Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New Pennzoil SRT "Branded" Ultra 0W-40 Motor Oil

19K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Yaanufs 
#1 ·
I wish Chrysler, Dodge, SRT would make up their minds and settle on something.

First it was Mobil1 - then Pennzoil - then earlier this year, back to Mobil1!

Well now Pennzoil has now announced a "new" SRT branded 0W-40 motor oil specifically designed for SRT motors.:dunno:

Looks like Pennzoil's checkbook was larger than Mobil's.:icon_biggrin:

New Pennzoil UltraTM 0W-40 Designed For All SRT Vehicles | United States

Automotive Performance Brands - New Pennzoil Ultra; 0W-40 Designed For All SRT Vehicles

All I want to know - am I going to get a NEW oil cap because of this stupid political (yes - that's what it is) mess?

JFF:D

P.S. - This new Pennzoil Ultra is guaranteed to add at least 25 HP!!! ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
JFF...all I can say is AMSOIL. Decision was made...this is great oil. No I don't sell it. I just use it.

#4 · (Edited)
Same here, brother. Amsoil also came in the #1 spot in ELEVEN major oil filter tests in terms of micron size particle filtering, durability & construction. I only use Amsoil products for my car's lubrication system, because it constitutes a much more important amount of protection from wear than the difference between 0w40 and 5w40, which is non-existent unless you're driving in -20° weather.

- R

#3 ·
Pennzoil is recommended by Ferrari for their US cars. Fiat owns Ferrari. Fiat also owns or owns a good chunk of Chrysler. Pennzoil wins... Manufacturer aside, I'm still at a loss on the whole 5W vice 0W grade debate...BTW, my oil cap alreadys states 0W-40. But my dealer used 5W-40 for the first oil change :dunno:

#5 ·
IMO, it's all "marketing" and corporate "business".

As long as the oil meets the mfg's spec and is the recommended weight, I'll use whatever brand is on sale, or whatever I'm in the mood to buy and try.

I've never had an oil related issue with any engine in over 40 years of driving my cars hard.

Right now I'm using Castrol Syntech in my R/TC. For the winter, when it gets more down time, I'll go back to a non synthetic.

For some reason, many of my cars just seem to "use" less Castrol than other brands. Probably due to the additive package in their oil, but I just prefer Castrol.

That being said, I have no problems with Penz or Mobile One. I don't like Quaker State............................I don't like "green" LOL

Marketing folks, just marketing.

#6 ·
Manufacturers contract with suppliers that will meet their spec and the price the maker is willing to spend.

Since every SRT vehicle comes down the line with 7 qts. of (fill in the blank) oil, that's a lot of product purchased during the year (for all SRT: Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and SRT-only models).

Its similar with tires - sometimes a different supplier will have a more favorable bid and if it meets the mfgr's criteria, they use it.

#7 ·
I find it silly that our engines take 7 quarts and they sell cases in 6 quarts or a 5 qt jug...

Anyhow, if you're interested in purchasing this, here's a link

Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40

#13 ·
I just ran into this earlier this morning. I took my car into the dealer for an oil change and checkup. The local dealer lets you bring your own oil in, so I told the guy I bought my own oil.

"What kind?"

"Mobile-1 Synth"

"Why?" (the accompanied look on his face made me think I had just told him to put River Water and used Coffee Grounds into the engine)

He then proceeded to give me a five minute lecture on how Pennzoil Synth was better because blah blah blah and Mobile-1 was "ok" (which the look on his face then changed to disappointment...like I was a toddler who just flushed dad's new cell phone).

Look Pal....this car has 140,000 miles on it, I've been running mostly Mobile-1 in it for almost 9 years, and it runs like a top.

I have nothing against Pennzoil (that was what I was originally going to buy when I was at the store, but they were out of Pennzoil Synthetic 5W20...so I bought Mobile-1)...but this "Hard Sell" crap is just taking things a bit too far.

#16 ·
Ill use whatever they want. Now days if there is an engine issue they want receipts and documents showing service. They will void the warranty on any technicality. If u change the oil regularly there will be no issue with whatever u use. I use the pennzoil they suggested but I also get a nice discount too so that puts it about $7 a quart. Not to shabby

#22 ·
Not sure how much benefit the Moly is, but I believe that Shell specifically had to bring 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra to the market because of a cam phasing problem with the SRT engine. There was a problem using 5W40.

So I think the critical aspect for the cam phasing is more to do with the oil weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.