Review: 2012 392 vs 2013 R/T Classic - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, forgot to mention, the Sport mode did make a difference. I started flogging the car a bit in normal mode, and body roll felt similar to my 2010. Once I hit the SPORT mode on, I could tell there was a noticeable improvement as the whole car tightened up much like my old Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo used to do when switched to SPORT mode...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by fastfish420 View Post
Very good write up..as I am a tech for Dodge and have driven them all plus I own a 2010 SRT.Its really hard to justify trading a 2010 SRT for a 2012 or 13,there is some nice refinements but not enough to take a huge hit trading it in.You can do some small mods to the 6.1 to make it run almost as strong as a 392 aka exhaust,tuner,180 stat,and CAI will help it a ton plus you DY is rare and you do not see alot of them running the streets.

FYI working for Dodge for 18 years we have 392 sitting on the lots for months and months since they came out in 2011.in 2010 we could not keep SRT on the lots there were people buying them right off the transporters.We have a Yellow Jacket on the lot right now that we have had since March and I dont think the door has been cracked in months..
You are correct. I think if I were looking at Challengers now, I would buy the 392 since they are not much more than a loaded R/T Classic, but I really liked that Classic a lot surprisingly. BTW Jazz Blue is VERY similar to Blackberry in person, but is less black and more blue if that makes sense... If I really wanted a newer color like PCP or H/O, I'd be better off going to a non loaded R/T Classic for barely more than my used 2010 since the new ones are almost on par with my car in a lot of ways. That would be the financial way to go if I had to have a new one... I think I will decide in the next year or so what I am doing.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM

I think I'd be the first person in Challengertalk history to go from a Classic to SRT and back to a Classic. I don't think it will happen, but I have not written off the possibility just like I have not written off the possibility of dare I say an automatic transmission...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM

The problem is I like them all for different reasons, so it makes it difficult to choose. I suppose in a few years, I could own both if I really wanted. R/T Classic for daily use and SRT for weekend use. I need more garage space. I would not have the heart to leave a Challenger outside year round... My favorite Challengers of all time remain the 2010 H/O and B5 Blue Classic with black side stripes. I just wish they drove as well as the new ones..

Last edited by StealthChallenger; 11-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:43 PM

I feel your pain. Have an '11 Classic Track model with low miles, ride the train daily, and am ready to move up in power. I love my manual trans, it's actually therapy for any bad days, so I'm hesitant to an auto, but found a Tennessee Orange used '12 392 at a damn good price, so I don't know what to do. I can put mover $10K to current mods and void my lifetime warranty, or spend the same amount on a used 392...damn, at least this is a good issue to have .
Mopar Mud Flaps
Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah, I am the opposite of you. I actually have to drive 15 min each way to work every day not to mention errands. I bet I only drive about 10K a year split between the Challenger and my winter/work car. I am looking at downsizing into a 2012 R/T Classic for daily running and selling the winter/work car. I only drive my SRT 7 months out of the year, and my wife cannot drive it either due to the 6 speed. It is more of a toy, which I have come to realize is kind of waste on a new car since they depreciate so fast, even when you don't drive them. I just find the SRT with stick tiresome for daily running, so that is why I'm looking at a switch maybe. I know in a few years used 6.2 SC won't be 65K, so I can buy a toy then and keep the R/T as the daily.

Last edited by StealthChallenger; 12-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

If you don't ever drive to the limits of your car, you might as well get an R/T, but if you push your cars to their limit and sometimes beyond, you must get an SRT, period.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by gasgonewild View Post
If you don't ever drive to the limits of your car, you might as well get an R/T, but if you push your cars to their limit and sometimes beyond, you must get an SRT, period.
I agree with this. I can really only notice a difference between my 2010 SRT vs the new R/T when I really push the car. For normal street driving, not much of a difference really. The 392 has a good bit of difference even in street driving but would be overkill IMO to use in Chicago on a daily basis. As a toy, absolutely. Or as a daily in a fair weather state...
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM

R/T Classic = Best looking and most retro
392 = Meanest and most aggressive looking

Depends on what you're looking for in terms of styling, performance, and price. As long as you don't go crazy with options, the R/T can be the best bang for most people's buck. Once you start getting NAV, the stereo, sunroof, etc. the 392 is the better deal.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Photos: (3)
You could always add the R/T classic stripes, add the classic badge, and paint the spoiler on an SRT, and you'd have the looks of an R/T Classic with the power of the bigger engine. Get an auto, and it could be your daily driver.
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.