Pushbutton Start FOB distance outside the Car - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pushbutton Start FOB distance outside the Car

Sorry. I know this is a redundant thread but after watching a TopGear episode where they show someone driving off with a Challenger when the key fob is supposedly 100 feet away it got me worried and I took my button start out and started using my FOB in the key slot.

Then of course I came to the forum and searched for the answer... and searched... and searched. I finally found a discussion concerning this in a thread titled Keyless start problems but that took me 45 minutes to locate because I searched for common terms such as FOB and Distance returning a few hundred threads.

So in the interest of the next bloke trying to easily determine the answer to
"How far can my FOB be outside the car and still get the pushbutton to start to work"...

In my completely scientific, double blind test I held the FOB outside the window and the car wouldn't start. EVIC said "Fob not found". Tried that a couple of times and got the same result. I put the fob back in my pocket and the car started. Now I don't assume I have magic pockets so it must actually have some sort of sensor to determine proximity.

So there. I'm not worried about someone stealing my car without some effort or at least a co-worker taking a joy ride as it sits 50 feet from my office (more likely).

I also tried locking the key fob inside the car using the door lock (whilst having the other fob with me), and yea verily, the car detects the fob inside the car, beeps three times and unlocks the door.

Hurray for technology! TopGear obviously makes stuff up (i.e. lies) to get a good laugh.

You can now return to your regularly scheduled burnout program.
2010 Silver R/T -- From Factory -- Super Track Pack, 6spd, 20in Classic Wheels, F1 Tires, R/T side stripes, Upgraded front brakes, Functional hood scoops -- Current Mods -- Mopar CAI, Moroso Catch Can, BMC Skip Shift, Mopar splash guards, Stainless sills, Hood Struts, Custom Engine Cover (removed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Once started the key fob does NOT have to be near the car for it to keep running. You can get in, start the car with the key fob, and get out and walk away and the car will keep running. I pulled the car out of the garage once for my wife, then got out and she took my son to hockey practice 10 miles away without the key fob. I had to drive out there after practice for her to get the car restarted.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyj1 View Post
Once started the key fob does NOT have to be near the car for it to keep running. You can get in, start the car with the key fob, and get out and walk away and the car will keep running. I pulled the car out of the garage once for my wife, then got out and she took my son to hockey practice 10 miles away without the key fob. I had to drive out there after practice for her to get the car restarted.
The good news is if you get carjacked at least the impolite fella won't be able to easily restart the car.
Has there been a thread discussing theft rates on challengers? I don't think my R/T is in as much danger as an SRT but I still don't want to deal with recovering a stolen vehicle.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM

i cant start my car if its in my pocket, and i reach in through the window.

What i have noticed is the keyless start has locked me out of my other car (oldsmobile) which doesnt have it. ya, i forgot to takew the key out of the ignition when i shut it off got out and locked the doors. I forgot to TAKE THE KEY because i never need to take the key out of the challenger since it alwats stays in my pocket

Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Photos: (21)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TexasBrandon Send a message via Yahoo to TexasBrandon
Well I can start it from directly outside the door reaching in but that's about as far as it goes. I think the guys on To pGear had a second key in the car and neglected to tell anyone about it. Because my remote keyless entry won't even work at that distance.

Mods: Predator 93 Tune, DiabloSport Catch Can
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I can't start mine unless the FOB is in the car. As far as starting the car from outside, it won't or at least shouldn't start unless the brake is pressed.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by aarcuda View Post
i cant start my car if its in my pocket, and i reach in through the window.
Hmmm... Well I didn't try that test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.