking at used scat packs because I thought it would be nice to have a lower monthly payment so I'd have a little extra cash for some mods, but this brand new SRT was appealing to me at such a discounted price and the fact that it's brand new. Have I considered a Hellcat? Absolutely, but for another $20k to buy a used one over a brand new SRT isn't worth it to me at this point.

I know I'd definitely be taking a hit on the performance factor, but I think the additional features and comfort offset that pretty well. I also don't think people will cringe when they see 30k miles on an SRT like they do with a GT500. I'm also 26 and I just recently moved from Long Island to Clearwater and my whole family still lives in New York so I thought it would be nice to have a car that would be comfortable to drive a long distance like that if need be (or to Miami, New Orleans etc.). I'm 5'11" 245lbs with pretty broad shoulders and a small waist and the Recaros in the GT500 are a little tight on me but the SRT seats felt perfect.

#28 · (Edited)
been here before. Best bet is your probably going to sell it in the 45 zone, which minus taxes youll pay, you might come out 1000 ahead, if that's the case, to me give to the dealer and its out of your hair.

Obviously you are going to want to discount the new car as much as possible to absorb the negative equity that you are throwing in there. as in 2-3 years that SRT will be worth 30 and youll 35, and be in the same boat.

Not to nanny, but it might come to a point where you have just break clean or pay off things to get out from under water in the car or you will always be there. Moving from muscle car to muscle car with negative equity specially on that kind of dollar, might not be the wisest.

Another option is looking at refi what you have. Lower your loan amount etc.

#36 ·
If resale value is important, the gt500 wins here no question. If it's for a daily driver you should definitely drive both and just see what comes down to you liking better.

I personally like everything about an SRT challenger better for a daily driver as far as looks, comfort and technology go, and the fact that I wouldn't want to DD a gt500. For exclusivity though, the GT500 is the clear choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.