Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which one to buy loaded 09 SRT-8 vs new RT

7K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  elie 
#1 ·
I have found a couple of Challengers that I am strongly considering, and want your thoughts on which one to buy:

1, Loaded 2013 RT Classic, in the color I want, with manual transmission, custom leather interior, sports pack, top of line stereo with HD, etc. $34,000 +ttl, located out of state so add on another 8% use tax to bring it into the state, probably another $500 in cost to fly there and get it home.

2, Low miles (12K) 2009 SRT-8, loaded, track pack, kicker stereo, car cover,20 inch wheels, 3.92 rear end, etc.color I can live with, not my first choice though located 100 miles away, in state, $33,000 private party sale so no sales tax, family selling car, young man that owned it died a couple of years ago, and has been is storage since then.

any thoughts?

#2 ·
Have you driven a R/T vs SRT? I have had both. I like them both. The SRT is a stiffer ride, tighter suspension and great brakes (r/t has good brakes not great) and the SRT seats are slightly more firm (both are very comfortable, my wife hated the R/T seats). Seat of pants no engine difference although at the track there is. 2013 new vs a 4 year old car, paint scheme you like vs eh.

#4 ·
Well I have talked to the guy with the SRT again, and it sounds like there may be some room to negotiate on price, If I could get it for say $31,000 or maybe a bit less out the door, vs the about $36,000 for the new RT once you add in tax, etc. due to that private party in state vs out of state tax issue. Does this change your thoughts any. I have test drove a pre-11 RT, but not an SRT or newer RT, have sat in an newer post 2011 RT though and like the ergonomics.

Ike

p.s. my wife likes the color of the SRT better and hates the color scheme I like on the RT

#6 ·
You are going to have to pay sales tax on the used car when you register it. Here in Pa., 6% x $31,000.00 = $1,860.00. Plus, don't you have registration, title, etc to pay whether new or used?

I paid $31,488.00 for my 700 mile 2010 SRT8 in January of 2011. Yeah, I got it cheap, but I think anything over $28,000.00 is too much for a 4 year old SRT8.

JMHO Rob

#7 ·
They do it odd here on sales tax for private party vs. bringing a car in from out of state that is bought new. Leave it at less tax is paid for private party in state sales, vs dealer sales from out of state.

#12 ·
Yeah, what are the color choices for both cars? The good thing, except for the steering wheel, you can hardly tell which year your Challenger is, except for the new car smell. Your vale will go down in a few years as it will be a much older car. The older the car the flatter the value between the models. JMO. Don't do what we think. You are the one owning and driving it. Unless you would like to tune it or like stomping on the gas, I think the R/T would be your better buy.

#13 ·
I am in Louisiana, a number of years ago the state Legislature passed some laws to discourage people from driving across the state line to buy cars cheaper in Texas or Mississippi, this had the effect of paying "sales tax" where it was purchased from an out of state dealer then "use tax" upon bringing it into the state. Looking into the matter a bit more it looks like since I would not be buying in a neighboring state if I bought it from the dealer out of state it gets around this double taxation deal. Still the way they figure it there are still advantages to buy in state from a private party as the amount of tax then is based on KBB value in fair condition not the actual sales figure, but if bought from a dealer it is based on actual price paid, I know crazy.

#16 ·
That's a big "If"..

I'd say get the 2009 SRT. The aftermarket has been setup for awhile, theres a ton more available.

Than comes the "when" they release the tuning for the new models. It's all speculation at this time. It could be a few months, could be a few more years.

#15 ·
I love my R/T to death! BUT.....if i had the opportunity to get into a low mileage SRT, regardless of year, without increasing my payments (pipe dream i know) I would do it! Just my honest opinion...I am of the population that feel the challenger is under powered and owning a 2012 locks me out of doing the mods needed to rectify the former statement. Best option....by an SRT.

#19 ·
This may not help any, but it's my "used SRT8 vs. new R/T" story.

