Review: 2012 392 vs 2013 R/T Classic - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf908 View Post
In a straight line, maybe your blown 6.1 will run with a 392. But the 392 has a refined suspension for 2011 which really tightens up handling and for 2012, the adaptive suspension is even better. Not to mention the cabin refinements of the 392 like the steering wheel.

Sure, you can spend some money and make your older 6.1 run with a 392 or better, but the 392 is still the challenger to buy of you can afford it today. And don't forget blown 392s now that tuning is available.
lol obviously you have never driven a blown 6.1l ...run with a 392 are you a serious there is a big difference between 622hp and 470hp and it shows every time i go head to head with a 392 my car has never ran with any 392 it surpasses them every time and with ease. last week i was crusing down 90 and a little further down the street i saw a beautiful green 392 hauling ass just weaving in and out and passing everybody. Well howdy do i wanted to join in the fun also so i chased it down and caught up to it we were both doing about 50mph and were neck and neck we looked at each other then gunned them well the rest is history the funny thing was that i let him catch up but he did not want to race anymore . a stock 392 is inferior in everyway that counts imo to a blown 6.1l in my opinion now a blown 392 i will bow down but i am still waiting to meet up with one...steering wheel big deal ...hey if you want to go spend a extra 13 to 15k on 45hp be my guest but in general from the outside i don't see any difference in the appearance on the new 392 and the 2009 ..yeah they came out with a couple more colors and a 392 emblem still does not justify to me as for njrt comment i will just say this it is a 27600 dollar car and it is a rt . but if it floats your boat he go for it man...... i am actually starting to believe that some people on this site are just making comments about the srt just to get a rise out of people and irritate some. because some of the comments just don't make sense to me compared to my real life experience out there on the track and street

Last edited by vinny32; 12-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny32 View Post
lol obviously you have never driven a blown 6.1l ...run with a 392 are you a serious there is a big difference between 622hp and 470hp and it shows every time i go head to head with a 392 my car has never ran with any 392 it surpasses them every time and with ease. last week i was crusing down 90 and a little further down the street i saw a beautiful green 392 hauling ass just weaving in and out and passing everybody. Well howdy do i wanted to join in the fun also so i chased it down and caught up to it we were both doing about 50mph and were neck and neck we looked at each other then gunned them well the rest is history the funny thing was that i let him catch up but he did not want to race anymore . a stock 392 is inferior in everyway that counts imo to a blown 6.1l in my opinion now a blown 392 i will bow down but i am still waiting to meet up with one...steering wheel big deal ...hey if you want to go spend a extra 13 to 15k on 45hp be my guest but in general from the outside i don't see any difference in the appearance on the new 392 and the 2009 ..yeah they came out with a couple more colors and a 392 emblem still does not justify to me as for njrt comment i will just say this it is a 27600 dollar car and it is a rt . but if it floats your boat he go for it man...... i am actually starting to believe that some people on this site are just making comments about the srt just to get a rise out of people and irritate some. because some of the comments just don't make sense to me compared to my real life experience out there on the track and street
One thing you can't deny about the challenger owners is the passion for there cars. I admit i would like to see a blown 6.1 vs a stock 392 at the track just for comparison sake.
#33 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
How many lbs of boost are you running to get 622rwhp? And is it cetri charged or a roots/twin screw? You're also talking about running a 392 from a roll instead of a dig. Where the 392 outshines the 6.1 is low-rpm torque.

Not saying your car wouldn't beat a stock 392 by any stretch. I just don't understand why the comparison is being made in this thread.

2013 Jazz Blue SRT 6M w/ Silver Stripes - Barton Short Throw, Blastin' Bobs Resonator Delete, BT Catch Can, Piping, Xpel Ultimate PPF, Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic Tint
Ordered: 12/08/2012
Submitted: 12/10/2012
Shipped: 1/23/2013
Delivered: 2/14/2013
#34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
How many lbs of boost are you running to get 622rwhp? And is it cetri charged or a roots/twin screw? You're also talking about running a 392 from a roll instead of a dig. Where the 392 outshines the 6.1 is low-rpm torque.

