Overall Quality of the Challenger? - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What is your impression of quality of the Challenger
High (its solidddddd) 74 22.22%
Above Average 134 40.24%
Average 86 25.83%
Below Average 37 11.11%
Might as well be a Kia 2 0.60%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SuBXeRo
i am very quality concious and this all makes me a bit warey of buying the car, especially dropping 32k on a brand new car which buying used isnt an option since it seems that dodge has made improvements over the older models.

My biggest drive to get this car is that it is a hige 2 door with a big trunk and back seat. I am loking at 370z's too but they are just a 2 seater with almost no trunk at all. My assumption is that the camaro and mustang are going to be like quality to the challenger since they are both american and americans are dumb and don't watch their foreign competitors which salughter them in almost every category. I want something high HP/TQ and around 32k all in. Tough margins to work with (brand new)

"The Black Beauty"
2012 Challenger R/T Black with Super Trak Pak with 5-Speed
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Deck (running 3-way network mode)
-Arc Audio KS 300.4 - 90 watts X 4 channels @ 4 ohms for front stage
-Arc Audio KS 300.2 - 700 watts X 1 channel bridged @ 4 ohms for subwoofer
-Hybrid Audio Imagine I69-2 Woofers and Sundown Tweets
-Dayton Audio 8" rear deck IB subwoofer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Photos: (0)
Originally Posted by sitedrifter View Post
I would not condemn KIA in the poll. I have seen and driven the new Optima and it is outstanding as far as the fit and finish goes on the models I saw. Not sure of long term but short term it looks to be a winner.

My Challenger on the other hand has had it full share of issues (and continues)

1. Windshield leaks water when it rains or is washed (fixed although half ass)
2. Driver seat mechanism went bad (fixed)
3. wheel alignment was off (fixed by 3rd party, Dodge could not do it)
4. paint peeled on the head cover (fixed)
5. a/c line damaged from rubbing #1 coil pack (fixed)
6. rattle inside my dash (intermittent cannot locate to fix)
7. engine intermittently boggs/loses power (no fix, will do nothing since they only felt it once and no other times. I am pressing hard on this issue)
8. sheet metal ripples (pictures are at Chrysler Digital)

Total days without my car in the past 10 months = 41 days (14 percent of my ownership)

I never had a car in my life that had so many QC issues in such a short time.
Wow, that's a lotta crap going wrong. I've been more fortunate.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by slorob View Post
No offense to Audi fans but they look so generic IMHO. The only thing that stands out is the rings on the grill. Looks are important to me and I drive a Challenger because it's has a BAD ASS persona and is fun to drive.

I have had one issue with my R/T that was quickly repaired, a faulty fuel pump. I expect to have more as time goes on.

I had more issues with a 2006 Impala SS I bought new. The sun visor broke on the way home from buying it, the plastic trim pieces around the windows looked like they were peeling clearcoat after 2 years, I had numerous irritating rattles behind the dash, I had a consistent tire pressure sensor issue that the dealer could never seem to fix no matter what they tried. The paint on the hood was doing that dry lake bed thing in one spot after 3 years. The drive train was great though, no issues to 70K. The dealer fixed most of it except the paint and the tire thing.

I never owned a Honda or an Audi but I bet if I did I would find the overall quality to be great, better than Dodge or Chevy. That being said, I know folks that own Hondas and they have mentioned small flaws in the paint, and they also have crappy looking plastic parts after a few years. Their fabric seats have been known to fade in the sun. No car is perfect.

What I find here on CT is many car enthusiasts that talk about common issues that come up with these cars. My guess is that we as a group are way more discriminating and mention every little thing. I haven't really hit other car forums but I'm sure there are issues with just about any car that are common with that brand. The real issue is do the dealers fix stuff under warranty?

So far so good on mine. I'm just gonna stay on top of any issues and enjoy driving it.

Cars sure are better in almost every way than they were 40 years ago but it's all relative to the times and the competition.

Does anyone have a Honda beater I can buy to drive to work? I hear they run forever. I'd like to garage the Challenger some of the time so I can enjoy it for many years to come.
My sister test drove a honda civic and accord 2 years ago and their interior were such ****. She wound up getting an altima because hands down, in every way the altima beat it in interior quality. Car manufacturers love to slack and it sucks. This is a reason why i love mercedes, rock solid cars but everyone has a c300
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sun Roof, don't get one, mine has refused to close 3 times, won't use it anymore, and to fix the headliner has to be dropped down, my headliner was never the same, it has since been replaced and that required removing the front windshield! Also, the usual trim problems, but I wouldn't trade the rock star feeling of driving it for anything else, so I voted above average.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM

does the material come off of the headliner and droop?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah it droops really badly especially on the drivers side, there are several threads here about the infamous headliners being to small to begin with, have them replace if yours is doing that Dodge is aware!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Photos: (9)
Hmm. Never had one problem with my wifes Kia...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by SuBXeRo View Post
i am very quality concious and this all makes me a bit warey of buying the car, especially dropping 32k on a brand new car which buying used isnt an option since it seems that dodge has made improvements over the older models.
You're correct that many problems have been corrected over the years and the 2011+ have vast improvements. But you'll notice that with few exceptions, everyone who has had multiple problems still want the vehicle. There's just something about Challengers. Knowing all this, we still want another one.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjb4450 For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (11-26-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo View Post

My biggest drive to get this car is that it is a hige 2 door with a big trunk and back seat. I am loking at 370z's too but they are just a 2 seater with almost no trunk at all. My assumption is that the camaro and mustang are going to be like quality to the challenger since they are both american and americans are dumb and don't watch their foreign competitors which salughter them in almost every category. I want something high HP/TQ and around 32k all in. Tough margins to work with (brand new)
don't let this put you off...only 15% of respondents (so far) checked below average quality.

2009 TorRed S/E

9-11-01 nose badge | 3.5L hood badges | CAI | Hood pins | MOPAR hood struts/pedal kit/fuel door | blacked out side mirrors | Under dash ambient light | Jones Full Boar exhaust | Cuda' style MOPAR hockey stick striping | Script grill badge

"All you can take with you is that which you have given away"
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sgtrock View Post
My 2011 392 is near perfect. No problems except door handles which were fixed during a normal oil change in less than 45 mins. I got my 6sp 392 in November and drive it 70 miles in Wash DC traffic everyday. I have 12000 miles on it already and it is as perfect as the day I bought it.
Just wait till the airbag light demon starts haunting your dash!!

yeah I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this car. I do not like Dodge,never have.. I mean they keep releasing crap even after Neons.. but the CAR is frigging gorgeous. It's not like driving anything else.. so unfortunately that's the pay off to all the issues that keep popping up...

Bought this car brand new in June 2011,here's the problems I've had..(still having..)

-Door handles replaced
-Airbag light issue (ongoing)
-Rocker panel cracked (need to have fixed)
-S*hit ass sheet metal
-Remote start randomly fails to work
-Interior scratches without effort

Last edited by shootdownthestars; 04-19-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.