Dodge Challenger Forum banner

A question about tires.

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  RobF 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm thinking about changing from the Goodyear F1 Supercar 245/45-20 and 255/45-20 tires on my 2012 SRT8 392 with the stock 9" Alcoa rims, to the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrical 275/45-20s all around. What I really wanted to do was to just replace the 255 rears with 285 rears, but Goodyear doesn't make that size in the F1 Supercar range, ergo the swap of all 4 tires to the F1 Asymmetrical range.

What are your thoughts? Do you guys foresee any issues with going that wide up front in regards to clearance issues, et al?

Thanks,

Rob

#3 ·
Why do you dislike the Goodyears? I don't track my car, but for day to day driving and occasional hard running, I don't find them to be that bad. At least comparable to the Continental ContiSports I had on my BMW 335i.

Thanks, buddy.

#7 ·
Got the pettys garage sway bars made by progress. Front is 35mm hollow, much much lighter than oem and 3 way adjustable. Rear is 22mm solid also 3 way adjustable. Bolt in sub frame connectors by petty. Bought them at SF. High flow cats are just a waste of money IMO. You'll gain maybe a couple horsepowers. We also have the CA emission testing to consider. I don't if it'll have an affect or not. Congrats on the new house by the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip on the sways. From what I've read around here, the Magnaflow hi-flow mids offer around 10bhp and a richer, deeper sound. 10 ponies is probably more than what you'd get out of the average CAI which many folks will pay $400 for. The M'flow cats are emissions legal in CA, however they lack a CARB number, so they technically won't pass visual inspection. There are, as you know, plenty of places that will "forget" to check for CARB compliance around here.

Reactions: wasp392
#9 ·
Yes I have the Magnaflow exhaust as you described and the Speedlogix (Razors Edge) Strut Tower brace on my front end. Don't have the same in back. Both the Petty and Razors Edge braces are good quality. I just liked the way the Razor Edge brace looks in the engine bay better than the Petty version........ :5:

Reactions: RobF
#11 ·
Vichris -

How was the installation of the mids? Did you have to drop your cat-back, or was it a simple process to remove the stock mids, and bolt the new ones back on?

#23 · (Edited)
I must be missing something with the rear bars. The center connection over and under the exhaust is the weak point and, weak it is.

Tires, I just had to replace all 4 and went with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2. They scored very well in tests and are very reasonable for price too.
Car and Driver did a head to head on 9 affordable summer tires and the Evo2 did very well (second place out of 9) but all the comments on all the tires is worth reading. More information is better than less.
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Comparison Tests

Reactions: RobF
#27 ·
The hankooks are great tires and have great traction and it's the best bang for your buck. I see lots of 4 bangers and M3s using them at the track. But it doesn't do too good on our heavy cars. When choosing a tire, one must account the weight of the vehicle. Just my observation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I wouldn't buy Hankook tires just because of the way the guy says "Hahngook Tahz" at the end of that commercial! ;)

Mike

#26 ·
And the use.
You don't see many 4 bangers that use the same size tire either, bigger tires, more grip. To that your point may be more important if you were on a track pushing to get 110% out of the car but as a street car, they offer excellent performance, at a great price.
I have been up to some good speeds and through some good twisties around my house and I have never felt less than planted and safe.
If for whatever reason a person does not prefer a specific item, by all means do not buy it.
They have been tested many times with other tires and they do very well. I am happy :D YMMV!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.