Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Pentastar vs Hemi - I can't decide!

55K views 259 replies 53 participants last post by  Bill X_R 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
I keep going back and forth, and can't make up my mind. I do drive a lot, and this will be my daily driver. I live in snowy Toronto, so snow performance will be an issue. I'll be going automatic anyway (my feet are too big for the pedals in the 6 speed).

So, advantages of the SXT with the Super Sport Group I'm looking at:

1) better gas mileage.
2) Cheaper to buy
3) Cheaper to maintain
4) Cheaper gas
5) Better handling (Questionable)
6) Better in the snow (more balanced and lower torque)

R/T Classic advantages

1) Hemi sounds better
2) Hemi is faster (not a huge advantage - Pentastar )
3) Hemi better resale value
4) R/T Classic looks cooler (Love the vintage badge and chrome wheels)

So, that's my comparison list. As you can see, the advantages of the Pentastar are mostly practical, while the hemi's are more emotional.

So guys, any advice from those who have gone through this? Please keep in mind that this is my daily driver, so practicality is a concern. And no, I can't afford an SRT8!

Also, please no V8 vs V6 battles. I know those can get heated around here.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm probably the only one in here who went from an R/T (010 6spd) to an SXT+ (013, SSG). I love the SXT and it is my daily driver. It's fun to toss around, looks good, is plenty peppy and doesn't require premium fuel. My hwy mileage is about what is claimed on the sticker,27 or so, but I am averaging 22-24 around town (I'm semi rural so it's not hard city driving).

That said if you're looking at a Challenger its an emotional decision regardless. It isn't an econo car and the fuel mileage difference between an auto R/T and an SXT isn't going to be significant - driving style dependent. My 13 SXT can run on 87 but 89 is the owner manual recommended fuel. I believe the auto R/T can also run on 89.

The 015 SXT is a claimed 30 mpg hwy due to the 8 spd tranny.

The tone of your post suggests you really want the R/T and are looking for a reason to justify the decision. If you want it then just get it and be happy. You don't want to have buyers remorse because that will cost you more down the road.

Both versions are great cars, just depends on your wallet and heart strings.

#4 ·
I had pretty well decided on the SXT. I was perfectly good with that choice. But I looked around a bit more and the Hemi does have it's appeal. It was the best part of my 300C. However, I don't really need the power. I really am torn on the decision.

Maybe I need to run the numbers again. I drive about 2000-2500 miles a month, so the expenses do add up.

Decisions, decisions.

#5 ·
The HEMI is way faster. Huge advantage if speed matters to you. A STP equipped RT handles better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#67 ·
The HEMI is way faster. Huge advantage if speed matters to you. A STP equipped RT handles better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Actually the 5.7 Hemi is only ONE second faster than the 3.6 in the quarter mile!
Now ONE second is a LOT at the track but on the street it's barely noticeable.

For a daily driver I'd get the 3.6, for a weekend muscle cruiser I'd get a Hemi.

#6 ·
Hey guys.
I keep going back and forth, and can't make up my mind. I do drive a lot, and this will be my daily driver. I live in snowy Toronto, so snow performance will be an issue. I'll be going automatic anyway (my feet are too big for the pedals in the 6 speed).

So, advantages of the SXT with the Super Sport Group I'm looking at:

1) better gas mileage.
2) Cheaper to buy
3) Cheaper to maintain
4) Cheaper gas
5) Better handling (Questionable)
6) Better in the snow (more balanced and lower torque)
7) Less costly to insure.
R/T Classic advantages

1) Hemi sounds better
2) Hemi is faster (not a huge advantage - Pentastar )
3) Hemi better resale value
4) R/T Classic looks cooler (Love the vintage badge and chrome wheels)

So, that's my comparison list. As you can see, the advantages of the Pentastar are mostly practical, while the hemi's are more emotional.

So guys, any advice from those who have gone through this? Please keep in mind that this is my daily driver, so practicality is a concern. And no, I can't afford an SRT8!

Also, please no V8 vs V6 battles. I know those can get heated around here.

Thanks in advance!
Buy what you need, not what you want. Don't be a sucker for a slick marketing campaign.

#8 · (Edited)
Don't buy what you want? Nobody, I repeat, nobody needs a Challenger.

At most you need a civic, or a cheap pick up if your job requires it, or a minivan to haul your umpteen kids around in. Need and Challenger don't go together in a sentence.

When you said the Hemi was the best part about your 300, it makes me think you'll miss it dearly in a car as aggressive as this one. If the budget allows, I'd get the 5.7, the mileage isn't much different and the cost to maintain isn't either, the 5.7 is very widely used for it's durability.

#7 ·
This is easy. You buy what down payment, payments,and weekly/monthly gas you can afford. It's not like once you buy you'll never have a chance to change your mind at some point. Good luck.

