Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Posi trac?

16K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  BNB 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2013 base R/T and it has an auto with the 3.06 ratio, I didnt see anything about a positrac on the window sticker/build sheet, but it does dual tire burnouts with traction control off......so do I have a "Anti-spin Differential Rear Axle"....which I thought was only an option or part of the supertrac pac?

#8 · (Edited)
The reason you can put 2 stripes down with an open diff even with TC disabled is because irs pretty well neutralizes the problem when it comes to standing burn-out kind of launches. A closed-diff won't make much difference in such a scenario...the car is sitting level even under torque, so there is no reason for 1 tire to break loose by itself.

You really have to be cornering the car on-power for this to become an issue with the open diff, and even then, you get a good amount of leeway with power going down in both tires before it peg-legs. You really got to turn hard and abruptly to lift the inside tire far enough to blow-out traction. It's probably not even all that natural a turn, as far as skillful navigation through an apex...so not all that much to worry about, imo.

My theory is that the LSD is still a highly desired item because people are still thinking in the context of sra cars (where you truly do need that type of control). Now that modern muscle sits on an irs, it's a totally different ballgame. People may still want the LSD, but it's not nearly the dire necessity as it used to be, as far as actual utility.

From my personal experience, there's plenty of instances where you would think the inside is going to break loose, but it doesn't. If you are doing it "right", both tires are putting down good thrust, and it is even quite likely the outside tire is at the threshold of breaking lose between thrust and lateral traction. So you'll be getting tail-out just like if you were on an LSD...not really missing out on being able to put more power into a turn, because adding any more is only going to trigger more oversteer.

#11 ·
R/T auto with STP or R/T 6-speed you can indeed. 2011+ makes it easier than pre-2011 since you no longer have to do the "key trick."

#12 · (Edited)
Traction control is a bit different from stability control. You can turn off TC in any Challenger by just pressing Mr. Squiggly button...then your rear tires are free to go up in smoke any way you choose (in fact, even default-on TC allows you to burnout in a straight line quite liberally). What remains is base level stability control. All those extra contortions are about shutting off stability control completely. The only real thing you are missing out on by not doing that is very wide power slides and the prospect of a full 180 if you get "too" careless. ;)

Just using the Mr. Squiggly button is really all you need to open the car up to a fair amount hooligan activity. I've never tried it, but I'm guessing a full 360 deg circle is possible as long as you are staying in one place.

#14 ·
Yes, if you are in an area where there is room to do it, I wouldn't mind indulging it a bit. Unfortunately, there isn't any place like that for me around here, so it is mostly an academic topic for me.

#15 ·
If you had anti-spin it would be on the sticker as an option for either $100 or $195 I have seen both prices on 2013 stickers, and if you look under the car the anti-spin Getrag housing is aluminum and it has a flat bottom with cooling fins, the regular housing is cast iron and no fins.

#21 ·
Not on the '09 above your post it won't. ;) The ability and method for completely disabling ESP depends on year and options.

#23 · (Edited)
This topic is about Posi-trac, is it not? That is more an element that impacts traction, not stability. It's not even all that crucial to fully disable stability control to experiment with open diff or lsd. It's the traction-control that supposedly would make a difference, and all you have to do is push the Mr. Squiggly button to do that, right?

#25 · (Edited)
Certainly there are many discussions about what it takes to fully disable stability control in these cars. That is a topic all in of itself. It's really a lateral subject matter for this topic, imo. There's no need to get into specifics about what can be done in various model years of the car, because stability control isn't really the important aspect when we are discussing open diff vs lsd. Open diff vs lsd has more to do with traction and thus the state of traction control on this car. You can easily toggle it on or off with the traction control-button on the dash, and its effect on the drive wheels at engine load either is or is not apparent at that point.

That's not to say that you may still want to experiment with stability control fully disabled, but that is delving into a realm of operation that goes beyond whatever setup you have in the diff, altogether.

#26 ·
Certainly there are many discussions about what it takes to fully disable stability control in these cars. That is a topic all in of itself. It's really a lateral subject matter for this topic, imo. There's no need to get into specifics about what can be done in various model years of the car, because stability control isn't really the important aspect when we are discussing open diff vs lsd. Open diff vs lsd has more to do with traction and thus the state of traction control on this car. You can easily toggle it on or off with the traction control-button on the dash, and its effect on the drive wheels at engine load either is or is not apparent.
You are being faaaaaar to analytical...

#28 ·
That's the central point to all of this...what is the end result you are really after? To put down 2 stripes or having an LSD at the rear axle? If you already have the former, why even fret the latter? The former is the real end result you wanted all along, so feel free to indulge it for all its worth, eh? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.