Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New front license plate idea

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  kenphjr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Probably not legal.

#7 ·
Are we sure about that? There is no criminal intent here and you would keep the real plate in the car or on the dash when parked, and obviously it's a front plate with another real plate in the rear. I looked around a few forums and haven't seen where anyone has gotten grief over this, one guy even said his local cops asked where they could get one. Just kicking it around. Maybe some of you front plate state guys could get a movement going to legally allow this if it really would be a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Are we sure about that? There is no criminal intent here and you would keep the real plate in the car or on the dash when parked, and obviously it's a front plate with another real plate in the rear. I looked around a few forums and haven't seen where anyone has gotten grief over this, one guy even said his local cops asked where they could get one. Just kicking it around. Maybe some of you front plate state guys could get a movement going to legally allow this if it really would be a problem.

Your car, your choice. Go for it, but if you get popped, well we told you so! Why give them another reason to pull you over?

#11 ·
I've seen euro cars around here with their New Jersey rear plate on and a european plate (long style) with their correct characters on them and said they don't get hassled. At least the sticker is a mirror image that can identify the car it's stuck to. Copying money is all about intent to defraud, this item isn't intended to mislead anyone. The worst thing is they would say to put the proper plate in front.

#16 · (Edited)
Intent doesnt always mean you cant get into trouble, and intent doesnt stop you from getting a ticket, summons, arrested. You still may have to go to court and fight your way out of it.

Same could be said for speeding I didnt intend to speed or intend to go home and beat my wife.

If it went that far, which something like this would probably be a warning or a simple ticket, but if it did go to court, its a slam dunk. You could say you didnt intend to defraud, but the prosecutor will pull up the DMV regs or state laws, show that you cant do alter a license plate, which at that point you intended to change the plate. ALso unfortunately ignorance is not a defense either so you couldnt say you didnt know you couldnt change the plate

Im not playing all hight and mighty here as I have a sto and go plate system. But I wouldnt get in the business of recreating a legal document/sign.

#12 ·
Why bother when $3 worth of sheet rock clamps fasten the plate to the lower grill?

#14 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
I did the flipped OE bracket / toggle bolt install last fall. With a dab of thread lock and a couple pieces of double sided tape between the bottom of the bracket and lip spoiler, it is solid.

For < $5, it works well and looks are more than acceptable to me, with no potential legal issues, no holes and the bracket is a first line of defense against curb rash on the spoiler.

Attachments

Reactions: PSM450 and c26bt34c
#19 ·
picking mine up today, and MADE positively sure the dealer wouldnt install it. I wish NY would stop this. I probably would risk it and not run one at all, but I need a front plate to get to work, Ill probably get the hide a plate stuff, as I still like to run without it.

#21 · (Edited)
As I said, a photocopy fake front license plate sticker will get a person arrested at least in my state if you catch an officer having a bad day. Regarding the other solution mentioned, well my driveway is steep and the spoiler misses scraping at the closest point by about 1/8 of inch !!! This rules out those mounts that go under the spoiler. I would also be concerned in general if something does ever hit that underneath, and the damage occurring if it moves the plate etc. For me it's not about the money, yet regardless of cost I can't find what I want. Personally I think with 30+ states requiring front plates, manufactures need to rethink it into to the aesthetics of car design and not make it an ugly afterthought especially on their 'non-boring' cars.

Since my car will not be a daily driver I began thinking about mounting something with zip ties, so I googled that idea figuring someone else must of thought of it first. As expected yes they did, just not for a Challenger. I am not guaranteeing this to work for a Hellcat, but I am going to at least attempt this type method once my plates come in. I know that someone has already used toggle bolts and the clumsy OEM challenger bracket, but something like this method below with a slim bracket might offer a more delicate solution. Time will tell.

Some variations of the concept:

No drill front license plate mount for Fiat 500 under $5 | [alt] Make

BMW Front License Plate Installation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.