Dodge Challenger Forum banner

No test drive after major service?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  FWB 
#1 ·
I just had the timing chain recall done on my '13 R/T. I will state up front that the car is running great since the service and I'm really not complaining. This is just an observation. My car has a dashcam installed. When I got it back, I was curious about what it saw. The car went into the bay for about 4 hours. It was started and stopped 2 or 3 times right at the 4-hour mark, then it exited the bay and parked in a spot until I picked it up. According to the invoice, they did the recall timing chain procedure, two software bumps, coolant and an oil change.

Does anyone think that's odd that it never had a small test drive, or is that standard operating procedure these days? Or...do you think the dashcam scared them off?? The car is running fine without issue so I'm not mad, just curious.

#2 ·
Definitely is odd and unacceptable imho and I think any owner having any major service done should insist on a test drive before accepting the car. Glad it worked out.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
There must of been a super mechanic working on your car to replace the timing chain, and do the other work in 4 hours. If I get a recall on my 13R/T, I will be marking bolts and other brackets to be sure it was taken apart.
And I also heard that the timing chain problem was resolved by 2013. I do not think about the chain because I turned the MDS off the day I picked it up.

#5 ·
.Your 'evidence' doesn't make much sense to me....were you actually getting video feed, or just some sort of table of events?

When it 'went into the bay' for 4 hours, did they do any work under the hood, or did it just sit in the bay untouched? You don't say, so it's hard to make any sort of judgment.

No, there's no need for a test drive after such work.

1) If the mechanic has been there a while, he's done a hundred of these already so it's not like he's curious to find out if he did the job right

2) A test drive might catch some mistakes, but it also would not catch many others. They don't pay mechanics to test drive....that's your job. At least, when you buy a Dodge it is. Go buy a Bentley and things might be different.

#6 ·
The camera comes on and off with the ignition and it is windshield mounted. There is a time-stamp on each scene. If the car wasn't running, there isn't any video.

The 2013's were added to the recall a few weeks ago. I guess if the engine was made in 2012??

#7 ·
Keep in mind that dealers and techs are paid on warranty work done within very strict time standards set by the manufacturers. Service departments may lose money on some warranty repairs and since the repair is a manufacturer recall, they are rushed to get it done and out the door.

Road tests cut into the time allotted.

#8 ·
Having my own bad tale and know of many others, I'm not sure I want some tech "test driving" my challenger. Every time mine comes back from service, I have a new scratch someplace..
If there are no issues, you might have gotten off lucky with them not doing one...just say'n.
Hemi4us

#9 ·
2013's have been added to the PO1 campaign recently.

Regarding the test drive, I wouldn't think that it would be necessary for the timing chain recall. I could be wrong though.

#10 ·
As a former service tech I don't find that strange.Though personally I would have done a quick trip down the street but after the repair the car started with no abnormalities or leaks it was a done deal for this tech.The tech may have done this repair a dozen or so times and did not feel the need for a test drive.

Also he may have other repairs pending on another customers car.I had one bay with a lift and a spare bay beside that.It never failed that someone from sales would pull another car behind my 2 bays and inform me that this car needs a look at asap though I have one on the lift and one in my spare bay torn apart.

Some tech's are better than others hopefully you got a good one.

#13 ·
They did a test drive on mine after the P01 recall, however they forgot to turn the radio back down, wipe the greasy hand prints off the fenders and hood, refill the coolant or change the oil.

The tech did manage to leave a Snap On ratchet and a couple sockets behind, found them in the belly pan.

#15 ·
where do I find the recall info? I was at the dealer last week and no one said anything about it. it is a 2012

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.