Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Should Dodge increase the Hp of the 5.7L motor?

• It's fine where it's at. like my bell bottoms.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Time for an upgrade, Make it at 420

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Past time for an upgrade, Make it at 435

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • Decrease the HP, I want it bigger and slower, like me!

Votes: 6 4.7%

Poll, is it time far the 5.7L HP be increased?

20K views 251 replies 44 participants last post by  randycat99 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you think dodge should increase the HP on the venerable 5.7L motor in the RT?

Some background, it was introduced in the challenger in 2009 and hasn't seen any increase in performance in the last 7 model years.

#5 ·
nominal, maybe 700 msrp, with an in house brake upgrade.

#11 · (Edited)
Looks like it's running about 2:1 for MORE HP. No surprise there. Maybe Dodge will listen?

:smile:

Until then, I think i'll go drive my Scat Pack....... : )

#12 · (Edited)
More power, as many V6 motors are approaching similar power levels of the 5.7. The 6.4 should be well over 500 HP by now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
voted but it's a less than worth while poll as the questions are slanted, leading or of no value. The choices are asked in a manner leading respondents to question that if they don't vote in a certain manner that they are wrong, behind the times, or stuck in the past. poll options that are pointless or ridiculous (like option four) just further water the results.

#16 · (Edited)
did you vote? OK. Were you able to choose a result that represented your position? Good. It's obvious where i stand on the issue. I already voted. just wanted to see where the masses really were on this. Wanted to see if people REALLY didn't think it was nigh time for an upgrade. At present ~33% do not believe an upgrade is due, and wear bell bottoms or are fat. T/Y >:)

#14 ·
Wow - lots of debate over the 5.7. I have a 2015 R/T Shaker with the 5.7. Its the A8 and obviously has STP, and is also a daily driver. My "daily drive" is about 20 miles of open highway and twisty back roads. No traffic, and just a couple of stop lights and only one stop sign along those 20 miles.

My previous daily driver was a 2010 Challenger SRT with the 6.1 - it had some mods (exhaust, CAI, strut tower brace, and tune). I bought the SRT new and drove it nearly every day for the 5 years I owned it, including one trip from VA to AZ and back. I've owned 3 Mustang GTs - to include a 2011 which we still have; 2 previous gen Camaros (Z28 and SS models), and as stated above, I'm on my 2nd Challenger. My first car was a 1968 Chevy Impala coupe (with a 350 V8, aka "5.7"); my second was a 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic 2-door coupe (variation of that year's Impala) with a 350 (5.7) V8. I've also owned a fun driving Jaguar with a manual transmission and an early, very basic Miata. Point here is I've got some time in a variety of V8 cars with a peformance orientation that span a period of 47 years - as well as some comparison to a couple of other popular "sporty" cars in either 4 or 6 cylinder.

So what do I think of the 5.7 Challenger in its current form (2015)? I love it. I like how it drives more than my SRT, which is why I bought it - and I really liked the SRT. Many of my cars had Chevy small block V8s (350/5.7), and while the horsepower and torque of each varied based on when it was made, etc. - they all ran nice. Good power and torque for the platform it was in at the time. I never felt underpowered as a daily driver - certainly not on the open road, where I've spent most of my driving life. Likewise with the Mustangs - they all had either a 4.6 or 5.0 engine - again, small block V8s - and were all pretty quick and torquey for daily driving and open road crusing. During my driving lifetime, there have been many cars that were faster, better handling, more powerful engines, etc. There always is and always will be - everyone knows that. For me, its all about how the car drives - my impression, since I spend a lot of time in my car on the open road. That's the reason I drive performance oriented cars...I like driving and my environment lends itself well to those who enjoy such cars. Best part is I'm fortunate that I can afford pretty much any mainstream performance car I choose to buy; American, European or even Asian. Recently, I chose the 2015 R/T Shaker with the 5.7 because it drives (IMO) really well.

Differences from my 2010 SRT? The 2015 feels lighter, as nimble and more refined in its overall performance compared to the earlier model SRT. Is it as fast? Not quite, but it has plenty of torque when I hammer the throttle and it handles very confidently when banging through the twisty back roads I drive daily (I did bolt in a strut tower brace the first week I owned it as I find all cars of this type benefit from them - regardless of manufacturer). Acceleration is excellent. In other words - the 5.7 mated with the A8 I find delivers solid performance in the 2015 R/T.

