Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Paint Brake Calipers or Brake Calipers Covers??

25K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  hemi1031 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've got a 2015 Scat Pack. I'm thinking of either painting the brake calipers red or purchasing brake caliper covers.

If anyone has experience with both, which do you recommend? I haven't painted brake calipers before, so if it's a pain/tedious process I'll go the covers route.

Any disadvantages with caliper covers? I've seen the covers for $199, anywhere has them for cheaper?

#4 ·
MGP covers.

I went with covers, 5 minute install each wheel and no mess. Look great I think.

Attachments

#5 ·
Sorry to bug in...but I have a set of 2015 red caliper covers like new condition...
Will take $179 with free shipping....they are in the classified section.....they have the "RT" letters

#7 ·
painting is cheaper..but its a lot of time to do it.caliper covers look better (neater)and your gonna have to repaint them at some point.after spending the time of painting my calipers when they need to be re-done im going to buy the caliper covers.

#8 ·
I went with the red caliper covers too. They keep the dust down and also help to cool the brakes. If you have aluminum calipers, painting them can take away from the aluminum's ability to cool. The percentage is minimum, but the paint will help keep the heat in. Painted calipers can looks cheesy if not done carefully. Nothing against those who paint them, JMO that the covers look better. If you have an SRT your calipers are factory painted and you will need to get the paint brush and dish soap ready now and then to keep them clean. The same applies to aftermarket paint jobs. With the covers, you just wipe them down now and them with your detail spray and away you go. Hey, to each his own. All our Challengers look good either way, and I am sure that the painted caliper folks get the "Hey those look good" comments all the time.

#12 ·
One of the things I like about my Scat Pack is the black painted calipers. In fact I like the black a lot better than the red.

If you really want the red look, a caliper cover will be an easy install and you can remove it later if you decide that you didn't like the red.

#13 ·
I would tape off the rotors and immediate area and just spray the calipers whatever color you like. Get a color that is made for heat. There are plenty at Home Depot, Lowes etc.

Buy Brembo brake caliper decals, finish with a high heat spray clear over the decal and caliper. This might not be as durable as powder, but it will be a hell of alot easier and should last a long time.

#14 ·
If you want red, then powder coat or paint the calipers. G2 is the best caliper paint and can be had on Amazon. It is a paint and hardener 2 part kit. I would think you can't even buy covers for Brembo's, but I would say a HUGE no to that even if they do make them.

A good powder coater will disassemble the calipers and make them look awesome. Your selection of colors is vast as well. Mike the Powder Coater is supposed to be top notch, but he is closed until September. He does a ton on GM calipers (Vettes, etc).

He is close to Atlanta and I want him to do mine sometime. I think it was gonna cost around $400.00.

#16 · (Edited)
WTH? Injection molded plastic covers cost roughly $200.00 ????? Whatever they add to endure the heat must be some pretty expensive stuff huh?? If not it probably costs the manufacturer what......$20 a set?

Just say'n, isn't this a product you'd expect to pay maybe $40.00 for ????

Oh sorry, my bad. I thought these were like the fake plastic Brembo covers on eBay.

#25 ·
Putting caliper covers on a brembo brake is like putting aluminum siding over a brick house.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
Personally I've never been fan of the covers. They just look too "fake" to me.

When I had my Charger R/T I painted them using a paint kit I got from Autozone that was made specifically for brake calipers.

I painted them in 2007, and when I got rid of the car last year, they STILL looked amazing right after I washed the car...never did have an issue with chipping, flaking, or fading.

#31 ·
My Brembos are black also and I want them red. What do we do with the black factory paint on the calipers? Remove it or paint over it? Or just scuff it up then paint over it? Seems to me the proper method would be to have them completely sanded then painted. Feedback?

I purchased the Dupli-Color BCP400 Red Brake Caliper Kit off Amazon.

#33 ·
I am with you did want to mess with paint ! So I went with the covers , some say they collect brake dust and heat up rotors to make them warp
I see no difference in the amount of brake dust On my wheels , after 7000 miles no problem with the rotors

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.