Dodge Challenger Forum banner

RPM Surges when accelerating

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DESERT DWELLER 
#1 ·
Hi. Im a first time car owner with a 2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan. My problems started when I forgot to put fluids into my car. Ever since, my RPM surges up then back down when I accelerate, jerking slightly. My steering wheel is shaky/vibration. Rattling noises from underneath the car (Could be rotors but I doubt it). The drive is a little more bouncy. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I'm having multiple leaks underneath my car (not a lot). Also, I found metal debris when changing my oil filter. And after my fuel pump was fixed my gas gage stopped reading accuratly. Please help!!

#2 ·
Sorry to hear of your issues, but this is a Dodge Challenger forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with Yahooligan...this not the correct forum and this isnt an "ask a mechanic" format for everything that is symptomatic for your non-challenger vehicle. They do have those BTW. Google maybe your friend here.

But not to be a total %$# and lacking any remotely serious ability to properly diaog your cars many issues;
1. it sounds like your trans is on its way out, probably burned up the converter or similar internal components when/if you ran it out of fluid.
It maybe just down (low or out) of proper trans fluid..but I'm assuming you checked this already and its properly topped off.
2. Shaking when braking is most likely rotor warp or you have loose brake/suspension/wheel related parts.
3. Gas gauge sending unit probably internal with the pump, if the pump is a tank mounted unit (there are several types, so who knows)..most likely someone forgot to ground it properly or missed/messed up a connection if the pump unit is new and gauge was working prior to pump R&R.
4. You need to determine the fluid leaks and the source of each, cars dont run long without the applicable fluids, but can run almost forever as long as those fluids are maintained in the respectable system(s).
5. Metal in the oil is NOT good!! It indicates major engine damage has or is occurring (ie: interior components are breaking apart, rubbing/shaving metal from one another, or something has already let go and is now banging around & being busted up within the engine as it runs causing even more damage, eventually small pieces finding their way into the bottom of oil pan)
weeew!
My advice: This car has exceeded its maximum usefulness or will be there shortly. Start saving for another car, this one is going to eat your piggy bank up in no time and leave you very little in the end except the next thing to need attention, the then the next after that.
Hemi4us

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.