Reliability? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Reliability?

Haven't been able to get the Challenger off my mind lately. Financial constraints won't allow for purchasing a new one, but pre-owned is feasible (a difference of $10k or so for the model years I'm browsing). I've been doing a ton of research but FCA reliability concerns prevent me from pulling the trigger on getting one. Is CPO the only way to go? I'm also seeing some that are still under factory warranty that are available, but these warranties are obviously shorter due to the mileage already logged. Am I being paranoid and overthinking things? I'm looking at 2015+ RT Scat Packs. Any reliability issues I need to be aware of?

Also, if you have any recommendations for websites for finding pre-owned vehicles, that'd be great. I have been browsing Carfax, Carmax, Cars, Cargurus, TrueCar, and Vroom, but more options are always welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by testingthis View Post
Haven't been able to get the Challenger off my mind lately. Financial constraints won't allow for purchasing a new one, but pre-owned is feasible (a difference of $10k or so for the model years I'm browsing). I've been doing a ton of research but FCA reliability concerns prevent me from pulling the trigger on getting one. Is CPO the only way to go? I'm also seeing some that are still under factory warranty that are available, but these warranties are obviously shorter due to the mileage already logged. Am I being paranoid and overthinking things? I'm looking at 2015+ RT Scat Packs. Any reliability issues I need to be aware of?

Also, if you have any recommendations for websites for finding pre-owned vehicles, that'd be great. I have been browsing Carfax, Carmax, Cars, Cargurus, TrueCar, and Vroom, but more options are always welcome.
Reliability is a big problem with these cars. I bought mine new and had it in the shop, covered for warranty work, at least a dozen times. I absolutely LOVE my car, she is beautiful and fun to drive, but was a pain until I got those kinks worked out. No longer under warranty, so finally about to do some big upgrades I was holding off on. I'm in a better financial position, so planning on just replacing whatever else breaks with a non OEM part if possible.

Of course you'll get some people that had no issues, but the number of issues per 1000 cars is publicly available, and it doesn't look good for Dodge.

I plan on keeping my car until I'm dead, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't (and my wife won't) own another Dodge. I'm putting heavy upgrades into my RT instead of buying an SRT because I don't want to go thru the hassle again.

She sure looks good though...

2011 Dodge Challenger R/TC:
Six speed
Sunroof
STP
Performance:
Hurst Short-Throw w/70's mod
Legmaker Hammer CAI
Zoomer's Cat-BacK
StopTech Cryogenic Rotors and Hawk Ceramics
Audio/Visual:
Kenwood 890HD
JBL MS-8 processor
JL C5-650 components
JL XD 200/2
Infinity Reference 12" 1250w subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate prime mono 500
Boyo License plate backup camera VTL 375HD
Appearance:
BT Catch can w/braided hoses
20% Tint
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrychrist For This Useful Post:
testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM

It's no better or worse than any car. You gotta realize that anything you read on a forum is but a small percentage of the millions of cars on the road.

Every forum you go on, regardless of the vehicle, is filled with horror stories.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marshal30mm For This Useful Post:
c26bt34c (03-21-2017), Donniet53 (03-21-2017), testingthis (03-20-2017), wasp392 (03-20-2017)

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
My 2015 RT Shaker is now at 24 800 miles. 50/50 highway and city road. Also I like to drift around, burn some rubber and doing WOT run, I'm at my 4th set of rear tire.

So far, I only got a issue with the volume knob but it was still working with the one behind the steering. No other issue, car is running smooth and still got awesome performance out of it. I would say that this is the most reliable car I ever got.

2015 TorRed RT Shaker A8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nothing For This Useful Post:
SpeedShift (03-21-2017), testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Garage
Have had my 15 R/T since Dec of 2015 no issues to report like everyone else will tell you every car brand has issues it's how those issues are handled that makes or breaks a car brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy59 For This Useful Post:
testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal30mm View Post
It's no better or worse than any car. You gotta realize that anything you read on a forum is but a small percentage of the millions of cars on the road.

Every forum you go on, regardless of the vehicle, is filled with horror stories.
It is true that you'll see horror stories on forums. But to say it's no better or worse is incorrect. They're lucky people out there, but the problems per capita is way above most other cars. Fiat at the very bottom of the list, but Chrysler and Jeep are pretty far down there as well.

I think my issues have been average, so I'm luckier than some, but make no mistake, the odds are not in your favor.

All this being said, I 100% would buy this car again (but not another one, heh), it is truly my dream car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerrychrist For This Useful Post:
Donniet53 (03-21-2017), testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrychrist View Post
Reliability is a big problem with these cars. I bought mine new and had it in the shop, covered for warranty work, at least a dozen times. I absolutely LOVE my car, she is beautiful and fun to drive, but was a pain until I got those kinks worked out.

Of course you'll get some people that had no issues, but the number of issues per 1000 cars is publicly available, and it doesn't look good for Dodge.

She sure looks good though...
No disagreement on the looks, that's for sure.

My biggest fear is having the vehicle in the shop more often than on the road. I've also read that overall fit and finish has improved by leaps and bounds since the vehicle was first introduced but their quality control seems to be lacking at times.

Really appreciate the input!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM

'15 SRT here. Not one problem with 10K miles of spirited driving. Have also logged some track and strip time on it.

Last edited by MiHiHemi; 03-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiHiHemi For This Useful Post:
SpeedShift (03-21-2017), testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:52 PM

Double post....

Last edited by hunttriumph1500; 03-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hunttriumph1500 For This Useful Post:
testingthis (03-20-2017)
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM

I have owned 9 Challengers from the very first one in 2008 to a now, new 2017. I have had almost zero issues! In fact I can't remember the last time I had an issue? The only thing that comes to mind has been the cracking rocker panels from the 2008-2014 models and that was a very minor cosmetic thing. My Challengers have been very reliable, better than some of the other 43 cars I have owned in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to hunttriumph1500 For This Useful Post:
Donniet53 (03-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode