Dodge Challenger Forum banner

People want to race you when you drive the Challenger

9K views 49 replies 39 participants last post by  carmcanc 
#1 ·
I was coming home from work today. At the stop light, a Dodge Neon pulled up next to me, rev his engine at me. His girlfriend was sitting on the passenger seat, so I didn't want to embarrass him and let him pass.

Multiple times, I got people looking at me, rev their engines at me, and wanted to race me.

I just want to be left alone. If I want to race, I go to the racetrack.

#3 ·
"with great power, comes great responsibility." >:)

Reactions: PSM450
#4 ·
Sometimes I get the occasional Soccer mom in a little SUV tryout to outrun me or follow me from behind....I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. Sorry if my taste in cars is a lot better than the general population!

#10 ·
....I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. Sorry if my taste in cars is a lot better than the general population!
Exactly, mine is a daily driver with hours behind the wheel each day. It is my work truck(hauls my gear) so I just go about my business to make my money.

#7 ·
Oh yea it happens all the time. Then I think to myself "Who am I to disappoint?" and smash the pedal.............of course my Challenger is not my DD so I am kind of in the racing mood when I drive the car. :) In all seriousness people do want to race. Sometimes its legitimate and other times people just want to see you get on it because they like the car. I personally take it as a compliment. If I feel like just relaxing I just wave and go on with my business.

#8 ·
I always race if it's something worth racing and it's clear.

Reactions: Indy392
#9 ·
I get this
> Sometimes its legitimate and other times people just want to see you get on it because they like the car. <
as well as the whole spinning/rolling hands thing, for me to do a burn-out, but since none of these that ask, will pay neither the traffic ticket or the cost of new tires, I refrain.
I did take my former 1st Sgt ( & neighbor) for a ride, found an isolated paved road just off post and left a 2 block stretch of new black stripping on it...I never have seen the man so giddy..lol
Hemi4Us

#13 ·
I have had several Mustangs pull up next to me and put it in neutral or clutch in and gun it as we rolled along - with so many cars in front of us I would be up someone's a$$ in just a matter of seconds. Maybe they really do want to hear and see what a Hemi can do. Usually GT Mustangs. Last Sunday I was in left turn lane, a Cadillac with plates that said "FAST 4 DR" starts just gunning it. WTF? He was in the non turn lane and both of us had cars in front of us stopped.

I just keep going and mind my own business.

#14 ·
Had a g37s pull up next to me on the freeway. Had his girlfriend in the car too so i assume he was trying to show off. went from 20 third beep we were off, no one in sight. Had about 4 car lenghts on him when i look in my mirror and smoke starts pouring out of the thing. Poor guy >:)

#16 ·
Constant problem but only a very, very few actually try. 90% just want you "light it up" or "let er go" as many of the passengers holler out the window at me. Sure thing buddy, I'll just smoke the tires at the light, right in the middle of town...sigh.

I usually wait at least a second after the light is green and its funny to wait and see if they move :)

Of the remaining 10% (mini-vans, clapped out Honda's, ****-cans in general) those guys floor it and I just start off normally and am past them without even trying halfway through second gear....

Of course, then there was that Audi last week...had him by half a car at 6000rpm in second, then tire spin in 3'd and he caught up. Pretty much neck and neck but we ended it really quickly a second or two later, over 100mph by that point but I wasn't paying attention.

I moved over to the right lane and he shot past me on the left (I was back at sane speeds).

I dont know what it was, just saw the Audi circles and a 7 or 5. Sleek looking car though.

#17 ·
I only have just over 300 miles on my SRT which I've had since the beginning of July. Haven't really had the opportunity to take any long rides being I'm retired. In that short time, all I've noticed so far is a lot of stares by other drivers looking my Challenger over along with a Camaro as well. (They're probably wondering what an old fart like me is doing behind the wheel! :scratchhead: ) I'm trying my best to keep with the recommended break in period not trying to go over the 3500 RPM limit, but it's not easy, lol. :)

#18 ·
I have had this car for 6 months and live in a semi-rural area. I really haven't had anyone want to race but I do notice a lot more people tailgating tight. When they start to get on my nerves I put the whip to this animal and they go bye-bye! I then go back down to the speed limit and they always seem to keep their distance after that. I've never had a car that could do that. I like!

#20 ·
I get people revving engines and wanting to race... I also get a fair number of people wanting me to do burnouts. They'll spin their hands or even walk up and ask me in a parking lot. Like I have nothing better to do after putting bags of groceries in my car than do burnouts in a grocery parking lot.

#22 ·
I get a lot of mustangs and camaros that will gun it to get up next to me, then see the shaker and 392 badging and back off. I've only had one guy try to race me and he was in a low end 07 corvette and I walked him by about 3 car lengths. I really dont get that many people actually trying to race me. It's weird because I know its not the area - I can't drive my SRT4 to walmart without someone trying to race. they must know a fast car when they see one haha

#23 ·
This is what I said to the last guy that wanted to race the Challenger:

"Okay, but you're not allowed to use your lights, siren, or radio, and if your sergeant gets word about it, it was *your* idea!"

#25 ·
The amount of white trash in shitty cars that rev up when they get anywhere near me is ridiculous. I just let them practice their display of idiocy and run off.

Reactions: jjnelson
#26 ·
I get this a lot - rusty 80's Cameros/Firebirds. I don't know what they're looking for half the time. I could be turning going the other way and they rev the engine while they're waiting behind a line of people at a light. I'm not sure if they're trying to impress me somehow or are just saying "hello".

#28 ·
I've been getting a lot of 15 sxt wanting to race me, I just open her up a bit for them to hear the exhaust and they stop. I guess they think theirs cars are faster since they have halo's now.
This should be good if any of the V6 guys find it :).......

#31 ·
not gonna lie when I had my sleeper bmw I would race anything even gtrs and Audu r8. I specifically look for Camaros, mustangs and challengers with all that loud exhaust as I would put them to shame in my 4 door quite lil sleeper. I couldn't get any one to race maybe 1 out of 10. Now that I have the challenger for 30 days I have had like 25 people want to race lol . OH how the roles have changed, I am waiting to race once I get my engine stroked in sep and sc in feb. But yeah its amazing how this car gets that attention

#37 ·
I'm 64 and agree with your views 100%. My white SRT does get a lot of stares. How-ever I think they're all wondering what an old fart is doing driving a car like the Challenger, lol. :scratchhead::)

Reactions: Eyeball15
#40 ·
the funny part when i get my 1970 superbird its more cars like to race me most of all those little rice burners with the big muffler.i just look at them and point my thumb down.and they take off mad.i just shake my head.why mess my car up for nothing
Fictional character

#42 ·
White Trash Greatness...

I pulled up behind some meth head in a rust bucket Subaru Impreza yesterday. Light turns green and he sits there... I think about pulling around him but decide to sit this one out. Then he starts revving his engine. The car is bucking, so he was trying to do some kind of weak burn out (in his AWD Subaru). Keeps revving, smoke starts rolling out from his clutch or transmission, then he chirps the tires and finally takes off in a cloud of smoke.

He must have really messed something up because he had to pull over just a few hundered feet up the street. I rolled by with my windows down and just laughed. It was quite the show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.