What attracted me to the 2015 model to begin with? I really liked the updated interior, was intrigued by the writings on the A8 in the Challenger line, and really loved the look of the shaker hood - so classic "old school" looking. I was not dissatisfied with my SRT - best driving car I ever owned up to now - but I liked the new R/T with the 5.7 better...the way it drives. Just today, I was smiling nearly all the way home wringing out the R/T on the back roads, enjoying just how well that 5.7 does perform as a daily driver on the open road. Could Dodge tune it up a bit and give us a little more HP and torque? Sure they could - but as a driver's car, the 5.7 R/T with STP does quite well from a performance perspective on the road IMO. I assume Dodge knows that - hence the reason they're still offering the 5.7 in the Challenger line after all this time. Just my impressions of the current 5.7 R/T - others will likely have other opinions. And that's OK.

#15 ·
HemiFan nailed it. Good response. Would it be nice if it had more? Sure, especially if I was buying a new one. It seems like these threads lead in to comparing with the other brands. Although that can be relevant, how it stacks up horsepower wise against the competition is not what sells it.

#19 ·
Seems to me Ma Mopar could do the following things to the 5.7..

1: 6.4 Active Intake Manifold

2: 6.4 Shorties and mids

3: Active Exhaust

4: Cam revision to match the above

Seems to me the above is all parts bin stuff except the cam and would be good for 400 hp and 425 tq without messing up fuel economy or long term durability.

If Dodge could price it at 29,995 with destination it would be just another slap in Ford and Gratuitous Murders faces.

Reactions: BlkSEbase and Slidd
#23 ·
Thanks non owner Honda!

Reactions: theodorelake1
#29 · (Edited)
Non owner? I've had both an R/T and now the SRT.

Doesn't matter though, this thread is really dumb. I feel dumber for having read it. Granted, I've made some dumb posts of my own, but at least I was original. And I admitted, it was dumb. This is just pure trolling, attention whoring stupidity at this point. Whatever gets that post count up I suppose.

Everyone wants more power that they don't have to pay for. And no, Dodge isn't going to increase the power out put of the 5.7 any time soon. I out lined why in the other thread that inspired this little gem you posted.

Keep making nonsensical polls, I think you almost got Dodge convinced.

#24 ·
The poll is slanted; choice 1, should remove the bell bottoms analogy.
This is similar to another post about ditching the 5.7....here is my quote from that post:

"But I am into Mopars. The 5.7 is a great engine in a great car and gives all the power and more for street use and a little fun on the track if you want to. MOST of us dont race and will not race some Mustang on the street so the comparison is meaningless !

If you like the Challenger....you buy a Challenger. You pick the engine that suits your driving needs and fun factor. I doubt many purchasers compare their engine to a potential line up with a competitor model.

I was coming home last night from a car show and was punching the 5.7 through the twisties....it was a blast and that engine in this car can get me in all thr trouble I dont want to be in !

Those with larger engines....good for your choice. I dont see any reason to get away from a great reliable 5.7 though ! "

I will stand by those comments. The 5.7 has more than enough power for the streets and gets my blood going ! :laugh2: If you want to do burn outs, street race, track the car....there are other engine options. Dodge will also be in bad shape down the road with mileage requirements on their fleet. Increased h.p. cars will lower fleet mileage.

If you want more h.p., go to a bigger engine. The 5.7 is great for those that select that model. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Spasticdog70
#26 ·
Sour grapes.

#28 · (Edited)
Delete.

#30 · (Edited)
I like it. I've owned an RT and now SRT. Both great. I think they both need another 75 HP...but any bump is welcome. The SXT needs to keep pace with the new v6 Camaro, so 330 HP (min) is in order.

#31 ·
Crying doesn't change the results, Honda.

#33 · (Edited)
those numbers are only good for showing what a tiny fraction of total buyers deem to be an important issue.
Sorry but your agenda driven poll does not validate anything.

the thing that is MOST telling about this poll/topic is that less than 10% of the members who have viewed this thread deem it interesting enough or important enough to even vote one way or another.
It's clearly an important issue to you and some others...just not to the community at large

#32 ·
almost 900 views with 72 respondents...If the Dodge bean counters aren't tripping over their calculators this very instant and trying to satisfy this tiny minority they just aren't interested in keeping business.

#35 ·
As any pollster will tell you, those who choose to respond usually represent a much larger body of customers. My agenda is simply to try to wake Dodge to the huge, glaring fact that the 5.7 is in need of a performance upgrade. Apparently, the customer base agrees, at a rate of better that 2:1. C'mon Dodge, time for an upgrade!

#36 ·
And you're scientifically validated pollster sources are?
What is more true, as anyone who works customer service will tell you, customers who are dissatisfied will almost always complain about their dissatisfaction while satisfied customers rarely go to the effort to speak up about how satisfied they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.