Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Push Button Start now "Deadly"

7K views 63 replies 37 participants last post by  falcompsx 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I always remind myself "common sense is an oxymoron" - for the general population.

If anyone is that lacking in judgement, let natural selection take care of them...

Its like suing because the burners on the stove get hot, and you can burn yourself...

the US just seems to be litigation-prone, so everything has to be dumbed down for the absolute lowest common denominator for intelligence.

#40 ·
Holy CRAP, you must be tapped into by noggin. I agree completely. Comedian Bill Burr has made all sorts of references to how we are the only species that protects its weak. It sounds cruel, but if our species is to survive and thrive, why do we try so hard to protect these people?

#39 ·
I have a couple of friends that tell me the same thing, But I think they are full of crap. My wing has four times more light than their HD and it can be seen a lot better, and I can listen to the stereo, and talk with the wife. Ear plugs are not required. :grin2:

#4 ·
Just another way for greedy lawyers to get money.

Reading this its just dumb ass BS.

Any dumb ass that can "accidentally" leave a vehicle with button start ignition running in a garage can "Accidentally" do the same with a key/ignition switch.

Not even worth reading further.

But I'm sure the Internet and News will run with this.

#5 ·
Seems to me if you have an ignition you are just as likely to leave a car running in your garage. Maybe more so, since a keyed ignition would be clueless that you left the vehicle while it was running. I'd bet thousands more people have died in the last 100 years from this scenario with keyed ignitions. We need to start suing people for just being stupid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Bones
#6 ·
I had a car for years that didn't require a key or a fob to start/run. I never left it running.
As for the Prius mentioned in the article maybe the "defect" is that you can't tell it is running at all?

#7 · (Edited)
If that's a real problem, then the gene pool REALLY needs a dose of chlorine.

Both of our keyless vehicles sound the warning chime like crazy if the door is opened and the ignition isn't off. Any screw-up beyond that is the fault of the driver, not the carmaker.

#8 ·
I question this "carbon monoxide related death" especially involving a Prius.

When I was doing my driveability training with Chrysler, we hooked up a 5 gas analyzer to a Jeep Wrangler. In the classroom. With doors and windows closed. And while this was a brand new car, the amount of CO produced was insignificant. Not enough to fill a classroom, or a garage, or a house.

I work in real estate, and so we say this phrase often, but.....damn attorneys.

#10 ·
Summary: Owners failed to properly shut off hybrid vehicles, closed garage door, went into house and experienced carbon monoxide exposure.

So instead of making a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for a "potential" vehicle recall/redesign, greed is at the forefront of a lawsuit against the manufacturers, of which will ultimately be passed on to the consumer by means of a higher MSRP. Furthermore, the owner's manual probably made mention of the potential situation (both with the engine running with fob away from vehicle and warnings associated with a running vehicle in an enclosed garage). This is America these days--no one accepting personal responsibility for their actions.

#12 ·
Ok I was curious the other day, me and my wife went for a ride, when we got home (still in the driveway) she exited the car and I gave her my fob, I wanted to see if it would shut off after a minute or two so I sat in the car in the driveway for about 1 minute, all I could take with the dinging so I put it in the garage, shut it off and closed the overhead.... I DID NOT LEAVE IT RUNNING!

#13 ·
Time to develop a CO detector on the car that shuts it down if gassses are detected and car is standing still. The only reason things need to be idiot-proof is because of idiots

#45 ·
That won't work.....the next law suit will come from folks who are deaf or "hard of hearing". Then the real debate of what constitutes "deaf" will ensue, besides all the other foolishness that evolves from these case types.

I like the idea of an auto shutdown after a pre-determined (user or factory set?) amount of time has expired after a "fob not detected" code is set and the vehicle speed sensor registers zero... However, this may have an issue as well....what if the fob battery runs low or goes flat, faulty speed sensor, a Diablo tune :wink3:?

#19 ·
I'm not sure I understand why they're blaming the push button start.
People were leaving cars running in garages and dying long before this.

#21 · (Edited)
IMO i think all cars should have a manual trans, radio with no screen (remember there used to be actual buttons), no navigation or collision warnings, cruise control blind spot, airbag,seat belts, abs bullsh*t we have now & we can just thin the heard!

The cell phones are your # 1 reason for idiots on the road & (in general). keep walking with your head down reading about what Kim kardouchian did last weekend while you complain there are no high paying jobs for your "college degree skills" Seriously we should implement 1960 all over again. everything manual with minimal distractions. when you drove you were driving, not sitting on couch like seats sipping starbucks letting your lexus park itself! ( rant over, sorry)

back on topic!

the simplest way to solve this( i should patent this idea) since 99% of the cars already have the weight sensor for the seat belt chime/light. just hook up a time delay relay to the ignition so if the car was left running for a predetermined time with no weight on the seat it automatically shuts off!

#26 ·
It's a hybrid problem and not a keyless ignition issue. Just another example of hype, trying to make something more (general) than it is to "worry" the masses about their pushbutton start. The Prius does have an issue since it happened to someone I know and he explained the sequence on how you can easily be fooled into thinking the car is completely shut down when it's not. He parked his Prius in his garage and thought it was off because he says there's no real warning to let you know the ignition is still on. He swears he hit the ignition button to turn it off but there's some sequence where it can come back on or not turn off when you press the button (don't remember exactly). You walk away, the car is completely silent (as if it is shut down), yet an hour later the engine starts up in the garage! So yeah, that's a problem! But to twist it into all keyless ignitions being a death trap is just media hype and/or lawyer BS.

If you can walk away from a Scat Pack or SRT and not know it's still idling, you've got bigger problems than the car still running. ;)

Mike

#27 ·
If you can walk away from a Scat Pack or SRT and not know it's still idling, you've got bigger problems than the car still running. ;)

Mike
Ain't that the truth. My neighbors would know the car is still running.

#34 ·
we just live in a time now where everybody tries to get something for nothing. the IDIOTS are taking over & it just seems there are alot more "poosies" nowadays!

now if you want co2 poisoning come sit next to my '63 Impala SS while it idles in my garage for 5 minutes, big cam, headers, no pollution control, ahh the good old days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.