Performance Modifications/Warranty - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance Modifications/Warranty

Okay..So here is my two part question.

1) If I mod my car (i.e. Cold air intake, dual exhaust, turbo, ect.), will it void my warranty? What is covered? What are you guys' experiences with this?

2) What should I do to my car (performance-wise) to make it sexy. I know I want to do a cold air intake, and get a dual exhaust with Flowmaster Super-44s. What would you guys also recommend and what has worked good for you?

I bought a 2010 Challenger SE. Sold brand new with 37 miles on it. Totally love my sexy beast of a car!

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Photos: (9)
Check out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It was written to protect consumers by, amongst other things, permitting the use of aftermarket replacement parts when making repairs but it has been interpreted to encompass performance parts, also.

Last edited by ptgarcia; 05-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Photos: (5)
Just to be on the safe side and because I had a bad back, I had my Dodge dealer install my MOPAR Long RAM CAI. They assured me that there were no warranty issues with it since it was a MOPAR part and they did the install. I don't really know where it would stand if a different part was used and you installed it yourself. It seems to me that it is subjective and opinions on what voids a warranty and what doesn't may vary from dealer to dealer. It would be nice to have some type of written guidance on just what aftermarket mods affect the warranty.
As far as custom tunes with the Diablo Predator, when I take my car in for service I always restore the original configuration right before I take it in, then re-tune it once it is done so there are no questions.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From my understanding and on a general scale is that the part has to be the cause of the issue...i.e. if you put on an intake and the there is an issue with the manifold...they would need to prove that the intake caused the issue...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM

I called my dealership prior to doing anything and asked if putting on an aftermarket CAI and catback would void the warranty and they said no it wouldn't. Not sure about anything else.

Skarn
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Check out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It was written to protect consumers by, amongst other things, permitting the use of aftermarket replacement parts when making repairs but it has been interpreted to encompass performance parts, also.

I agree! I'm not lawyer but, you have some protection so long as the aftermarket part was not the cause of the failure.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM

….if you can’t afford to fix a possible related failure you may encounter in the future yourself and/or are not willing/able to possibly take legal action against Chrysler if a future claim is denied do to an aftermarket component being blamed for the failure, don’t mod the car while it’s under warranty. ….its that simple. Chrysler won’t ask a judge to review a claim they want to deny. They will do it based on their own criteria/belief. If that ever happens (and you feel you have a case), it will be up to you to take legal action if you are unable to resolve the issue with the manufacturer.

Folks can preach the Magnuson-Moss act all day long (and it’s good for a consumer to know their rights) but you also need to be realistic.

My advice? If you don’t want the potential hassle/liability, then either don’t mod or choose what you do very carefully.

btw, there are only few things that will legally “void” your warranty (i.e. odometer tampering), but a warranty “claim” is a different story. ….in other words, you may be denied on claim for a drivetrain failure due to power modifications but other non-related (un-touched) systems would still be covered.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Kean pretty much has it right. the moss magnusen act does protect you in a way. but are you willing to go to court over it and spent all those possible weeks and months without a car to prove your right? something like an intake and exhaust stuff like that are easy to remove and return back to stock if something does happen while the car is under warantee. if you get to the point where your doing more serious mods the warantee will likely be the last thing on your mind.

some dealers are find with mods. other dealers will look for any excuse to say the warantee is voided. just use common sence.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (20)
Welcome to the forum. I know SE was mentioned here so I'm not sure if their throotle body is the same but I know that to much oil on a CAI can void a repair caused by it. My Mopar CAI doesn't use oil and my dealership said as long as you stay behind the cats your OK with making the exaust louder.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flowfan
Originally Posted by DangerGump View Post
Okay..So here is my two part question.

1) If I mod my car (i.e. Cold air intake, dual exhaust, turbo, ect.), will it void my warranty? What is covered? What are you guys' experiences with this?

2) What should I do to my car (performance-wise) to make it sexy. I know I want to do a cold air intake, and get a dual exhaust with Flowmaster Super-44s. What would you guys also recommend and what has worked good for you?

I bought a 2010 Challenger SE. Sold brand new with 37 miles on it. Totally love my sexy beast of a car!

Any help is appreciated.
DangerGump - We’ve sold ton’s of exhaust systems without affecting the warranty of a vehicle. Thanks for considering Flowmaster Mufflers for your Beast!

Flowmaster Mufflers
Toll Free Technical Support: 1-800-544-4761
www.flowmastermufflers.com
www.hushpower.com
Flowmaster on facebook :: Flowmaster on YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.