Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Quality

6K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  SoCalChallengerLover 
#1 ·
I am supposed to be picking up a 2015 RT Classic later this week and want to know if people are happy with their decisions to buy a Challenger. I have seen many posts that owners seem to be not too happy. The hemi tick also has me a little worried. Has the car been reliable for you? My car will be a second car for me so not my daily driver.

Thank you

#3 ·
Not sure where you saw they are unhappy. I for one love my car, i bought it used as i can not afford a brand new one, but all cars have issues everynow and then, just way it is. I havent had one problem yet. And the looks that i get when in it are probably my favorite thing, when i pass other challengers. Most of the guys driving them are a little older and dont expect to see a youngin in it. Haha. I dont think ill ever trade this one back in, will probably be first car i ever keep

#4 ·
Pick it up !! We have a 2015 RT plus just love it !! So much fun to drive , and it's one the best looking cars on the road
Put on 7000 miles all ready no issues ,
IMO most here really enjoy there challenger !

Attachments

Reactions: wlemer
#5 ·
My smiles-per-gallon always beats my miles-per-gallon lol, I love my 2010 R/T

Reactions: ChallengerR/TFan
#7 ·
. . . and want to know if people are happy with their decisions to buy a Challenger. I have seen many posts that owners seem to be not too happy. . .
I am extremely happy. I really liked my 2009 R/T, but just had to get the 2015 R/T Scat Pack to replace the '09. The Scat Pack is perfect in every way and the car I have wanted for 40 years.

These cars are very reliable. And I see more posts from those who like their cars than posts from those who don't.

Reactions: 19johned53
#8 ·
I really enjoy my Challenger. The more I've had it, the more I've come to like it.

However, there is a caveat: there could be much better quality in the materials.

My issues:

*Hemi tick - annoying as all get out as every time someone rides in the car for the first time, they think my lifters are going out
*Lifters - Had to have them replaced at 30k miles under warranty in an attempt to fix the tick......didn't work
*Camshaft - Replaced at 30k miles because of a defect
*Mystery dents - Roof, front quarter panels, and hood
*Electrical gremlins - Blamed on push button start getting "stuck" during ignition cycle. Dealer says "Just press it again if it happens again."

Other than that, it's been a pretty good experience. I'd say the car falls in line with other Dodge vehicles my family has owned in the past. Very nice design, fun and comfortable to drive, but shop visits are inevitable from time to time.

For what it's worth, my car has 40k miles on it and I don't drive it hard. Looking back would I buy it again? Ehhh....maybe. To me, the Challenger is overpriced for what it is. However, as long as people are buying them Dodge will keep the price where it is. Other than that, and a few issues, I'm happy with it.

#9 ·
I'm used to driving German cars and honestly I've been WAY more pleased with quality than I thought I would be. Only irritating thing is the thin paint. Front bumper chips VERY easily.

Hemi tick is kinda annoying, but just have to learn to ignore it.

#10 ·
Love them so much that I'm on my second one. :) One thing to remember is that many people come to internet forums to complain or find fixes to issues, you can't take that info and then assume the cars are problematic in general.

Get the car and enjoy it!

Reactions: 19johned53
#12 ·
Yep, I'm happy and on my second Challenger. It's the only car that I would spend this kind of money on.

All cars have their own issues, and no brand is perfect. Having a good dealer is key, especially when dealing with any problems, but this is also true with any brand.

Love the looks, comfort, ride and performance the Challenger offers. It's the "finger" in the crowd of automotive "blah" designs.

#13 ·
That Hemi Tick thing is curious to me. I hear a fair amount of tick reports but nothing on my SRT with 3K miles. Just did my first oil change and still purring like a kitty. I did make it a point to listen for it before signing the papers on purchase though. Maybe one problem with ordering new. If it's there on delivery, you own it.

#14 ·
Thanks. I just spoke with someone from work and they said the tick was there day one. I heard it run but didn't think it was real bad in my opinion.

I don't believe any of the cars I test drove did it. I will have to listen to this one before I sign. That was a good idea.

