Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New to me 2015 SRT 392

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  damnimcooltom 
#1 ·
I used to own a Black 2012 R/T, but this winter acquired a Sublime 2015 SRT 392. It was a pre-production pilot car, so a couple of the items in the car are different than it should have been for 2015. The car has been in the garage since the day it arrived, since it was snowy, but I've finally gotten to get it out and play. It has way more power than the crappy tires can handle, so I will need to get some better tires, asap.

So, the car has the large head unit, and the build sheet states it's Harmon Kardon, but the speak and amp setup is the earlier nine speaker, lower wattage Alpine setup. The other strange thing is that it has the Brass Money wheels listed, but I was told that Chrysler had supply issues with them, so the car was fitted with flat black wheels. The car was built in early spring of 2014, and I was told the Brass Monkey shortage lasted into the actual production run of 2015 cars, so that would make sense.

In any case, does anyone know if the earlier 5-spoke Alcoa SRT8 wheels fit over the 2015 brakes, an have the same offset as the 2015 SRT? I've always liked how the black pocket Alcoas looked, and I have a set of the regular wheels in the shed I could get powder-coated, if I want, but I wasn't sure if the wheels had the same specs as the 2015 392s or not. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Obviously, I think your taste in cars is top notch! I read a post a long time ago that a 2015 SRT owner fit a set of Alcoas and they fit fine. The 6 piston Brembos will be the determining factor. No problem on the rears, but the fronts?

Hope someone with more wheel knowledge can help you out. I'd be interested in knowing too.

#6 · (Edited)
I can't say they will or they will not, but I can say it's possible that they may not.
The earlier wheels can have the identical specs as the '15 wheels and still not clear the brake calipers.
So don't do anything until you can confirm the earlier wheels do in fact clear the front 6-piston Brembos.

Different wheels have different caliper clearance due to spoke design/placement.

EDIT: I should point out that providing the wheels clear the brakes, the offset/backspace do not necessarily have to be identical, but would have to be checked for clearance.

#32 ·
I pulled one of the wheels out today, and verified that the backspace is the same as the current wheels. The older SRT wheels are 9", so they are .5" narrower, all from the outside. I did try one of the wheels on the front, and it cleared the Brembos, but barely. The 2015 wheels have plenty of space between the backside of the wheel face, and the caliper, but with the older wheels, it's only about .25" or so. I think they'd work okay, but after seeing how they'd look, and knowing they'd be heavier, and narrower, I think I'll stick to the 2015 wheels.

I think the older wheels also make the car look older, and not as bad-ass.

Attachments

#7 ·
There was a pic of a Hellcat with them and the owner said they fit.

Seems hard to believe without spacers.

You have the 4-piston or 6-piston brakes?

There was a pilot car here last year with the 4-pistons.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I saw the posts from the guy with the smaller brakes. His car was a little older than mine. My car was built on May 9, 2014, and I think his was in April. Anyway, I am glad to have the larger brakes. I'm not sure which stereo setup sounds better. I haven't heard one with the 18 speaker setup, or however many it is supposed to be.

#9 ·
SRT's were originally supposed to come with the WP3 wheels, but they switched the brakes to the 6 piston Brembos, which wouldn't fit under those. Here's a promotional picture with those other wheels, which I think are great looking. So great looking that I bought a set of these!

Attachments

#13 ·
Looks great. I wished they would have kept the 4-pistons standard and the WP3s. I believe the SRT Track Package, (big brakes, wheels and tires) which all production 2015-up SRTs ended up having, was going to be a $2700 option. Just don't know if any of these Pilots had a window sticker, I kind of doubt it, but would like to see it price confirmed. I know it's on the build sheet.

#10 ·
I'm liking the HK stereo but Sound Group 2 sounds pretty good.

Did you get a window sticker? Just curious if it shows the SRT Track Package on it and how much it was.

#11 ·
If u have nine speakers plus the subs then it probably is the 18 speaker HK. All the little speakers in the cabin r 2 way. That's how they come up with 18.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

#16 ·
The build sheet says 9 speaker on it, when all other 2015 build sheets I've seen say 18 speaker.

Mine shows: RC3S 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer and RFDS 506 Watt Amplifier.

The regular 2015 models show an 18 speaker system, with the subs in the spare tire hole, and a 700 watt green amp, if I remember correctly. My car shows Alpine logos on the door speaker grilles and no subs in the spare tire hole.

#14 ·
I didn't get a Window sticker. Since it was owned by Chrysler, I'm not sure if there is an "original dealer" I could contact to get my hands on one, either.

I do see an option AZT SRT Track Pack listed in the optional equipment. Is that what you're talking about?

#15 ·
I didn't get a Window sticker. Since it was owned by Chrysler, I'm not sure if there is an "original dealer" I could contact to get my hands on one, either.
Probably no window sticker on a pilot car and guess no dealer either.

I do see an option AZT SRT Track Pack listed in the optional equipment. Is that what you're talking about?
Yes. That was to be optional but they ended up making its standard, but it still shows as an option.

#33 ·
How did you end up with, what looks like, matte black wheels? Thought the SRT's came with hyper black wheels.

#34 ·
This is a pre-production pilot car. The build sheet says it is supposed to have Brass Monkey wheels, but I was told they weren't available at that time due to a manufacturing delay of some sort. The car was built on May 9, 2014. I have no way of knowing which wheels actually came on the car, but I did see one other sublime pilot car for sale at the same time I bought this one, and it also had the matte black Hellcat wheels. The VINs on the two cars were just a couple of numbers apart.

If you read through this thread, you'll see other items on the car that weren't available on the production SRT 392s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.