OMG!!! Rattle in dash FOUND! No clue how to fix it!!! (w/ video) PLEASE HELP! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OMG!!! Rattle in dash FOUND! No clue how to fix it!!! (w/ video) PLEASE HELP!

I finally located the source of my buzzy rattle problem after spending about an hour uncomfortably inverted under the steering column!

I'll let the video speak for itself!

PART 1: Searching For Rattle

PART 2: Rattle Found

PLEASE tell me how to fix this!! Also, let me know if this is the dreaded rattle you guys have been hearing too!

TOGETHER WE WILL BEAT THIS!!!

2012 Dodge Challenger 392 SRT-8, 6-spd, Header Orange
MODS: Zoomers 3" Cat-back Exhaust w/ X-pipe, Speedlogix Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake, Diablosport InTune, Hurst Competition Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Mopar Strut Tower Brace, Mopar/Kicker Stage III Audio, Diode Dynamics LED Footwell Kit, 20% Tint

Last edited by Ironside; 05-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I say blame Mercedes. Their name is written all over it lol.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bral
I don't know what would be worse - living with that rattle or getting under the steering wheel column to work on it. (I'm a big guy ) Hopefully someone has a good idea for a fix.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 AM

it looks to be part of the tilt mechanism. Just for grins, if you are able wrap it tight with some good vinyl electrical tape and tap the column. See if it stops. Then take the video to the dealer to show the technician that is going to fix it permanently. Keep us posted.

After "exploding" the video it looks like the lower piece is vibrating. Are you getting your thumb on that part that turns and stopping the noise? There also looks like a through bolt going through the column holding the bracket you're isolating. Can you check that for tightness and see what happens? Don't crank down too tight. Just try to cinch it up a little.

I used to chase rattles in a dealership years ago and they can be time consuming and frustrating.

Conceived - 12-03-08

Born - 03-09-09

First seen On the truck Easter Sunday - 04-12-09

Brought home - 04-13-09

Mods so far.
Mopar hood props
Mopar locking gas cap
RiderGraphix - Challenger R/T script in gloss black on spoiler
Mopar locking lug nuts
Mopar T-shifter
Mopar Challenger door sill guards
Mopar Challenger car cover
Mopar Cat-back exhaust system
Billet Tech. - Satin Catch Can

Last edited by STONEWHITE R/T; 05-23-2011 at 05:33 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM

Amazing detective work and amazing video from a cell phone! You have infinite patience, but then I know how it is with a rattle; I hate them too.

I doubt there are many technicians that would be able to troubleshoot this to the degree you have.

There appears to be a gap between the collar you're putting pressure on and the acual column itself. Can you try wedginig a shim or something between them?

In any case, with the video a tech should be able to enact a fix. Keep us apprised.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Noz- the piece he is placing his finger on is a collar around the steering column. Notice how the stainless part turns. He has to isolate the collar or tighten up the through bolt a little bit.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM

That is indeed some serious detective work. Bravo sir. I have not tried to recreate it yet but will do so when I get home today & post results. Sure sounds like it initially.

Also previously had a rattle in the rear - fixed - tint personnel failed to fully re-secure back seat (after also scuffing the hell outta my back seats...), but yep - for future reference, if that back seat isin't latched fully, it can make a hell of a racket that sounds nothing like a simple unlatched seat.

Thanks tons for amazing camera work/audio & posting!

'11 Black 392
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM

WOW!!! Your not going to believe this but I have almost the exact same rattle that shows up and then goes away in my 2004 Ram truck. When it shows up, usually after I hit some pot hole or some kind of bumpy surface, it won't stop. If I push on the dash or hold on to the steering wheel tightly it stops. I have been under my dash several times and can't seem to locate exacly where it's coming from. When I'm under there, I can put pressure on a bunch of things and it will stop. BUT, I can't seem to locate exact cause. After I park it and drive again later, it's gone. SAME INDENTICAL NOISE! And like you, when I tap on the steering wheel it make same kind of a clicking rattle noise. That tells me that there's something in common that their still using between vehicles for the past several years. I have tried a bunch of things, rubber shims, tape, wire ties, you name it and I still can't get it to stop. Your's sounds like it may be there all the time and those kind of noises drive me to distraction. But there is something in common that they've been doing for the past several years that is capable of producing this sound.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice work finding the general area, having done this type of work for Ford, GM and a few others in the past for a living identifying the cause is the most difficult part. Now it's just a matter of isolating why. As mentioned above, try working the tilt and telescoping mechanism and see if the buzz gets better or worse. Sometimes loosening up the clamps to the column and re-clamping them down may have an impact. I would also check up higher in that same location. Meaning the bracket you put your thumb on is bolted onto a bigger bracket connected to the body either going upward or forward. Grab a hold of this bracket and see if the buzz can be stopped by putting pressure on that. The premise is this rattle even though it's stopped by pressing on that area may be telescoping through the brackets and by putting pressure there may be stopping this buzz on the other end. You may also want to grab a pry bar of some type and gently pry around this area, not to bend anything but just disturb then normalcy of housings, brackets, mounts. Sort of treating it like a exhaust pipe shield buzz. when I used to get those all I did was to grab my extra large screwdriver and pry on the shields. Unless they were cracked and needed to be replaced, prying on them just enough to tweak them a bit. Almost always this would fix this type of exhaust buzz. Not saying the buzz is the same but the premise is same.
The worst case scenario is the issue being inside the column housing, this could prove to be a RPITA. I'm assuming you're not under warranty any longer so taking it back to the dealer may cost you a few hours in labor.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
#10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeah, that is where the column connects to the rack. Actually when you get the column you get that whole thing attatched to it but anyway. Do what the above post said. Should do the trick.

2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride
100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28
With drag radials, tune and CAI...............best of 12.008 @ 115.74

Last edited by SRT8Tech; 05-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode