Dodge Challenger Forum banner

R/T-Plus vs Scat - new buyer

45K views 132 replies 43 participants last post by  2015SXT 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new car purchase and I've narrowed it down to the challenger/charger. I rented both (V6) versions and while I enjoyed the extra space of the charger, it felt slower and less lively than the challenger. Add to that I'm a single guy, and well....I'm almost entirely in the challenger camp at this point.

So my questions basically revolves around the 2017 R/T plus vs the scat. (The SRT is above my price range, and I'm not interested in a base model R/T)

What I like about the R/T plus

1. softer suspension - will be used as a daily driver. I don't care for a jarring ride.
2. Cheaper (vehicle price, maintenance, gas - uses regular, etc)
3. more base features (at least it appears that way)
4. I like the rims on the Plus (this is a personal thing)

What I don't like:

1. Leather interior - I dont care for the extra maintenance and the wear lines/grooves. I tend to be abusive with my seats, so I usually put seat covers on and forget about it.
2. 5.7 - I know its a good engine, but its power levels are totally outclassed compared to other performance vehicles on the street. I test drove a new charger R/T premium and the car felt sluggish. (Maybe because it wasn't broken in?)

What I Like about the Scat:

1. Performance - The 6.4 should have no problems with most cars on the road.
2. Base Cloth interior - drop some wet-okole and forget about it.
3. Sound - the engine sounds badass.

What I don't like about the scat:
1. Suspension - hearing reports on the forum that its much rougher than the "sport" (non STP) suspension.
2. Extra cost/maintenance (premium fuel, tires, oil, insurance, etc. and I do drive a lot).
3. Not sure if lowered suspension and fascia/front-end would be a problem banging into stuff in parking lots (saw someone mention that in a previous thread) some of the roads around here are not the best.

I know from above it seems that the RT-plus is the clear winner, but I have a close friend who is ***ADAMANT*** that getting the 6.4 is the only logical choice. He states the 5.7 is a waste of time If one of my primary reasons for buying this car is to go faster and not be victimized by idiots on the road. I live in an area where the driving is very aggressive and I have a lot of issues in my 4cyl accord sedan, and I am getting fed up with it. I drive 70/30 highway/city.

R/T plus priced : $41470 without incentives
Scat Pack priced: $44470 without incentives (3k difference)

both include sound group 2, technology group, convenience group, and HD/Nav radio.

Help me out here, anyone else face a similar dilemma? This is a long term purchase (5+ years) if that matters, I wont be trading up anytime soon.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Both models use the same base tires for the 20" wheels.

Milage for the 5.7/A8 will be a bit higher than the 6.4/A8 and yes premium is required on 6.4 and recommended on 5.7/M6 - 5.7/A8 can get by with 89 octane.

Bottom line, if you weren't satisfied with the performance of the 5.7 in the Charger, you won't be satisfied in the Challenger with that. The 6.4 has a lot more low end /mid range torque and upper end power.

#4 ·
Get the Classic on the R/T Plus and then you get the nice nappa/suede seats and the 5.7L will run on regular. The 5.7L in 2017 will have the same active exhaust as the Scat so should sound equally as bad.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Just curious of how fast you want to go? The RT will do at least 145mph governed and about 168mph non governed. Around town the 410LBs of torque (with 6 speed in my case) is pretty strong. Are you trying to street race or drag/track race often? If so the 6.4 is a no brainer. So search your sole what you are looking to do with the Challenger. Now saying that, if I could of gotten my 2010 RTclassic with the 6.1 but with my suspension and looks of the classic package, I would of done it. The additional cost in fuel wouldn't of mattered since I drive it just for fun.

#6 ·
With a small investment you can really wake up the RT. It will not be 6.4 level power but look at my sig. If you are looking at a base model scat pack they are fairly inexpensive though. Bang for your buck wise you can't beat it. I went with my RT because at the time I was concerned about finances.

#34 · (Edited)
Couldn't agree more. I had driven my friends 13 R/T and wasn't thoroughly impressed with the stock power. At the dealership I work at a guy traded in his 13 R/T but had added a Mopar CAI, resonator delete, and had a tune on it, and it was like night and day. I had to buy it, and I destroy new Camaro SS's and Mustangs don't even hold a candle to it. Hope this helps!

