Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Real HP of 2014 5.7 Hemi 6 sp Challenger

32K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  LrHemi 
#1 ·
Sorry in advance I am a newbie I have read some other threads and the don't jive with some data I have seen. The link below is from a dyno test at kenne bell for Challenger / Charger (see chart the real numbers) which shows 332 RWHP and 391 HP for a 5.7 and states add plus 20 for the 6 speed car as this is for a automatic. So if this is correct then the correct number for my 2014 should be approx 410 HP from the factory ?

Hemi 5.7 Supercharger

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've seen those numbers before. I had an RT for a while and never did a legit dyno to compare, but I can believe 391 for the auto.

People get pretty up in arms around here about RT owners claiming more than 373 (auto). There's the school of thought that says "The Ram is 391 with the Hemi, so that makes sense."

There's another school of thought that says Dodge underrated the RT when it debuted because advertising at 391 would have made the SRT, which at the time was 425, not seem like that great of a deal at $10-$20k more.

Then there's the school of thought that says it's 373 and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise. There are dynos upon dynos to back up both claims. I honestly am not sure. I don't think your manual is 410 from the factory though.

#4 ·
There's a giant, long thread a few years back discussing this. The take away was that the difference between the 5.7 in the Challenger vs in the Ram is that the Ram has more room in the bay for a different intake setup which does in fact allow for it to be tuned for more HP. With the 6.4L out now in the SRT removing any possible reason Dodge may have had to downplay the 5.7L output in the R/T--I'd say that whatever Dodge rates it at is accurate. Since they haven't changed it since the 6.4L came out in 2011--so over the course of 4 model years, I'd say that's decent enough evidence that they never did underrate it to begin with.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Another school of thought is the deliberate downplaying of HP by the factory for another purpose. The salesman told me it was exempt from the gas guzzler tax and the insurance is dirt cheap on it for some reason ? I think someone like Kenne Bell knows how to properly operate a dyno so I belive their numbers. And for some reason they went out of thier way to put the add 20 HP for the 6 speed ? see the attached chart ? Seems alot of things are different on the 6 speed cars.

Attachments

#5 ·
Well, if this sheds any light, I don't think they downplayed it for insurance purposes. My SRT was $20 cheaper/month to insure than my RT was. And the gas guzzler tax is only assessed based on fuel economy, not power. Rating the HP honestly wouldn't have impacted EPA economy ratings.

Your conclusion on Kenne Bell is the same one I came to. However, different dynos give different results. They may use one that is more favorable to the Challenger. I have always believed, however, that the 5.7 in the RT is underrated FWIW. Who knows. . . I didn't have a manual so it could legitimately be 20 HP more.

You will definitely start getting some close-minded opinions though. . . there are people that for whatever reason get their panties in a huge bunch over the "underrated horsepower" suggestion.

#20 ·
Well using that calc it would appear some R/T's are close to 410
Based souly on SRT8tech getting 2 different bone stock 2010's to run 13.2 (auto)
My 6sp ran a 13.44 (once& many 13.5s) despite the timing pull& closing flap handicap..

so based on the cars weighing 4000 empty, adding a drivers lbs would put all 3 over 400hp (with that calc)
Mine was just under 4300 with me & gas... no idea what srt8tech's cars weighed

So my vote is for underrated R/T's

#7 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies I did see the old articles about the ram and it just did not jive with me because the dyno test clearly shows it for a challenger. As for the gas guzzler the 5.7 definately is rated at a much better gas mileage one of the reasons I bought it 14 -23 vs 16 - 25. I do know from my previous GM experience the factory numbers never jived with the real dyno numbers so not sure how honest dodge was. I am going to call Kenne Bell Tommorow maybe they could shed some light. I am sorry as an engineer unless someone is not operating a dyno correctly there should not be huge differences in the dyno numbers all other factors being equal.

#8 · (Edited)
Several factors play in the dyno runs. Temps play a large role. Dyno itself, altitude etc. I don't doubt you'd see a 20+HP difference. some fellows have dyno'd their stock shelby's at 610-620RWP/torque which would be in the 700HP range stock with factory tune. Lots of factors involved, but I think they just set the baseline numbers and go with it.

#9 ·
Actually temp, altitude, barometric pressure etc. (is what I mean by all things being equal) but less so on a modern computer controlled engine. Dynos are calibrated like all measurment machines and some people just dont know how to operate them properly but someone like Kenne Bell who has been around for 40 + years probably does. Again I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they will tell me how the test was conducted. Thx again for all the replies this is a kool forum glad I joined !

#11 ·
Don't forget that even though there may be a HP gain on the manual vs. the automatic, in a drag race the automatics deliver the power more smoothly with less torque management and do so, consistently. So it's easier to attain better numbers out of the
auto, where as in the stick it takes a really great driver, to drive the car to it's potential.

Reactions: ghostrt
#12 · (Edited)
agree Brent, IMO they should have an auto class and a manual class at the strip. I don't care much, but it doesn't seem fair to essentially be racing against a guy that just needs to put his foot down, to one that needs to row the gears. Lots of time is lost shifting manually vs auto. If my car had an auto it would be in the 10's stock LOL. There is some that got 11.2's completely stock having to shift...and the stars aligning.

#13 ·
Hey concept, I totally agree about auto vs manual. Auto have an advantage and I am sure I will upset people but with an auto you pretty much just need to floor it. I drive the rt 6 speed and it takes skill to work that 5.7 to its max but it can happen. Any of you who drive a stick miss 3 rd a lot when going for it? I have done it more than once.

#15 ·
they re-engineered the clutch on the 13' and 14' model and the shifts are a LOT better than the previous model (which had issues getting into 2nd) I've only missed 2nd 1 time and it just locked me out. It didn't grind, just couldn't flat out get it in, but I was at 6K RPM when trying and I think I just let out the clutch too soon. After I pressed it back in and the RPMs were falling I still couldn't get it in until the RPM's came down to around 2K. Every other time, nice and smooth even when shifting at high RPMs. I did test drive a manual SRT before I bought the auto and the shifts felt pretty good, but I didn't romp on it at all.

#21 · (Edited)
My car has run a best of 13.34, so I guessed at the weight at 4200 pounds with me in it, and put in HP numbers in the ET calculator until I matched that ET:

And of course, I can't seem to cut and paste the results in here, but this is what I got:

Calculate 1/4 Mile ET From Horsepower

Car weight: 4200

Wheel horsepower

Flywheel horsepower 409

Horsepower:

1/4 Mile elapsed time = 13.34XXXX

I can't deny I'm happy as hell with 409!! If I guessed too light, the power is higher, but it can't be too far off. Anyway, I'm happy with something close to 400 with my simple mods.

#24 ·
Only if litos was still around ...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I was thinking the same thing.

Mine with the 6.4 cam swap put down 366 (on a mustang dyno). A Dynojet is what car manufactures use to advertise cuz they read higher than a mustang dyno, I would be around 385-395rwhp on a dynojet.

-Car weight: 4300

Wheel horsepower-366

Flywheel horsepower- coming in around 430 at the flywheel with the cam swap

Horsepower-366rwhp

1/4 Mile elapsed time = 13.24 (366rwhp)
1/4 Mile elapsed time = 13.22 (430hp flywheel)
This sounds about right to me.

#23 · (Edited)
Mine with the 6.4 cam swap put down 366 (on a mustang dyno). A Dynojet is what car manufactures use to advertise cuz they read higher than a mustang dyno, I would be around 385-395rwhp on a dynojet.

-Car weight: 4300

Wheel horsepower-366

Flywheel horsepower- coming in around 430 at the flywheel with the cam swap

Horsepower-366rwhp

1/4 Mile elapsed time = 13.24 (366rwhp)
1/4 Mile elapsed time = 13.22 (430hp flywheel)

Reactions: TheQ!
#25 ·
The SRT engineers said production variances could result in a 2% difference in power levels between cars FWIW.

I used to put my best run in my old 300C SRT8 of 12.54@112 (on street tires) into a horsepower calculator just for fun and smile at the results, but I knew it wasn't true. :)

#26 ·
Here is my Build:

Make: Dodge
Model: Challenger R/T (Shaker Edition)
Year:2014
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: Manual 6-Speed

Modifications:
- Modern Muscle 87mm Throttle Body
- Heartthrob 3” Cat Back Exhaust
- Kooks Long Tube Headers & High Flow Cats
- Custom tune (Modified Diablo 93 Octane Tune)

Here are the Dyno results as the modifications were made:

Modification/HP/Peak HP RPM/Torque/AFR
*Stock - Baseline/334.9/5300/368.8/12.87
**CAI/340.7/5200/372.7/12.38
87MM TB/342.3/5250/377.0/12.81
Cat Back/344.5/5250/381.9/12.34
LT Headers and HF Cats/354.5/5400/376.1/12.81
Diablo 93 Octane Tune/364.3/5300/382.7/12.76
Custom Tune/366.0/5350/388.8/13.00

* - OEM R/T Air Box and Air Filter (The car came from the factory with the Shaker intake system. I put a stock R/T Air Box and Air Filter on the vehicle to get a baseline Dyno with it configured the same as a stock R/T without the Shaker intake system.)
** - OEM Shaker Intake System

#28 ·
Woohoo! My bolt-on R/T has 501.43 HP! :) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.