Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Progressive's "Snapshot" and our cars

13K views 76 replies 48 participants last post by  nomad 
#1 ·
Hi All,

We just recently switched to Progressive, 3/4/17, and did save ~ $500 every 6 months by switching from Geico. We opted for the Snapshot, worth an additional $110 every 6 months in savings.

As such,

I recently found out that they are now dinging everyone for acceleration 9 or more mph/sec in addition to braking at 7mph/sec or more. On my first cruise around with this plugged in, just coming to a stop from 55 (a red light at the last min) it dinged me before I even had slowed down / dropped to 30 mph on my way to a complete stop. The brakes are pretty good. It is also very hard to accelerate at a rate less than 9mph/sec in this car :).

Has anyone else signed up for Snapshot and driving gingerly until the rating period is up?

#2 ·
This thread has potential.... :yesnod:

Flo is watching....... :)

#9 ·
Seriously have you ever noticed how many Prius drivers drive?
I'm amazed at how careless many of them are. I've driven multiple times between NJ and Florida or NJ to Virginia or Georgia and at 70-75 they fly by me.
But I do like your thinking, lol.

Reactions: mvale
#14 ·
I'm with Yall, but how long is it going to be when they start data log from the on board cpu? Still have my c3 vette and 70 k5 blazer

#18 ·
When I moved to the US I had this in my beat to **** Ford Focus I bought since hey no one but progressive would take my UK driving history into account so everyone else wanted to treat me like I was 16 and never driven a car before. I plugged it in for about 6 weeks and just drove normally in the abysmally slow Focus then sent it back and got the savings. Since then I have had a bunch of faster cars including the SP and I still got the discount. SO you don't have it plugged in the whole time. This was back in late 2012 so unless they have changed the program it is not quite tracking you all the time.

If like me you are in a crappy situation and don't want to pay $5000+ a year just because you emigrated then it worked out.

#19 ·
FWIW, I don't like Progressive because I heard from a friend at work they don't like to "total" cars but would rather have them repaired, even if lots and lots of damage. My friend had a major accident in a fairly new Lexus and they repaired rather than totaled, and the repairs were extensive. They convinced her to use "their recommended" body shop in the area. She had an awful time going back and forth with misaligned body panels and faulty "used" parts. Maybe they have a "working relationship" with the body shops. Who knows ?? Also, I've read in another car forum (can't remember which, maybe Corvette or Jeep Forum since I belong to both) that Progressive authorizes "off shore" parts to be used in repairs. You may like Flo but I wouldn't trust her. I'm just say,n..... :surprise:

#21 ·
I have a feeling my on board nav/GPS is already reporting that kind of information to the government.

>.>

<.<

Damn CIA spying on me and ****!

But seriously I wouldn't even have insurance if they monitored my acceleration.

#22 ·
Hey Hey I resemble that remark lol

#24 ·
While I would never put one in my car, even unplugged in a lead box.... I've always wondered if the history of a car owner who uses this, say for only a month is now permanent record with all insurance agencies. Does this info stay with the carrier or do they share it when you try and leave... you know when you realize how, not such a great idea it was even try in a DODGE F-ING CHALLENGER .. sorry Had Archer flash backs there for a second.

#26 ·
The fact that Archer drove a dodge challenger (albeit only for like 10 minutes, lol) probably played a subtle role in influencing my decision to buy one. I just wish my car knew my name, too.

I mean, you shouldn't even be able to put it in gear with the bar open!

Reactions: Rudedog
#31 ·
I have a friend who went with "Progressive". He was getting penalized for a lot of fast stops and rapid acceleration. So, he got some equipment to monitor his driving real time. he found that even while driving at a steady pace, with no changes in speed the "tattle tail" from Progressive was showing erratic changes. He was able to determine that as the vehicle went from one cell tower reception area to another, the tattle tail showed rapid braking and the then hard acceleration.
Also, as others have said, the name "Progressive", tells you what you should know about the company.

#33 ·
Also this system logs what days and time of day you drive in addition to the g-forces (uses the stability system sensors) of acceleration and driving - to 'document' a driver's habits.

Drive late hours at night or drive a lot = they'll ding you for that as well.

then they rate you accordingly if they deem you a 'high risk'. A friend that is a few years older than me (mid 60s) that drives pretty moderately had this and noticed it constantly beeped at him...decided this was not for him and dropped that company.

If you have a vehicle that gets occasional use - they'll contact you about it, thinking you've unplugged the ODB-II port monitor trying to "cheat" their system...

Think about all that.

#34 ·
My agent at my previous insurance company told me a few years back, that they were going to start offering discounts with this too.

His advice as an agent to me......................DON'T DO IT. As he told me, if a deer, or a car, or anything gets in front of you, and you make a hard stop or quick avoidance technique, it'll log that, but it doesn't say "why" it happened.

It'll be on your log as a "bad thing".

Nuff said.

#35 ·
I changed to liberty mutual few months back and they asked me if I wanted a device like that. Right away I was NO thank you,don't need another discount that bad. Lol

#36 ·
Every last one of us is driving a computer on wheels. If you believe that the capability to monitor your movements isn't already being done, you're only kidding yourself.

That said, signing up for that Progressive nonsense is like walking yourself to the gallows and putting the rope around your own neck. If the program was beneficial to you, then it would not exist. The house always wins.

#45 ·
It's not about whether the car is recording inputs, we KNOW it is... There is and has been a "black box" in
all vehicles since the early 2000's and yes they have been used in the court of law to convict folks of reckless
driving which resulted in manslaughter charges. But at this point they are not 'Broadcasting' (easy enough
to check). This Progressive POS takes those Sensor Inputs and broadcasts them to the insurance company
so they can bend you over a barrel under the guise of "Helping you with better rates"

News Flash.... Insurance Companies are NOT here to help you... Nor is the Government! >:)

#37 ·
All very good reasons listed above for not doing this.

My current insurer, Nationwide, offered a similar option. I turned them down on based primarily on the violation of privacy I view such devices to embody. That, and let's be honest here....at the end of the day, these companies can afford to lower their costs without such Orwellian devices; they choose not to do so to please their real masters, their shareholders.

For pennies on the dollar, you not only give up your rights of privacy with these devices, but you also arm these companies with the very "facts" they need to deny your claims or raise your rates.

I wonder how many of these insurers who offer such devices would be willing to publicize the metrics they're collecting, and the analysis they use to determine rates and violations.........I'll just be sitting over here waiting for them to line up to disclose...:zzz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.