Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Regarding a 180 deg. thermostat...

13K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Theunit760 
#1 ·
I want to do the 180 T-stat install on my 2011 M6 SRT8...

Is there any particular brand of 180 deg. thermostat that is preferred?
Any I should avoid? If so why.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

#2 · (Edited)
Jet seems to be the most popular thermostat we put in these cars. Had one in my 5.7 and now in my 6.4 with 0 issues. You'll see consistent 185 to 186 degrees when on the highway. If you have a tuner you can adjust the fan settings so it stays cool at idle for extended periods of time aka the drag strip to help with heat soak.

#3 ·
I agree, I use Jet in all my Hemis, and have since my first one in 09. Never a problem, and all settle in right at 185.

#4 ·
Will a 180 therm cause any issues with the computer system??
I remember reading something has to be reset or adjusted if you run a 180, just can't remember what??
Also any issues with passing smog not running as hot? They burn cleaner when they run hotter.
My Challenger runs between 205 to about 218 or so.

Reactions: Sith R/T
#5 ·
No issues with the computer system and no codes of any kind. No issues with smog tests or anything like that. Just swap it in and go.

#7 ·
usually 190-ish for medium and 192 or 194 for high. this is typically the settings most people use around that range anyway. Can't remember if there is a setting for low but if so you can set it to like 188 or something like that and it'll be just fine.

#8 ·
Mishimoto. Little more coin but have read nothing but great things about them and mine has dropped my running temps considerably and consistently. I threw a code P0128 from the lowered t-stat, so i just had my tuner adjust the fan settings when he tweaked my tune after cat delete mids install. No code since.

#9 ·
What would/is the down side to not adjusting the fans ? I am putting together a bunch of stuff to do when the weather gets warmer and would like to do this mod also.

#14 ·
Does anyone know if the Jet thermostat comes with a new gasket included, doesn't say on their website ?

#17 ·
I noticed that it doesn't seem the norm to drill them. I've always like a drilled stat with the hole at 12 o'clock in order to help burp out any air. Is that not typically done for some reason on the Hemi?

#22 ·
I know I'm an ignorant, but I'm gonna ask anyway - the stock stat is 195 degrees, yes? If Dodge designed the engine to run optimally at 195 degrees, then what positive difference is switching to 180 degrees making? I know, I know, the same argument can be made for dino oil from the factory vs. the Mobil 1 I just put in, stock airbox vs. the Mopar CAI on my engine, and any other "performance" upgrades, but I'm asking anyway.

I think the previous owner did this to my car because it takes twice as long to blow hot air into the cabin with the heat on full blast than the SXT ever took, and I'm in the "moderate Midwest climate" of Indiana, so it's not like he was fighting the Florida swamps or Arizona deserts in this beast... so what difference is that lower 15 degrees making?

Thanks in advance...

#23 ·
The stock tstat is 203, and it will run in the 215-220 range during the summer, especially when you use the a/c, then it's 225+. You definitely feel the heat soak then.

Reactions: Sith R/T
#24 · (Edited)
The stock stat is a 203. The only reason the have these cars running hot is because of emissions.
BTW, just because you have a 180* stat, doesn't mean your tempts are gonna be at 180*.
Running cooler temps helps the pcm not to pull timing. Remember for every one degree of ST KR equals to about 5-7 hp loss.
Even on a stock engine with just a 170 or 180 stat, there is hp to be gained across the rpms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
so you do not have to purge the air out as long as it has the vent hole @12 o-clock? it takes care of it itself?

#28 ·
There is no downside to this mod, even without a tuner.

#29 · (Edited)
Might be in California, as the car ages it might not pass smog if it's not burning hot enough.

Hottest I've seen mine run was 220 "once".
It usually runs between 205-215 and that's not that hot at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.