Oil Change Interval - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil Change Interval

I realize there has been many threads started regarding how many miles you should get between oil changes and of course if you should have a catch can or not but....

My question is regarding oil change intervals when you DON'T reach 3,000 miles within 6 months.

I understand with normal mineral based oils you should probably change the oil every 6 months due to break down of the oil from gasoline blow bye and / or moisture condensation within the oil system. But what about the synthetic oils? Do these follow the same 6 month change interval, regardless of mileage?

I am asking as I know little about the synthetic oils other than that they cost more and provide better lubrication.

Anyway, give me your thoughts :-)

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness." Some of us may have crossed the line.

Mods:
Functional hood scoop, DRL's enabled, Charger intake tube, Solo Mach X cat-back exhaust, Diablo InTune, SX catch can, Sequential taillights, Pistol Grip shifter, Custom smoothed intake manifold, Custom built covers for coolant tank, fuse box, valve covers, and ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,068 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Change Interval

With synthetic, I was told by my mechanic that the 6 month rule does not apply. Unless the car has been in non operating mode for a while.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

HEMIPHEVER TUNED, HURST SHIFTER, MAGNAFLOW COMP SERIES 16885, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR FRONT & REAR BRACE, 275/40/20 NITTO NT05 TIRES, STOPTECH BRAKE LINES, CARBOTECH PERFORMANCE BRAKES
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So HEMIZSP, if what you were told is true, it might make much better sense for us "weekend drivers" to run more expensive synthetic oil and only change it once a year (assuming you only drive around 5,000 miles per year or so)?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM

I have done yearly oil changes in some cars that I rarely drove. I would not push it much more than that though as the oil can gel up. And that is based on mineral oil too.

Last edited by rscarawa; 01-28-2013 at 07:48 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
So HEMIZSP, if what you were told is true, it might make much better sense for us "weekend drivers" to run more expensive synthetic oil and only change it once a year (assuming you only drive around 5,000 miles per year or so)?
I have been thinking of this very thing! I am going to ave 5000 a year (as this is what I did in 2012) so ..... I might have to think about synthetic!

R/T (used to be Cuda Cliff) Bee

1954 Plymouth Savoy
1959 Chevy Apache

"She may not be the youngest gal at the ball ... but she can still turn a head or two"

[/url]
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Oil Change Interval

Actually I bought my car 9 months ago and I only put on 2400 miles so far. But I plan to change it at 3k miles. Just because its the first oil change. But then again you can only put synthetic in the 392. I plan on changing it every 3k. That's once a year. Just to be on the safe side.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Try finding the answer on this motor oil forum. They have LOTS of information here, all you ever needed to know about oil, and then some!

RWL11
VP, PDX MoparLX, OR
2013 R/T Classic, Auto

Mopar Sequentials & Stage 1 Springs, Speedlogix Catch Can & Strut Brace, Charger Intake, AEM Air Filter, Blastin' Bobs Resonator Delete GP225CE, Billet Tech: Engine Bling, Wheel Center Caps, Interior Bits plus Pedal Kit. Customized Engine Cover, Drake All-Satin Fuel Door with Billet Tech Fuel Door Insert, Tred-Wear RWL kit, MGP Caliper Covers, Skene Designs license plate bracket, EZ Pull Trunk Straps, DRL's:ON! Stripes by Mitch Kim
The Following User Says Thank You to RWL11 For This Useful Post:
PlumCrazy392 (02-02-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Oil Change Interval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda Cliff View Post
I have been thinking of this very thing! I am going to ave 5000 a year (as this is what I did in 2012) so ..... I might have to think about synthetic!
If you do 5k a year, just do the synthetic and change it once year. I would not let it go past one year even if you gonna do UP to 8-9k miles.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL11 View Post
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Try finding the answer on this motor oil forum. They have LOTS of information here, all you ever needed to know about oil, and then some!
Wow, you are not kidding about LOTS of info. Have not found my answer yet but did find a lot of other good info.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,579 Times in 978 Posts
I'm doing mine every six months regardless of mileage.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode