Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Ran over plastic wrap

9K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Challenger Beast 
#1 ·
I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden I see this packing wrap across the he highway. I had no choice but to go over it. After I went over it I heard a noise underneath my car for a few minutes then stopped. I looked underneath my car and it looks like it got caught up in the drive shaft. The car is driving normal but do I have to be concerned about anything? Will it wear off on its own?

#4 ·
Yes clean it up before it melts to the exhaust. That is one hell of a mess to chisel off. You dont want to go there.

#7 ·
Yea, cut it off. It's not likely, but possible that it could cause a minor imbalance of the driveshaft.

#18 ·
A few years ago (Not in my Challenger) I ran over a piece of thick plastic wrap. Like some of the others above experienced, it got on the muffler, melted and smelled awful for a long time. There wasn't much I could do about it but let it gradually melt away, which it did. Since then I dodge that crap.

I know a guy who was off-roading his Jeep and ran over a discarded tennis net. I guess it was hiding in the weeds and he didn't see it. It wrapped up around his driveshaft and busted the tailshaft off his transmission and did all kinds of other damage. So things could be worse!

Bill

#19 ·
I'd cut it off and it may not be a bad idea to bring it by a mechanic to check it more thoroughly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.