Dodge Challenger Forum banner

oil level question

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Valley 
#1 ·
I changed my oil and filter, letting it all drain out. Following the owners manual I put in 7 quarts of oil. Prior to changing it the level was even with the full mark but after changing it and running it, I let it sit overnight and after checking this morning it was about a quarter inch over the full mark.
I'm surprised it's not exactly at full now. Any ideas?

#3 ·
If parked on a level surface (front-end not dipping slightly) scratch a new line on the stick because that's exactly 7 quarts.

Some sticks are off from the factory... because others have noticed this as well. Did you use the same OEM/length oil filter?

#4 ·
I used a Mobil 1 filter and they were both the exact same size as I compared them prior to using it. That was a great thought. Interesting thing I noticed is the Mopar filter was etched with the words "factory installed" which I've never seen on any other new car I've owned.

#8 ·
Thanks for trying. What I find unusual is if Dodge says it's a 7 qt. fill and I'm showing over the line then how was the level spot on from the factory?
I took it out for some exercise and got the usual thumbs up from a few people. Just sitting in it is therapuetic.

#11 · (Edited)

Basically it's the amount of 8 hr. cool downs that determines the next oil change - all based off running conventional oil stock. If you think about it, the more short trips done (many restarts) will degrade the oil much fast than long drives with few shut downs. There doesn't seem to be different algorithms for conventional vs. synthetic oils.

Oil Condition Trend Algorithm
United States Patent 6509749

An algorithm by which a time normalized oil condition trend (OCT) is developed. During engine off periods, while the engine is cooling, the vehicle's main computer program implements the trend algorithm according to the present invention by which engine oil conductivity (oil sensor output voltage) and temperature data are obtained in a specified temperature range, and are then input into a cool down equation to determine its coefficients using nonlinear regression.

This cool down equation models oil conductivity as a function of temperature and is used at a specified time during an engine-on period to calculate an OCT point.

Collectively, these OCT points determine the oil condition trend that is analyzed by a procedure called from the vehicle's main computer program to determine when an oil change is necessary.

The method of wherein the cool down equation of said step of generating is given by V=aT2+bT+c

Wherein;

V is a voltage output of the oil condition sensor.
T is a plurality of temperatures selected over said range of cooling.
a, b and c are constants.

Source: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6509749.html
Document: Download PDF 6509749

In conclusion;

In the Challenger NGC (PCM) is a software routine (ie. mathematical modeling algorithm) that over time evaluates the number of cool-down cycles, WOT modes, engine runtime hours (start cycles, etc) and mileage factors.

Like the description above, the NGC also monitors oil “conductivity” to learn and track the moisture content which degrades oil viscosity and lubrication ability over time. Using the oil pressure, oil temperature and other vital engine sensor inputs the PCM (NGC) can determine the engine oil viscosity.

Incorrect viscosity will affect the operation of the MDS by delaying cylinder activation.

#13 ·
Old school guys pull the dip stick lick it and determine whats up

#16 ·
you can reset the oil change indicated by

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start the engine.)
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly, 3 times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF.

just make sure you keep track of your millage/time to next change/oil look and smell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.