#15 · (Edited)
If you notice while you were checking post it's the same small group constantly complaining.
But a forum this size there will be a few cars with more issues than others.It happens with every brand.
And I can understand why they would be upset.

Mine ticks on ocassion,my 06 5.7 has had a light tick since new.It dosnt bother me,I use to drive nothing but modified Muscle cars,solid lifters and other various noises, so I just relate it to performance.

Both have been solid reliable cars.I'm pretty easy on the SRT but drove the dog out of the 06 Daytona starting on
day one.. Only issue to date is a broken motor mount on the 5.7.a couple of months ago.

#16 ·
All 3 of mine have or had a "hemi tick", if it is loud maybe it is a symptom of an issue but mild noise is normal. I certainly have maintained the cars but never babied any of them and raced both SRT's

#17 ·
My 2011 5.7 and my 2016 392 were/are quiet, no tick. Not Honda quiet, but no "HEMI tick."

#18 ·
Its my daily driver, 45000 miles so far and I've done NOTHING but oil changes and tires (more tires than I'd like, but you pay to play!) Mechanically, cosmetically, and electrically the car has been flawless.

I'm an oddball, I guess, because just about EVERY Chrysler product I've owned has been this way (with a couple of exceptions- Dad's 78 Horizon and my wife's 05 PT Cruiser for example). I grew up in the 70s/80s thinking of Chrysler products as being "the reliable cars" and Toyota/Honda as unreliable junk and not the other way around. Even in the 90s, my wife and I bought a Vision TSi and just drove it without a thought for 250,000 miles while a friend bought and traded away two Hondas and spent a lot of downtime at the dealer with them.

Reactions: Turbozcs2003
#19 ·
Any auto enthusiast site is going to be a central point for complaints about that particular marque and model. You'll see the same level of complaints against Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, etc. No vehicle is perfect and mistakes do occur.

How a dealer and the manufacturer deals with warranty issues and the inevitable "Lemons" is what makes or breaks a vehicle for me.

#22 ·
Compared to previous European and Japanese cars I've had in the past, Dodge still has a lot to learn but I have to say the 2015/2016 models offer a vast improvement on fit and finish. I wasn't happy when I found out my SRT had a warped engine hood from factory, but they repaired without issues and the car is perfect now. Don't expect panel fitment quality of imports in the same price range, dodge is dodge. But the fun factor is off the charts. The 392 engine is a masterpiece in my opinion, and its sound puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Annoyances? Sure, there are a few, like the bug in the uConnect system that will keep the sound volume control with speed active even though it shows OFF on the screen (you need to cycle through 3, 2, 1 and OFF to turn it off every time), or the SRT page mode always going back to 'default' at engine restart. Mostly software stuff.

#23 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently ordered a Russian mail order bride. She should be flying in this weekend where I'll pick her up at the airport and immediately go get married, all at my expense of course. We messaged back and forth on the internet, saw some pictures "she" sent me but never spoke on the phone or saw her in person.

I'm really excited. Everything is set in place, but I have a few questions. How do you guys like your wives? Any marital problems that I need to know about? Does anyone here have first hand experience with Russian women? I'd like to know these things going into the marriage. I read that women in general can be a pain in the ass sometimes, they can be fussy, and may not look their best at all times. So I'd like to hear about your marriages in the meantime while I get ready for mine.

Thanks

#27 ·
Thanks for the responses. Some were helpful and some not. I have cold feet coming from a competitive Manufacturer and this potentially being my first Mopar so I think my questions are legitimate.

I am using a dealer in another state and they have not been responsive since Saturday. Not sure this will happen now.

#28 ·
I'm on number 4 if that tells you anything.Buy one.Some have the tick,some do not.My 2014 R/T had it,decreased after break in.My 2015 is has less tick to begin with.Not broken in yet.2014 ran great as does this one.No reported failures from tick.Buy the car.The number of thrilled Challenger owners is probably 1000 times those who are not satisfied.Some gripes are legit,some are nit picking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.