#7 ·
If you think that you will stay happy with the stock 5.7, and have no intentions to "mod", then go with the 5.7.

I had a '10 R/TC, and loved it to death. It was just a great all around "ride" for me. Unfortunately, when it got flood totaled, I had to start from scratch again.

I ordered a '16 Scat Pack for a replacement, and kept the options low. A8/WRT wheels/Modern Hood Stripe. Listed for $41880 at the time (one year ago)

I decided that the price of another R/TC vs a modest Scat Pack was SO close, that I went with the "boys" instead of the "toys". I've been extremely pleased with it.

Love the cloth seating, and on road trips, the gas mileage is comparable to my old R/TC with the 5.7.

The suspension is firm, but not harsh IMO. I had Mopar Stage One lowering springs on my '10, so I can say that the ride is comparable, but the Scat Pack has more ground clearance.

The 392 is a considerable step up, performance wise, to the 5.7. It's what I wanted, and I'm glad that I made this choice.

One thing to think about is the warranty. If you are considering going with the Chrysler Lifetime Bumper to Bumper extended warranty, it's not available anymore on the Scat Pack, but is available on the 5.7 cars.

This may or may not be an issue for you. Best of luck choosing, as they both are fine rides.

#9 ·
For me, the main advantage of the Scat Pack is obviously the 6.4. However, I feel that since the RT can be had with active exhaust, the main reason to step up to the Scat Pack is for the upgraded suspension and brakes. I don't plan on making much use of the additional power that the 6.4 offers over the 5.7, but the other goodies that come along with the engine are the thing that sells the Scat Pack to me.

Adding those things to the RT will cost more than the price difference between comparably equipped RT and Scat Pack, but you still are down on power.

#10 ·

My responses embedded......I owned a 5.7 Blacktop with STP, similar to RT Plus:

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new car purchase and I've narrowed it down to the challenger/charger. I rented both (V6) versions and while I enjoyed the extra space of the charger, it felt slower and less lively than the challenger. Add to that I'm a single guy, and well....I'm almost entirely in the challenger camp at this point.

So my questions basically revolves around the 2017 R/T plus vs the scat. (The SRT is above my price range, and I'm not interested in a base model R/T)

What I like about the R/T plus

1. softer suspension - will be used as a daily driver. I don't care for a jarring ride. (Not softer. STP cars feel very similar to "Sport Mode Off" on an SRT.....Or....just like a SCAT. The STP shocks and sway bars are basically same as SCAT. You never mentioned BRAKES. Game changer if you like performance goodies).

2. Cheaper (vehicle price, maintenance, gas - uses regular, etc) (My 6.4 mileage is the same as my 5.7. Oil Filters cost more. Uses a little more oil. Insurance went a $4 per month when I traded. Bottom line....maintenance/operational cost difference is small).

3. more base features (at least it appears that way)

4. I like the rims on the Plus (this is a personal thing) The 6.4 rims are 0.5 inches wider (can take a 275 tire) and made of lighter alloy.

What I don't like:

1. Leather interior - I dont care for the extra maintenance and the wear lines/grooves. I tend to be abusive with my seats, so I usually put seat covers on and forget about it. (The suede/leather combo is easy to care for, doesn't wrinkle, and comes in tan or red)

2. 5.7 - I know its a good engine, but its power levels are totally outclassed compared to other performance vehicles on the street. I test drove a new charger R/T premium and the car felt sluggish. (Maybe because it wasn't broken in?) (outclassed by what? If you only consider peak HP than you missing the whole picture. You must consider the Torque and the HP under the frequently used power band. The 5.7 has bigger torque than a 5.0 in most ranges. The car does NOT feel sluggish. An RT feels very similar to a SRT in most daily driving situations)

What I Like about the Scat:

1. Performance - The 6.4 should have no problems with most cars on the road. Neither will the RT
2. Base Cloth interior - drop some wet-okole and forget about it.
3. Sound - the engine sounds badass.

What I don't like about the scat:
1. Suspension - hearing reports on the forum that its much rougher than the "sport" (non STP) suspension. Not true. See earlier

2. Extra cost/maintenance (premium fuel, tires, oil, insurance, etc. and I do drive a lot). See earlier

3. Not sure if lowered suspension and fascia/front-end would be a problem banging into stuff in parking lots (saw someone mention that in a previous thread) some of the roads around here are not the best. No problem as the STP cars ride at the same height as a SCAT or 2011-2014 SRT.

