R/T to SRT to R/T? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R/T to SRT to R/T?

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately after recently test driving the 2012-2013 Challenger line. I think the improvements made to the 2011+ R/Ts with STP make them even closer to the 2008-2010 SRT than the pre 2011 R/T was. I really only could sense a difference when I really was pushing the car (tossing it, revving it past 5K), which I admit I very rarely do anyway. In some ways, I liked it a little better than my car. I am also sick of juggling between a work/beater car and the SRT which sits in the garage most of the time. Basically, I am paying money for the car to sit and depreciate while I drive around a 20 year Lexus that I freeze in in the cold mornings since it sits outside. I've made this choice but often wonder if it was the right one. I am thinking in the near future I may downsize to just one car, and would like a Challenger still. I would not keep my SRT as it is a 6 speed, and the wife cannot drive it, and around here a stick is for the play car, not the daily driver IMO. Thus, I am thinking of getting another R/T Classic (my favorite looking) and it being my daily driver and not a toy like my SRT currently is. I have driven the 392 and was impressed by it, but it would be too much $$$ and too much power to daily drive for me, not to mention I'd worry more about it than a R/T (sorry, it's the truth). I cannot see myself spending 60K on a 6.2 SC or even 45-50K on a 392. I would like to eventually buy another house at some point... I could wait until 2014 and see what happens with the styling updates, but if they do the single headlights up front, I am not a fan. Thus, I am seriously considering a R/T Classic with STP and auto this time ( I know I'd have to switch the tires out for winter). I really love the Stinger Yellow too. I guess I am looking for some opinions on this. My wife is okay with it but says the Challenger must be a bright color either SY or H/O when it becomes available... And no, I brought it up to her, not the other way around. I guess looking back, I should not have gotten rid of my first R/T Classic, but it is what it is. For the amount extra I spent on the SRT, it was not entirely worth it for what I use the car for and how I drive it.

Last edited by StealthChallenger; 12-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM

...they seriously still do not compete with the 6.1l SRT...suspension, braking, or power. Personally, having partaken in the SRT8 off the bat after experiencing the R\T for a bit, I couldn't go back. While they are the same..car, it feels like a different..well, hell, I guess that is what trims exist for. Level of "TRIM" it feels higher quality over-all, and I still out-pull 5.0 and SS's (mind you I have the first year 08 but still manage 4.6-4.7 0-60's consistently). My basic idea is, if you can afford the best, buy the best. That's all. This is a car with an image, SRT backs that up. I would not expect MORE power as years progress though without a HIGH cost attached, the set in stone CAFE laws are not leaving, and these cars are dying, if you can grab a legit one with what will be a "legendary" engine...do it. If you can't, that's fine, go with what you are comfortable owning.

Last edited by Rpaulg87; 12-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM

I guess I am just looking to see which would be better to daily drive. For cost of ownership, mileage, and the like the R/T is a compelling package. If you want raw power, SRT cannot be denied. I like them all, but the R/T Classic is the best looking to me. Since I hardly push the car to notice the improvements much, that is what got me thinking again.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That's why I got my car. Beautiful, practical, daily driven, with enough power to get me into trouble. The R/T Classic with the Heritage wheels is the best looking Challenger, IMO.
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn rear suspension kit (soon!)
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
SLP skip shift eliminator
Billet Technology catch can
Beltronics Pro 300 radar detector
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Well, my wife and I are laughing, I read her the post, and we had a similar discussion on hey whadaya think about me getting a new Challenger? She insisted the color be bright! (are they all alike or what? women that is) Of course not so e z to get a bright color right now. Really waiting on B5 again. (I can hope) Hello Dodge? Come in pleaze!

I debate the SRT/RT thing all the time in my head. The incentives offered tend to sway the financial side of me. I mean now there is like $2500 on an R/T. So if the gap of the SRT to RT wasn't large enough, then there is that for thought. On top of, I do agree the Classic looks the best still. But, I have driven 3 392's, 2 sticks and 1 auto. They are animals! I drove an 12 R/T automatic as well, and buddy that car was quick and tight. I prefer the 6 spd, but could live with an automatic. (just don't tell my wife)
Do I tie up another $10k in an SRT, and it depreciates? I dunno it's pretty cool. It's 1 or 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, but my car has never been there. And the 0-60 timer has never been used. The the debate roars on.

So, here is the thing, a car guy, will find a way to justify this in either direction and feel absolutely fine about it. Lol, we all do it, all of us car guys can justify a car or car related purchase. Well yeah, but this one is (insert what is applicable here) newer, brighter, louder, more HP, looks better, has chrome etc.

Hey man good luck with decision, wanted to let you know, you are not the only one.

PS - Aren't the sway bars all the same size now? And oh yeah, price an SRT brake job, then price an R/T. Big difference. I am not pro or con, just info and food for thought.

Last edited by shiftintohigh; 12-13-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add PS
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Well, I love my 12 RT M6. However after driving a YJ the other day I WANT ONE. But I wouldnt wanna own an SRT, YJ or any other that just sat cause I couldnt justify driving it. Gonna bring some possible controversy here, but what do you know of the timming chain issue with the new 5.7 autos, have any changes been made as a possibe resolve/fix in newer motors? I havent seen or heard of one. Also while at the Dodge house, I asked about the TCs. The service guys I spoke with hadnt heard of any but, after discussion and getting in to how MDS was a suspect, they said the sylonoids (MDS) were on back order cause they kept going out. Food for thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to RT23 For This Useful Post:
cannonballcobb (12-14-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM

With your particular case it sounds like a no brainer. Get the RT.

I have driven an SE and RT but not an SRT8. But I prefer the look of the SRT8 over the overs, but like you, I feel that the extremes which the SRT8 trim provides, I would never put to use, so an RT, would be a better suit for me. I'm just thinking of practical usage. I don't really agree with buying a car and it being a weekend thing while you drive a beater, that sounds silly to me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 651 Posts
Based on economics just drive the SRT you have every day. This is MY opinion only, after driving this car in a manual trans it wouldn't be as enjoyable in an automatic. You may go buy the new car and regret getting the auto or regret going to the RT.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM

I originally wanted a 2010 B5 Blue Classic with stick and no sunroof. When I found out the STP was not available on it or the Detonator Yellow 2010 R/T Classic, I got an orange one. Then I kept saying I should have gotten the SRT and eventually did. I don't really regret it too much making the move for what I use the car for (toy), but I think I would rather have a daily. I could use mine as a daily, but to me, I'd feel less guilty about daily driving a R/T vs the more exclusive and rare SRT. I guess there will be more than enough people who save these cars down the line and put them on moth balls. I just am realizing it is kind of waste...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 651 Posts
I imagine it will cost you money out of pocket to buy the RT so is it worth it then? If you already own the SRT why not enjoy it? Good luck in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.