Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New - Modification questions

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mississippi Queen 
#1 ·
Hello!

So I just purchased a 14 Challenger Black Top. I'm not really sure where I want to go with this car. It's my first non-import so everything is new to me. From the "hemi-tick" to shift skip, or whatever it's called, there seems to be a lot to learn.

I'm guessing there is a thread about this but I don't really feel like going and searching for hours. What advantage do I get for spending $1500 on a full exhaust system? Why not just do the resonator delete? I just what the car to be loud. I think the resonator delete would be the easier route if I need to go back to stock. Any advice?

Also, any other "start-up" modification suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#5 ·
And/or you'll be thoroughly confused!

I know a LOT more now than I did when I started visiting, but there are so many opinions on exhaust systems (for example) that I've decided that I'd have to listen in person to any system I was considering before choosing. And that's not just startup and idle, but riding in the car, listening in the 1900-2300 rpm range for the dreaded drone!

#4 · (Edited)
I'm assuming you have a manual? If so there are quite a few that have resonator deletes. With the auto the drone with the MDS (if you don't shut it of via a tune) gets really annoying for some on the drone.

What you can do is go to a muffler shop and have them cut it off and drive it around for 15 minutes. Drive it around for a bit and if you hate it have them put it back on. I've heard of some members doing this to test it out and it's not too expensive.

#6 ·
A good first mod is window tinting. It's not expensive, it looks good and it eliminates the "Fish bowl" effect.
I thought that the car was way too quiet with the stock exhaust so I started looking around and was shocked by the prices I was seeing. I went with the resonator delete option and couldn't be happier. I think this is how the car is supposed to sound.
Having owned a Ram for years, I thought the Challenger's handling was amazing...according to my wife, I was wrong.
Found a great price on a strut bar and It did make a big difference.

Everyone is different, what bothers one person about the car may not be important to another.
Find the things that you think need improvement and then look here for options.
You don't need to do everything at once.

#7 ·
Welcome aboard!!!

No need to spend $1500 on exhaust but it needs to open up and get the muscle sound going for sure!!

I spent a bunch of money and found the simplest is the best and that is leave you resonators on and stright pipe your mufflers. Great sound, not too loud but is a lot louder than stock has a very muscle throaty sound. Absolutely no drone this way. Cost $60 at local muffler shop. Don't like it put it back for even less than $60.

Wish I had found this sight when I was trying to figure out what to do. Could have saved my self about $1800. Some said remove resonators and I did and it had horrible drone when in 8cyl mode or 4cly mode for I had an automatic. Don't know if that is true for the sticks but don't know why it would not have drone either.

good luck and hope this helps!

#8 ·
That's for the advice everyone!

I'm definitely tinting soon. I'm not crazy about people being able to see into my car. But that's pretty subtle compared to altering the sound of the car or the handling.

I guess I will continue to research when I have time. Most likely going with a resonator delete or something cheap. I rather spend that $1500 on a beater 4 banger I can use for commuting.

Again, thanks everyone!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
It's been crazy since I've joined this site, like previously stated. If you think it, your question is answered on here somewhere. If you want a great sound, go with the Magnaflow catbat exhaust. Dont buy from dealer or any site that has it priced > $1000. Go to ebay and search around, you'll see quite a few for $1100 OBO, offer them 850-900 and youll get it. If you have an Auto you will have drone with Magnaflow, but after about 500-700miles on the exhaust it goes away or lessens in drone. A tune to shut MDS off is the best option. Since being here Ive added, cat back exhaust, CAI, headers, diablosport custom tuned. Stay with us and you'll do great things!

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.