I know from above it seems that the RT-plus is the clear winner, but I have a close friend who is ***ADAMANT*** that getting the 6.4 is the only logical choice. He states the 5.7 is a waste of time If one of my primary reasons for buying this car is to go faster and not be victimized by idiots on the road. I live in an area where the driving is very aggressive and I have a lot of issues in my 4cyl accord sedan, and I am getting fed up with it. I drive 70/30 highway/city. Either car will beat 90% of the cars on the road. You will likely never be in a situation (other than stopping) where the differences between the 2 mean anything.

R/T plus priced : $41470 without incentives
Scat Pack priced: $44470 without incentives (3k difference) If You can afford $3K....get the SCAT. They didn't have SCAT's when I bought my SRT so there was an $8K-10K delta in price.

both include sound group 2, technology group, convenience group, and HD/Nav radio.

Help me out here, anyone else face a similar dilemma? This is a long term purchase (5+ years) if that matters, I wont be trading up anytime soon.

Thanks.
Listen to me. I know. I regularly raced both on the street. I bought the 6.4 because it had bigger brakes and I wanted "6.4 bragging rights." Either car will satisfy....unless you track race.

#11 ·
When I drove a stripped out Scat Pack in September, I fell in love with the car and was ready to sign the contract. Got my credit union financing in order, had the wife look at it, and then I got insurance quotes from my insurer and USAA, State Farm, Geico, Farm Bureau, Farmers, and Hartford.

My insurance was going to jump up by nearly a thousand dollars to just over a thousand dollars annually for comparable coverage on a 250/500 policy. No accidents/citations, garaged, homeowner, married in my 50's, good FICO scoring, no children, live in a preferred ZIP code, etc. I was stunned. If I bought a RT Shaker/Shaker Plus, my insurance was going up by a max of $200 annually and that wasn't an issue.

Check your insurance rate locally before seeing a dealer.

#15 ·
Ouch! Mine went up $4 per month. I guess they realized that I was too cool to take advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Scat all day long. Super unleaded and tires are on the menu tho. Plan on going through a lot of gas and destroying those skinny 245 tires before you settle down. Man I loved those smoke shows!!

The front chin spoiler is low so mostly look out for parking curbs and occasional scrape here and there while on the road so be cautious if the roads are bad in your area.

Ride is stiff but not bad. Do not put a tower strut on tho if you want to keep that smoother ride as it stiffens up quite a bit with one.

Insurance may play a factor with the Scat based on your age, where you live, and your driving record. You should get some quotes before you dive in.

#14 ·
I love working on cars but if you are buying new and the price difference is only $3k then the Scat is a no brainer.

Reactions: EricG
#16 ·
Yeah that's a lot of money for the 5.7 R/T.

#18 ·
I've owned a '13 R/T and now a 15 Scat. albeit, the RT had the old Auto 5, and i have test driven a A8 5.7, it did help, but from a seat of the pants perspective, the RT performance wise is a middle of the pack performer, No update in power for 9 years! After i got beat on a highway off ramp by a 4 door 2000's something MBZ Sedan, i knew the game was up. I could only imagine the feeling of getting roasted by a grocery mom in a V6 Accord. Yes, they post faster numbers. The 6.4's is basically Supercar Power, Basically 500HP. The Apache 6.4 was originally tuned to just over 500HP, but the tuning was changed to a fatter Torque curve sacrificing some higher end power, After the engineers just weren't happy with the 'Feel' of the car. This did not make the car slower, because the car is being pushed harder now through the entire RPM range. the A8 really does help the 5.7, but not like the 6.4. Get the Scat, and change the suspension to a base RT's later, if you find it to harsh. Parts would almost be Free, labor maybe 500 ish. I did a suspension swap on my orig 10 Se, really pretty easy.
6.4 for Performance, Resale, bragging rights, Thrill and Love. Take my word.

#19 ·
Hey folks...
I just bought a new challenger...
and i am loving it... every day...
Got the window tint done to it...
The other thing i am really into is to get a nice exhaust job...
I have been researching about it these days but not able to make any choice...so plz guys share your views and thought...
What i am really looking for nice deep mean growling kind if a sound or deep rumble...
And yes it is for a v6 ... i know i am kind a asking alot like v8... but plz suggest me somthing that really goes well for v6...