Not saying your car wouldn't beat a stock 392 by any stretch. I just don't understand why the comparison is being made in this thread.
first of it is not rwhp it is at the flywheel but that is where the 470hp of the 392 is. we are comparing apples to apples here i can tell you my rwhp but then we would have to also drop the numbers for the 392 if we are talking rwhp then mine is at 525hp on 7lbs of boost and it is a pro charger. but then the 392 would probably drop to maybe 380 to 410 rwhp depending on on the weather outside. as where the race begins roll or dig it does not matter my car gets out of the hole hard with the pro charger tune. let me say this i cannot run anything less than 305 on my car now or it becomes way to much to handle. the nittos 305 give me allot better traction for daily driving and i think in general when people are looking at how fast there cars are and there numbers i suggest they also look at the tires they are running because if you own a challenger and you can run 255 on the back comfortably then i say your car is really not as fast as one would thing. 255 tires only have one place on my car now and thats on the front tire. even 275 is a waist of time on my car. To be honest though personally when i bought my car a few years ago stock it was in the winter so it drove ok. But when the summer came i was almost ready to sell it to be quite frank it was a boring car and had horrible acceleration it felt like i was pulling a train under acceleration lol. the truth is that these cars are just to heavy to not come with blowers however it was such a beautiful car i looked into blowing it and took the plunge. honestly it is like two different cars it drives nothing like it drove before. if it was stock i would agree with many of the 392 comparisons but i just cannot see 45hp making that much of a big difference

Last edited by vinny32; 12-25-2012 at 12:50 PM.
#35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Quote:

Well you both have good points. I agree with kidwolf908 on, why the comparison on this thread. I think Stealth Challenger made the point that he is making the comparisons he made for, quote EVERYDAY DRIVING unquote.

But with that being said Vinny is justifiably right about a blown 6.1 vs a 392. I personally witnessed a blown 6.1 destroy a 392 at the track this past summer. BTW, the blown SRT was a DY 6.1 just like the OP's car vs a stock 392 with stock wheels and tires. He also destroyed me in my mildly modded RT. I raced him because he was one of the few challengers we see at our local track........

Suffice it to say that Vinny is not exactly talking an apples to apples comparison and has taken the discussion from street driving/daily driver/stock options, to track driving. He's got very valid points IF your looking to upgrade from every day driver to building a serious track car. So If youre thinking you might go that route eventually, it IS something to consider.................
BTW Vinny, do you have a roll bar in your 6.1L?

#36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM

Blown/turbo'd cars have an extra advantage here at elevation, not that it would have made much of a difference in this case. The "lowly" 6.1 doesn't seem to get too much respect around here LOL

Chris, hope your holidays go well...let's go to the track next year!

What time did the 392 run here? Do you remember?

'12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete, all options
-AFR functional SHAKER hood, Hurst/Mopar short throw pistol grip W/Larry's mod, Corsa Extreme, Jet 180 t-stat, HEMI FEVER tune, BT catch can, ceramic tint/clear bra/C-Quartz...you know, some other crap too
13.56@104.38 stock tune/tires DA 7170 - that's 12.33@114.45 corrected!!!
#37 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Blown/turbo'd cars have an extra advantage here at elevation, not that it would have made much of a difference in this case. The "lowly" 6.1 doesn't seem to get too much respect around here LOL

High 12's, the 6.1 with the kenne bell was running low 12's and high 11's. Folks, we're talking about 5000 ft elevation with a 7000 + DA......so those are decent numbers for our location.

Actually that 6.1 with good wheels and tires and especially if its tuned and/or major performance mods is one helluva track car. Vinny is right on that point. I do think with the new tuner though, its only a matter of time before the 392's come into their own at the track.

Yes lets definately go to the track.................................

#38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM

I would say that is real good, must have been an automatic. Our track sits at 5300 feet, and I remember only being able to get a 13.5 with my 300 SRT, a full second slower than my best back when I lived in Ohio. I feel like I should be able to beat that with this 392 6 speed, but I have to drive it well. We'll see I guess
#39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Eric.....PM'd ya.

Sorry about highjacking the thread...........

#40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichris View Post
Well you both have good points. I agree with kidwolf908 on, why the comparison on this thread. I think Stealth Challenger made the point that he is making the comparisons he made for, quote EVERYDAY DRIVING unquote.

But with that being said Vinny is justifiably right about a blown 6.1 vs a 392. I personally witnessed a blown 6.1 destroy a 392 at the track this past summer. BTW, the blown SRT was a DY 6.1 just like the OP's car vs a stock 392 with stock wheels and tires. He also destroyed me in my mildly modded RT. I raced him because he was one of the few challengers we see at our local track........

Suffice it to say that Vinny is not exactly talking an apples to apples comparison and has taken the discussion from street driving/daily driver/stock options, to track driving. He's got very valid points IF your looking to upgrade from every day driver to building a serious track car. So If youre thinking you might go that route eventually, it IS something to consider.................
BTW Vinny, do you have a roll bar in your car

lol no but i need one
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Blown/turbo'd cars have an extra advantage here at elevation, not that it would have made much of a difference in this case. The "lowly" 6.1 doesn't seem to get too much respect around here lol

no it does not but that is what makes it more sweeter for me on the track and street
Quote:
Originally Posted by vichris View Post
Eric.....PM'd ya.

Sorry about highjacking the thread...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode