Review: 2012 392 vs 2013 R/T Classic - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
You could always add the R/T classic stripes, add the classic badge, and paint the spoiler on an SRT, and you'd have the looks of an R/T Classic with the power of the bigger engine. Get an auto, and it could be your daily driver.
That is true. Cannot get the wheels though since they won't clear the Brembos, not to mention the 6.1L with the auto gets CRAP mileage. lol The 392 gets the same mileage as my stick 6.1L with the auto, which is okay. The R/T with auto is the most efficient way to get good mileage and V-8 power albeit less performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by fastfish420 View Post
Very good write up..as I am a tech for Dodge and have driven them all plus I own a 2010 SRT. Its really hard to justify trading a 2010 SRT for a 2012 or 13, there is some nice refinements but not enough to take a huge hit trading it in.You can do some small mods to the 6.1 to make it run almost as strong as a 392 aka exhaust,tuner,180 stat,and CAI will help it a ton
Everything you have said here is FALSE (IMO).

I traded from a 2010 SRT to a 2012 392 and it was the most worthwhile trade-up i've EVER made with ANY of my cars!

While I'll agree, taking a "huge hit" is not a good idea (depending on what your definition of "huge" is and what kind of deal you can arrange).

If you can make the switch but you're going to lose a couple grand or whatever, it's still worth it.

As far as modding the 6.1 to make it run "almost as strong" as the 392... I had a true CAI (long tube, fender drawn air) 3" cat-back, diablosport predator with 93 Octane tune, throttle boost cranked to 20, 180 tstat and while the car was improved it was still LEAGUES behind the 392 (which is why I got fed up and traded it once and for all).

I did months of research and came to the conclusion that the only thing that was going to boost performance anywhere near where I wanted it to be consisted of tearing apart the engine and either camming it, polishing and porting everything and I wasn't willing to put that kind of money into it or tear a motor apart with warranty.

Even if I had spent the money to upgrade, I still would miss the keyless door handles/trunk, the new steering wheel, the redesigned cluster, the updated myGIG, the changes to how the seats fold forward, the WPA sexy-time wheels and my love affair with Header Orange.

Like I said, most worth-while thing i've ever done and you couldn't pay me to go back to a 6.1L.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying 6.1L's are BAD so don't take offence.

2012 Dodge Challenger 392 SRT-8, 6-spd, Header Orange
MODS: Zoomers 3" Cat-back Exhaust w/ X-pipe, Speedlogix Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake, Diablosport InTune, Hurst Competition Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Mopar Strut Tower Brace, Mopar/Kicker Stage III Audio, Diode Dynamics LED Footwell Kit, 20% Tint
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironside For This Useful Post:
HEMIZSP (12-22-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 AM

I agree with Ironside. IT was an 11K upgrade for me to got from my R/T to my 2010 SRT. Had I bought the SRT when I bought the R/T, it would have been 7-8K more so I essentially lost 3-4K on my R/T trading it in after four months, which is a good amount. IT would be a 12-13K upgrade to get a 392 with no options right now but close to an even swap for a new R/T Classic. I think the improvements made to the 2011+ models is worth swapping for personally, but whose to say 2014 won't be even better... IT really never ends. I think the car is perfect as is, and I am afraid of what 2014 will bring. An interior upgrade would be nice, but I hope they don't alter the styling much.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:10 AM

I tell you what, if they can incorporate an auto-stop feature on a 392, using the new 8 speed auto gearboxes, I'd be all over an SRT. If combined mpg could be improved by even 2 mpg on average, bye-bye gas guzzler tax. A delete option for the leather seats, sound system, and/or navigation system/electronics package could offer a nice discount to put the base price under 45K.

One can dream...

Last edited by Justinivor; 12-23-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM

If one was to buy a challenger today for a daily driver(roughly 5-7k kms a year) 12 months of the year including Canadian winters what model would you guys advise. I am not interested in a winter beater and it won't bother me if this car gets salt all over it and some door dents from parking lots. I'm not looking for a garage queen. I like to drive my cars and enjoy them. My primary vehicle is the new dodge RAM 1500 sport when things get really bad but this will be my second family car. I think the 09-10 SRT(manual only) or a new classic is what i'm really debating on. The SXT(great car but i really want a V8) is out and the 392 while amazing just seems a little over the top for a daily driver.

Last edited by Snail; 12-24-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Snail View Post
If one was to buy a challenger today for a daily driver(roughly 5-7k kms a year) 12 months of the year including Canadian winters what model would you guys advise. I am not interested in a winter beater and it won't bother me if this car gets salt all over it and some door dents from parking lots. I'm not looking for a garage queen. I like to drive my cars and enjoy them. My primary vehicle is the new dodge RAM 1500 sport when things get really bad but this will be my second family car. I think the 09-10 SRT(manual only) or a new classic is what i'm really debating on. The SXT(great car but i really want a V8) is out and the 392 while amazing just seems a little over the top for a daily driver.
You are correct in all your statements. The 392 is awesome, but it rides very hard and is a beast, so if you are looking for more comfort and something you can take out year round and not worry was much, the new R/T Classic is the way to go but the 2012 and up model only with Super Track Pack option (you'll have to change the summer tires out, but the STP option is worth it for handling). Plus, the R/T Classic looks so wonderfully retro. A lightly used 09-10 6.1L SRT can be had for a what a new R/T Classic costs, but will not have the new car warranty. The 6.1L gets terrible mileage with the auto 13-19, and the stick is 14-22 on premium. The Classic is 15-24 with stick (mid grade or premium), and 16-25 with auto with recommended mid grade but can be run on regular too (auto only). The 6.1L vs the new Classic is a negligible difference in body roll, chassis tightness, braking, and top end acceleration. For street driving, I prefer the less peaky and more linear power delivery of the 5.7, which behaves more similar to the torque monster 392 but down 100hp. You have to rev the 6.1L above 4500-5000 to get your money's worth as that is where it truly hits its stride. The new Classic runs 0-60 in 5 sec, whereas the best stock magazine time for a 6.1L was 4.7-4.8 with auto. The SRT has better seats (lateral support, comfort), but not as good looking seats as the Classic. PLus, the suspension upgrades of the 2012s (more negative camber, reworked ratios, Sport mode etc.) means the new R/T has better feedback and reacts to inputs much quicker than my 6.1L. IT all depends on what you're after. Personally for daily driving with winters included, get the Classic. Better looks, cheaper to run (Brembos are expensive), and cheaper to buy than SRT. If you want a toy, get the 392 and forget a 6.1L as the 392's extra cost is worth it, BUT the upcoming 6.2SC will trounce them all. LOL FYI, I am on the brink of maybe trading my 6.1L in on a new a Classic and going back to my first love which was a 2010 R/T Classic that I owned briefly. The new Classic addresses all the complaints I had about the 09-10 R/Ts. The only reason I am considering the move downward is to get rid of a third car, and use the Challenger as a daily with winters and everything else included. Plus, I'll be going auto this time as my wife can drive it, and it is faster than I can drive my 6 speed 6.1L LOL

Last edited by StealthChallenger; 12-25-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by StealthChallenger View Post
I think I'd be the first person in Challengertalk history to go from a Classic to SRT and back to a Classic. I don't think it will happen, but I have not written off the possibility just like I have not written off the possibility of dare I say an automatic transmission...
Stealth Challenger - I went to the dealership this summer to look at the '11 SRT8(Bright silver/black) and ' 12 R/T Classic (black/black). Money had nothing to do with my decision - nor track times. I left with the R/T Classic, for normal driving*(Not everyday driving) in Minnesota, where the challenger doesnt see snowy days. THe difference in test drive I found to be at around 85+ (shhhh). I was very pleased with the RT Classic's acceleration and track control handling option, even compared to the 392. I didnt find the extra 13K to be worth the extra speed I see once or twice a week, and I dont go to the track.

I suppose if I did go to the track, or live in a more southern state, I might have invested in the 392- goes to prove that each Machine's owner needs/wants it to do different things.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Everything you have said here is FALSE (IMO).

I traded from a 2010 SRT to a 2012 392 and it was the most worthwhile trade-up i've EVER made with ANY of my cars!

While I'll agree, taking a "huge hit" is not a good idea (depending on what your definition of "huge" is and what kind of deal you can arrange).

If you can make the switch but you're going to lose a couple grand or whatever, it's still worth it.

As far as modding the 6.1 to make it run "almost as strong" as the 392... I had a true CAI (long tube, fender drawn air) 3" cat-back, diablosport predator with 93 Octane tune, throttle boost cranked to 20, 180 tstat and while the car was improved it was still LEAGUES behind the 392 (which is why I got fed up and traded it once and for all).

I did months of research and came to the conclusion that the only thing that was going to boost performance anywhere near where I wanted it to be consisted of tearing apart the engine and either camming it, polishing and porting everything and I wasn't willing to put that kind of money into it or tear a motor apart with warranty.

Even if I had spent the money to upgrade, I still would miss the keyless door handles/trunk, the new steering wheel, the redesigned cluster, the updated myGIG, the changes to how the seats fold forward, the WPA sexy-time wheels and my love affair with Header Orange.

Like I said, most worth-while thing i've ever done and you couldn't pay me to go back to a 6.1L.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying 6.1L's are BAD so don't take offence.
sorry ironside but everything you said here is false. I am not sure about you but everybody i know the reason why they buy these cars is to mod them and enjoy them and make them faster. Now stock the 392 comes with i think 470hp or 465. the 6.1l comes with 425hp a 45 hp difference. Thants not that much of a difference . however if i was looking for a car i would get a used 2009 to 2011 with low mile could probably get it for well below 30 k throw a supercharger on it for 6000 dollars and maybe an additional 1200 dollars to install the car will come with an entirely different tune upgraded fuel pump fuel rails cooler plugs blah blah blah and you will have a 600hp plus beast for much less than a 392. i have a 09 challenger srt 8 six speed with pro charger running 7lbs of boost and all this crap people are saying about the 6.1 goes out of the window man i totally destroy those 392 at the track and on the street and i would never trade up to one. my point is for much less you can get a used 6.1 supercharge and be done with it and destroy any 392. as for the new rt i honestly feel like they don't deserve be mentioned in the same sentence as a 6.1 regardless of it is blown or not. i just laugh all the time when people buy the rt and then try to compare them to the srt and down talk the srt and list all the reasons why a rt can keep up with and get this may be even better than a srt. Come on guys there is a reason why the rt costs less and its not because its christmas time. lol. Get this i had a guy tell me the other day at a car show that his v6 challenger was the only one that came stock with a real dual exhaust from the factory. then he said he was going to put twin turbos on his v6 and run enough boost to destroy my challenger. ? ok but hopefully you don't destroy your engine first. My point is yes the 392 is somewhat improved compared to the 6.1 but is that what always happen year after year as they improve on cars. Is this going to make me go out and trade in my supercharged challenger 6.1 and get a 392 and then be stuck with a stock motor without a blower. i think not i would be suicidal. in conclusion with some minor adjustments and a blower the 6.1 can still be had for thousands under a 392 and you will basically have a car that runs like a super car

Last edited by vinny32; 12-25-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by vinny32 View Post
sorry ironside but everything you said here is false. I am not sure about you but everybody i know the reason why they buy these cars is to mod them and enjoy them and make them faster. Now stock the 392 comes with i think 470hp or 465. the 6.1l comes with 425hp a 45 hp difference. Thants not that much of a difference . however if i was looking for a car i would get a used 2009 to 2011 with low mile could probably get it for well below 30 k throw a supercharger on it for 6000 dollars and maybe an additional 1200 dollars to install the car will come with an entirely different tune upgraded fuel pump fuel rails cooler plugs blah blah blah and you will have a 600hp plus beast for much less than a 392. i have a 09 challenger srt 8 six speed with pro charger running 7lbs of boost and all this crap people are saying about the 6.1 goes out of the window man i totally destroy those 392 at the track and on the street and i would never trade up to one. my point is for much less you can get a used 6.1 supercharge and be done with it and destroy any 392. as for the new rt i honestly feel like they don't deserve be mentioned in the same sentence as a 6.1 regardless of it is blown or not. i just laugh all the time when people buy the rt and then try to compare them to the srt and down talk the srt and list all the reasons why a rt can keep up with and get this may be even better than a srt. Come on guys there is a reason why the rt costs less and its not because its christmas time. lol. Get this i had a guy tell me the other day at a car show that his v6 challenger was the only one that came stock with a real dual exhaust from the factory. then he said he was going to put twin turbos on his v6 and run enough boost to destroy my challenger. ? ok but hopefully you don't destroy your engine first. My point is yes the 392 is somewhat improved compared to the 6.1 but is that what always happen year after year as they improve on cars. Is this going to make me go out and trade in my supercharged challenger 6.1 and get a 392 and then be stuck with a stock motor without a blower. i think not i would be suicidal. in conclusion with some minor adjustments and a blower the 6.1 can still be had for thousands under a 392 and you will basically have a car that runs like a super car
In a straight line, maybe your blown 6.1 will run with a 392. But the 392 has a refined suspension for 2011 which really tightens up handling and for 2012, the adaptive suspension is even better. Not to mention the cabin refinements of the 392 like the steering wheel.

Sure, you can spend some money and make your older 6.1 run with a 392 or better, but the 392 is still the challenger to buy of you can afford it today. And don't forget blown 392s now that tuning is available.
Shipped: 1/23/2013
Delivered: 2/14/2013
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 AM

I also drove the 10 SRT and the 12 RT. The new 12 RT was way ahead of the 10 SRT in everything but top end power. The low end power (stop light to stop light) was just as strong on the RT and the car is just much more refined in the interior. Two different road feels but I chose the RT for the ride comfort. Love my 12 RT. I did drive a 392. AWESOME POWER! If I had the money I would buy a 392, but for me to get into a new RT with auto, anti spin and sunroof, for 27,600, this was the right choice for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.