#20 ·
I'm driving a 2015 R/T plus A8. I'm in CA and at least here I can tell you that the 5.7 makes more power than a majority of cars on the road. The A8 is shockingly good and fun to shift manually when you feel like it. I have installed the SRT chin spoiler which is on the scat pack and you WILL scrape it if going with a Scat. I have a sto n sho license plate holder mounted in front of it which has protected it from a couple driveway scrapes. The R/T is slightly higher and I have to be careful on many driveways and when parking. If you're looking for a cool all around car that is a bit more affordable and gets you that muscle car feel, the R/T is awesome. All that being said...If you can afford the 6.4...just do it. The thing gets pretty close gas mileage to a 5.7 unless you're flooring it at every stop light and really is a solid step up as far as power, suspension, and brakes.

#23 ·
I think it comes down to what you can afford.

I bought earlier this year a 2015 RT Plus w/ Classic Pkg. which came down to 33700 from 42000 sticker. A Scat pack with same options was still in the 44k range including any discounts so my choice was easy. Had to consider kids college. Would I love to own a Scat Pack, yes but had other things to consider.

If it truly comes down to a 3k difference then go for it. If it turns out to be something more significant then you have to weigh your options.

#24 ·
Those prices are a bit much.

Not sure what options you are wanting, but a SPAG-only Scat Pack can be had for much less than that RT Plus.

A low mileage 1 owner Scat Pack could be had for $35-$37K at this point.

Scat Pack all the way.

Of course this all depends chosen options.

#26 ·
Scat all the way! I got mine for 32,740! You can find killer deals right now. Be patient! I looked for 3 months before I landed mine in the color I wanted. This thing is a fun ride. Its not a hellcat but the exhaust is factory good and plenty of power. Ive had the 5.7. No freaking way for me. Thing is a slug with a 5.7 compared to a 6.4

#29 ·
I had a 2015 R/T Plus, and now have a 2016 Scat Pack. Daily Driver, 15k/yr As far as suspension, I was nervous about the Scat being too stiff, I have a bad back. Scat is different than the R/T, stiffer maybe, but it's less annoying to me than the R/T. I think it's the Bilsteins that make it better. If one bothers you, so will the other.

The one thing nobody's mentioned is, with the A8 in both cars, the 5.7 down shifts 3-4 gears every time you accelerate. The 6.4 just accelerates, once in awhile down a gear, but it's just not annoying like the 5.7. That down shifting crap drove me NUTS! I'm talking about daily driving, just wanting to get around other cars or merge into traffic. It would be worth $5k to not have to deal with that alone.

#30 · (Edited)
I had a '14 base R/T A5, and it was a no-brainer to turn it in when I found out about the SP for '15. Frankly, I thought the R/T (again, base model, mind you) handled terribly...very wallowy in curves and way too much understeer. Very disappointed in myself for not getting the STP option...I'm sure that would have helped. Funny thing is that my car previous to the '14 was a '13 SXT with the Super Sport Group, and I thought the car was very nicely balanced and responsive...just underpowered. But I did like that the 3.6 was a higher-revving engine (6400 shifts)...and that was another thing I couldn't get used to about the 5.7...it felt like it shifted WAY too early (5700). The Scat is just so satisfying all-around...the 6.4 with the A8 is a great combo..pulls hard up to 6200, handles reasonably well and the ride is firm but not jarring (although I still wish the steering had a little quicker ratio). Downside to the SP...none for me, really...love every minute driving it. Other than I have to remote start it with the garage door closed when I leave at 5:30...the startup bark would annoy my sleeping neighbors (whole 'nother thread on that issue!).

#31 ·
Here's what you get for your $3k:

don't forget about all the other components that are an "upgrade" on the Scat:

axles, driveshaft, brakes, suspension, dual-runner intake, radiator, active exhaust system, integrated oil cooler, rear differential, and 220 amp alternator.

#38 ·
Really????

You mean when my 2016 R/T SHAKER 5.7 hits the Big 3750 miles.......it's going to be even Better than it is Now? WOW.
Can't wait to :locked: unlock the power.
I am at 2000 miles now, but won't hit the magic number till next spring/summer [NY winter].
Driving that car in Sport mode is fun in the sun :wink3:.
Would JBA shorty's with no other exhaust mods help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.