Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Potentially buying... can you ease some concerns?

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Idoono 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'm going to look at a 2015 R/T with the 5.7L Hemi on Friday. Sticker price was $32,500 - I've talked them down to $29k and paying off my trade-in so far.

I'm currently driving a 2013 Chevy Impala, which is no slouch by any means, but I've grown fond of the street presence of the Challengers, and might be looking to buy one. My Impala is 300hp/262lb-ft. in a 3550lb car, and it moves pretty well... however, it's nothing special - cloth seats, plastic doors, etc. I've made it my own, but I'm looking for newer and better.

I haven't test driven the 5.7L yet, but with only 70hp more, will I feel that much of a difference considering there's 500lb more on the Challenger? I know the torque is 138lb-ft more, but I want to smile every time I hit the gas - and I'm lacking that in my Impala now.

The vehicle I'm looking at has only 12,500 miles on it and was supposedly owned by an older guy who traded in multiple vehicles at once to downsize his collection and he traded up for a new Z06. The dealer says it's immaculate (I'll be the judge of that) - but considering, do you think the price is fair? Anything I should be wary of?

I've done a lot of research in the past few days and am pretty excited, and figured I'd stop in and see what everyone thought.... thanks for any advice you can give!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just my opinion but I think 29 is High for a R/T 5.7 I think anything over 28K is a no deal and that's fully equipped in show room condition. Now depending on the pay off of your trade it may be a good deal are you upside down in your current car? sticker price of 32k is insane. I live in the south but I look country wide when I research cars for purchase. Base price for a 2017 5.7 R/T is 32k MSRP and maxes out at 42k MSRP before any discounts and negotiations. I personally wouldn't do it but only you know your trade in situation.

#3 ·
You may be able to make a better overall deal on a new 2016. BTW; The Challenger V6 has 305 HP (I think) and would be more fun to drive than the Impala and it is WAY better looking! You should at least test drive a new one. There are some great deals on these also. That being said, if you really want a kick in the seat from a Challenger, get the 392 HEMI.

#4 ·
I don't know your payoff on the Impala, so this might not be as bad a deal as it seems. I agree you could work a similar/great deal on a brand new , left over, 2016 R/T.

I also strongly agree, that if you want to "UP" the power factor over the Impala, chk out a used 2015/2016 Scat. The price should be with in a few grand of your current deal, and the performance will be much stronger.

Good luck!

#5 ·
I just traded my 15 R/T in after owning it for only 10 months. I bought a new 16 Scatpack.
My 15 is on their lot for 30,900. I could only get 27,000 on trade. I just wanted more power!
I was surprised at how well a 5.7 Hemi could move a car that weighs 4200lbs. I was happy with it a until
I test drove a scat. I would say get as much of a car as you can afford and enjoy.

#6 ·
"Only 70 HP/"

I'm currently driving a 2013 Chevy Impala, which is no slouch by any means, but I've grown fond of the street presence of the Challengers, and might be looking to buy one. My Impala is 300hp/262lb-ft. in a 3550lb car, and it moves pretty well... however, it's nothing special - cloth seats, plastic doors, etc. I've made it my own, but I'm looking for newer and better.

....."but with only 70hp more, will I feel that much of a difference considering there's 500lb more on the Challenger? I know the torque is 138lb-ft more, but I want to smile every time I hit the gas - and I'm lacking that in my Impala now."

QUOTE]

70 HP is significant. It's almost the difference between a 6.4 and a 5.7. When it comes to "smile factor" --- It's ALL about the TORQUE. In daily driving situations, my 5.7 RT felt similar to my 6.4 SRT (until you were in the 4000 plus RPM range). The 400 plus foot-pounds of the 5.7 Hemi will make you smile. It's a HUGE delta between the 262 lb-ft Q of the V6.

#10 ·
I just moved from a 5.7 to a TA. Before you sign, make sure you test drive the car you are buying.

Also, do your wallet a favor and DO NOT test drive the 6.4 (unless, of course, it is inside your budget).
That's how they got me! :D

#12 · (Edited)
Wow, thank you guys so much for the responses!

I wasn't considering the Scat Pack model because the money was $38k+ for used models. I just stumbled upon a 2015 for $32,997 with 12k miles on it. It does not have heated seats or the heated steering wheel (options I really do want, but don't currently have), but it is an automatic. The R/T Plus that I was looking at was loaded. I think I mistyped when I said sticker price - their asking price on the R/T Plus was $32,500, they did not list the MSRP for that vehicle (and neither for the Scat Pack).