#11 · (Edited)
Erik, I have the R/T and it's a lot of fun but so would be the SXT. I took an SXT for a long test drive once and It was actually a more enjoyable ride handling wise to me due to the fact that there is so much less weight on the front end, it was just plain fun to drive. Of course the R/T has straight line fun with it's power but for the situation you described, I don't think you'll be using that kind of power much anyway so for the type of driving you'll be doing and on a daily basis, I really believe you'll have a much more enjoyable car with the SXT. BTW, fuel mileage is not a important factor between the two. The difference is negligible factor in the real world. I've had four R/Ts and got 20-21 rural/city and 27-28 hwy @75mph. Regardless, I would get the SXT and save on initial cost, insurance and registration and still have loads of fun in the best looking car on the road.

#12 ·
I was in the same boat. I live north lf Toronto and wanted good gas mileage as well. I went with the sxt supersport and after some mods i think im almost as fast as a hemi. Almost. My 0-60 time is 5. 8. Not too bad. Don't get me wrong the appeal of the hemi is hard to resist and it is an awesomely powerful engine. But i am happy with my choice. I usually get around 8 -8.5 liters per 100kms with i think is pretty good. And with my full flowmaster super 44's the exhaust sounds amazing. I do think sometimes that the hemi is just a marketing gimmick. Here in ontario the price difference for a hemi over the v6' is almost 8000. Thats a lot of loot.
Good luck. Keep us posted

#13 ·
The 3.6 is plenty fun and will do everything you need it to do. I am happy with mine, though admittedly I do get a twinge of regret from time to time that I didn't get the R/T. You're probably looking at $200 a month in more car payment and gas to get the R/T - only you can decide if that is worth it.

#15 · (Edited)
Another factoid - your comment about the amount you drive a month. 25-30k a year on a car will certainly take a bigger hit on a more expensive car on resale/trade. I've never been in the V6 cars but I did have an 06 HEMI with 340HP. Correct me if I'm wrong but the V6 is now at 300+ right? (Not sure of the torque)

The only thing that bugged me about not having an SRT Charger was the wheels - yes I would have like the added HP but the I thought the wheels just made the car. I found factory take offs for a grand and never looked back. Drove/had that car longer than any other car before a full five years. Got compliments on it till the day I got rid of it.

Take that money you'll save on payments and gas and make it the best looking SXT in your eyes and I'll bet you have no regrets.

Ps. assuming some variables - your monthly payment will go up/down about $15 per 1000 financed.

#16 ·
A FULLY loaded SXT with EVERY option and package you can buy is less than $2K more than the price of a non optioned, bare bones,base R/T. That would be a lot of comfort goodies to let go of, considering how much time you're going to be behind the wheel. However, if the opinion of a beer gut dude, scratching his belly under his stained white t-shirt asking you "that thing got a HEMI, (BUUUUURP)?" is important to you...well you know what you should buy. You sound like a reasonable minded adult male who I am sure will make the right decision for yourself. BUY WHAT BEST FITS YOUR BUDGET.

#17 · (Edited)
So much great info. Thanks guys.

I ran some numbers and on the best deal R/T Classic I can find, it will cost me an additional $150 a month in finance and fuel charges. That's used, btw. Not insurmountable, but not insignificant either.

I'm looking at 2014's because of:

A) Depreciation
B) I seem to fit better. My size 13's get all tangled up under the dash in the 2015.

#24 ·
The interesting thing about this is that, the car that made me love the Challenger was actually one of these:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Blue

I remember loving everything about it. How it drove. How it sounded. How the engine looked. B5 blue has always been my favourite car colour. Even having Alcoa stamped into the wheels. It just seemed perfect. Unfortunately, a 2 door just wasn't practical at that time, and I ended up with a beautiful 300C.

I remember a friend looking at a RT Classic a year later, and I kinda sniffed at it. It just didn't seem as perfect as "my" SRT.

So 5 years later, I'm looking again. Will either the Pentastar or Hemi be enough? I'll likely have to settle a little bit anyway. And no, the SRT would not be a viable daily driver option for me. :)

#26 ·
The interesting thing about this is that, the car that made me love the Challenger was actually one of these:

View attachment 371434

I remember loving everything about it. How it drove. How it sounded. How the engine looked. B5 blue has always been my favourite car colour. Even having Alcoa stamped into the wheels. It just seemed perfect. Unfortunately, a 2 door just wasn't practical at that time, and I ended up with a beautiful 300C.

I remember a friend looking at a RT Classic a year later, and I kinda sniffed at it. It just didn't seem as perfect as "my" SRT.

So 5 years later, I'm looking again. Will either the Pentastar or Hemi be enough? I'll likely have to settle a little bit anyway. And no, the SRT would not be a viable daily driver option for me. :)
I'd say for a casual driver that wants to put the accelerator down once in a while to feel the power, I'd lean toward the RT with the handling upgrade. If speed through the curves and a little good handling is more your thing, I'd get the SXT with the handling upgrade. As someone mentioned, a lighter engine over the front tires will help the car feel more nimble in the curves. Get either one in that B5 blue.

#27 ·
I test drove a Jazz Blue V6...

then a TorRed 5.7 V8.