I fell in love with a loaded Torred 09 SRT8 with 10,000 miles on it. I was in trouble when I found out the price and believed I could not justify spending that much for something like that.

Then I discovered the R/T and there was hope! I got one with what I wanted on it which included most of the options the SRT had hooked me on, except of course for the Torred, but black has been a favorite of mine for a long time. (The Redline just doesn't do it for me.) It was only about 50 HP less than the SRT8 6.1L, and cost me about $3000 less, and it was brand new! No brainer for me.

#22 ·
I guess I should probably not say that this SRT8 is likely to work out $3000 or so cheaper than the RT depending on how things fall and the exterior just happens to be Torred

#24 ·
I say go with the new R/T. Its the right color and trans, its got a full warranty and who cares if an SRT is faster? The R/T is as fast as you will probably ever want to go.

#25 ·
Personally, if the new R/T Classic is the color you want and has the Super Track Pak and the options you want, I would go for it. I like new a lot better than used and, in my opinion, in terms of performance there's not a big difference between the R/T with the STP and the 6.1 SRT. The 392 is a different story.

#26 ·
I loved both my R/T and my 2 SRTs...as a daily no kidding every day driver, go with the R/T...in the color you want!!! As for me I can only drive the SRT now...I don't drive it every day, but when I do it's got to be an SRT!!! Stay "fast" my friends!!!

#27 ·
I drove all of the models. I felt the 2011 RT classic with track pack was a much nicer riding car than a 2010 SRT I test drove. Steering seemed so much tighter. And I love that I was able to add the new SRT steering wheel to my car. Do some research on what they changed from year to year. If you can get a new SRT.

#31 ·
I really don't know what I am going to do with it, been there and done the modding stuff on my Mustang GT, in fact probably have a thousand dollars or more worth of parts that I never got around to installing. (likely selling the Mustang to my brother in law, he has been begging me to sell it to him for the last couple of years). I am sure I will do the common minor bolt ons, not sure about major stuff though, but the shaker hood systems are tempting, of course so is a Kenne Bell supercharger....

Ike

#33 ·
When I was buying my SRT last February I was in the same boat as you. It was an '08 Hemi Orange SRT with 19,000 miles or a new '12 Red R/T. I knew there were only 2 colors I loved, Hemi Orange and Plum Crazy Purple. Also I test drove both cars. The R/T was an awesome ride but it still wasn't as nice as the SRT. So I bought the used SRT. It is my daily driver and I haven't regretted that decision once since. This car still puts a smile on my face every time I see it, start it up, and/or slam down the accelerator. If the money's the same, and your comfortable with the payments, go for the SRT. But the again I am biased. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#34 ·
if you wanna go super fast and be free to mod your car at your choosing, go with the 09 SRT.

if you want a brand spankin new car with ride quality that will trash the SRT, get the RT.

i was presented with that option 3 weeks ago.

found the RT for 33K and there was an 08 Hemi Orage SRT with a hair over 9000 miles on it.

it's an auto and they wanted 36,999 for it - i think they were high on Angel Dust.

i'm looking at it right now and it looks like the sale price has been lowered to 35,991.

didn't even go talk to them, but the car has been there for 4 weeks THAT I KNOW OF.

i drive passed it every day on my way to work - they have it parked next to a yellow C6 that they've had there as long as the Challenger.

after driving the 2011 392 and my 2012 RT, i don't think i could ever go back to driving an 08 or 09.

Used 2008 Dodge Challenger For Sale in Houston TX | Stock 0080280A

#36 ·
Get the SRT.
You can mod it from day 1 - theres a positive
You can just wrap the car in 3M Vinyl if you want a different (original) colour - theres another
You get to join the SRT club - Positive

Negative - The RT is newer..but its an RT, you may not like it as much as you may like the SRT.
Negative - Cant mod the RT from day one.

If it were up to me, id buy the SRT, change the wheel, wrap the car and buy the 2011 bumper. After those starters, id go crazy with it.

Shifty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.