There aren't any used or new 2016 Challengers in my area (100 mile radius) that I can find without looking through Craigslist or eBay, or I'd consider them.

I'm going to inquire about the Scat Pack and see if they'll come down on it to match my other offer, I feel like it'd be a lot of car for the money at that price point.

#13 ·
Wow, thank you guys so much for the responses!

I wasn't considering the Scat Pack model because the money was $38k+ for used models. I just stumbled upon one for $32,997 with 12k miles on it. It does not have heated seats or the heated steering wheel (options I really do want, but don't currently have), but it is an automatic. The R/T Plus that I was looking at was loaded. I think I mistyped when I said sticker price - their asking price on the R/T Plus was $32,500, they did not list the MSRP for that vehicle (and neither for the Scat Pack).

I'm going to inquire about the Scat Pack and see if they'll come down on it to match my other offer, I feel like it'd be a lot of car for the money at that price point.

The sticker price on mine was just a hair under 46k. It had one previous owner. Something to think about...I never thought I would care about heated steering wheel, but it's now one of those things that I feel like I may be a requirement on future vehicles. That said, a SP without it vs an RT+ with it...SP wins every time. The difference, to me, was huge in the driving experience.

#14 ·
Well, that was a quick negotiation. They're sticking at $32,997 for the SP, and won't match the R/T+ pricing - got another email from them today asking if I was still interested and they could go lower... There is a R/T on my way to work for sale that I'll probably test drive on lunch, just to feel the power difference, but I'm not sure I can afford the SP pricing, even though it's only $4k more...

#15 ·
My negotiation was similar. I did get them to come up on my trade and we were going to walk out over the interest rate. I feel like we had a little leverage because my wife and I had driven 5 hours for the car and they knew if we left, we weren't likely to come back. They were able to bring our interest rate down from 4.7% (!!) to 2.7% and we pulled the trigger. I don't pretend to know how they can change the interest rates, because it was through Ally Bank, but we had a 3.1% on my wife's car and the truck I traded in had a 3.2%. Might be able to work them down a bit if you wait and come back or if you just tell them that if you meet XXX terms, I will buy it right now.

#16 ·
If you can somehow find a way to spring for the SP I would recommend it over the 5.7L. While the R/T is a pleasure to drive the SP is on a completely different level. Its the one car I've ever owned that really just did not need that much done to it in terms of modifications, its just perfect.

#18 ·
OP,

You're not getting a deal on the 5.7. This is why they're trying to keep you on that car.

Check out cargurus.com and various other sites. Sometimes deals show up here too. Last week a guy was selling a 2015 SP with about 700 miles on it in the low 30s.

As others have said, if you test drive the 6.4, there will be no 5.7 that will satisfy you.

Keep looking. You can do far better.

#19 ·
I had a 2010 R/T with the 5.7L Hemi and it had a lot of power, very fun to drive, never felt slow, lots of torque down low, etc. I now have a 2015 Scat Pack with the 6.4L Hemi. This engine is flat out insane! The amount of power it has and how fast you can get going in just a few seconds is nuts.

IMO, for just a few thousand more you can likely find a nice used Scat Pack that will have more power. There are nice 2015 Scat Packs out there with low miles for $32-35K in my area. You're talking about $29K, so for potentially another $3K you can get 110hp more and 75ft/lbs more over the 5.7L The 6.4L has 485hp/475tq so that's a solid 210ft/lbs or so over your current Impala. That's what I would be looking into given your desire for more power. For not much more in the used car market you can get into a Scat Pack which is seriously fast.

#20 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I saw a RT Shaker in my area for $30,500. Just for laughs, I talked to them and test drove it. Sounds excellent and the 5.7L is a solid motor, for sure. Did not feel slow at all for me. The Challenger is a BIG car compared to anything I've driven before. They handed me a written offer of $29,450 before TTL. I said no way, it needs the exhaust redone, half of it is rusted almost through, the rear fascia is all scratched, no heated seats, etc.

The reason I'm really leaning into the RT+ is its got the features I want, minus the 6.4L. I can likely get them to come even lower on the RT+, but even now if they come down to $29K like they say and eat my trade, they're already down from $36,895 on the window sticker to $29k, plus eating $3k in my loan, so that's $10k off what they were on.

Still thinking, but the features I want are in the 5.7, the SP is a "base model", if there is one, you know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.