I bought the latter and didn't think twice about it. I traded up from a 2012 Charger V6... never had a V8 till now and I didn't buy a Challenger because I was concerned about gas mileage. I honestly could care less.

I KNOW with 100% certainty that if I had bought the V6 I would be second guessing the decision FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

:)

#35 · (Edited)
Annual mileage I am the polar opposite of the OP. I only put about 4K miles a year on my daily. This year it will be even lower as I refuse to get salt on the Challenger and carpool with the wife in her Subaru in inclement weather.

I test drove the SXT and R/T back to back purposely seeking out a '14 as I do not care for the changes in the '15. Yes, the R/T is faster light to light but the SXT handles/brakes better especially since I opted for the SS/T package. My commute is 7 miles per direction on 100% surface roads with no speed limit over 45mph. I have zero need for a Hemi equipped Challenger. If I feel a need for speed I just hop on the bike. Going down the road it looks a lot like the other 3 Challengers I have passed since purchasing it last Oct.

Just get the one that fits the bill best and make it your own through personal touches. That's what I did and I'm happy as a clam.

Reactions: mjb4450
#37 ·
I started with old big blocks 25 years ago, so I'm in a little different situation then you. I remember well when The Boss came back with 157hp in a 2 barrel 5.0. Then 175. Then an amazing 210 HP! :)
At that point, the stoutest Mopar had a 142hp turbo 4. Those all seemed pretty quick back then.

What I probably need is something like an old T-Bird, Monte Carlo or 2 door Charger. Big, smooth, powerful 2 door personal luxury cars. But all those beautiful beasts are long gone.

#38 ·
What I probably need is something like an old T-Bird, Monte Carlo or 2 door Charger. Big, smooth, powerful 2 door personal luxury cars. But all those beautiful beasts are long gone.
I don't say it too often on the forum because it's such blasphemy among muscle cars enthusiasts, but I don't need a sports car and have been trying to slow down, so the personal luxury car is kinda the direction where I've taken my Challenger, with a retro vibe. The Charger I owned before felt more raw (no resos, more clunkiness) and cheap ('07) to me, like a muscle car, which was a blast in itself. Now I'm after comfort and practicality. And I'm one of those after the Hemi for its effortless torque and rumble, not to beat on Mustangs.

Talking about slowing down, I'm not sure I follow you, Scooter:
Yes, the R/T is faster light to light but the SXT handles/brakes better especially since I opted for the SS/T package. My commute is 7 miles per direction on 100% surface roads with no speed limit over 45mph. I have zero need for a Hemi equipped Challenger.
If there is no use for horsepower there is even less for handling and brakes. I would take a base Hemi any day over a tricked-out SXT because I want the fun of taking off like a jet while feathering the throttle and because speed limits are way below the capabilities of modern cars on base suspensions. Practicality in a DD comes with enough clearance and shock absorption for real world roads.

Disclosure: I ended up lowering my car due to the 17" wheels I mounted that created huge gaps and, frankly, while it now looks great and handles marginally better, my car lost a lot of its capabilities just to be fashionable. The large spoilers are also mostly for show and I'm actually considering swapping my front one for an SXT's (another blasphemy!).

So to the OP: I'd probably also vote for an SXT (for myself I'd stick to an R/T even knowing I'd hit some snow, though), but a base model. I suspect that a lot of V6 owners try to regain some advantage over the V8 with handling packages and it can make sense in their case (I can only guess), but not in yours. You want a soft and compliant suspension with decent ground clearance. Trust me, the car rolls (and what's wrong with that?), but it handles. I've pushed my Charger and Challenger, both bases on narrow factory tires, to insane limits.

#41 ·
Echoes of endless arguments with oldman and BlkSEBase. Pass!

Reactions: wasp392
#42 ·
I'm no where near arguing. Just two different frames of mind is all. I apologize if you took my response as argumentative.

This is why is why every car isn't painted blue. Not everyone likes a blue car. :)

#51 · (Edited)
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Since you can be happy with either car AND you're looking to buy used, why not keep your options open and keep an eye out for either a SXT or a RT. Either will be a great car, just not for everybody.

I've sat in a 2015 and while I like the new interior a lot better, I also agree the transmission tunnel gives a little less room for your right foot down by the gas pedal, so can see why you want the 2014 not the 2015.

Good luck in your search!

Reactions: Erik
#50 ·
You only get one ride on the merry-go-round.....nobody I'm aware of has come back for a second trip.
If you can afford it, go for the Hemi.

Oh, and to the previous poster regarding the 2 door luxury yachts of days gone by? To my dying day I will regret selling my 74 Monte Carlo... Sigh.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#52 ·
OP: be aware there is an alternator recall in effect for all 3.6's from 11-14. They do not have the parts in the system to replace them properly so if it goes out you get another with the same defect. I have seen no accurate forecast as to when they will be available. There is a separate thread about this and I suggest if you do opt for the SXT you go thru the thread first so you are aware of what could happen.

Reactions: Erik
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.