Dodge Challenger Forum banner

RT owners...regret not getting an SRT instead?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 187 84.2%

RT owners...do you regret not getting an SRT?

14K views 83 replies 76 participants last post by  DesertEagle 
#1 ·
Not sure if this topic has been discussed in the past...but was just wondering if any RT owners have had buyers remorse about not getting an SRT instead?

I've just started shopping around for a Challenger...and while the SRT is an awesome car I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $10k+ over the RT for me. This will be my daily driver (not a track or race car)...so while it would be cool to have 400+hp, the RT's 380hp is all I'll REALLY need. I am already planning on changing the suspension, rims and tires anyway so the SRT upgrades in these areas don't matter. The SRT seats are nicer than the RT seats. So for me the question really comes down to are a slightly nicer interior and 100 more hp really worth the extra $10K+? My initial answer is no...because I could always get aftermarket seats and add a supercharger in the future for significantly less than $10K.

Thoughts, advice and opinions are all welcome!

#4 ·
No. The 5.7 is a nice motor and with a few mods, it is capable of easy 12s.

#5 ·
Short answer - Not at all

Long answer - I don't spend time or wish to spend time at the drag strip. Also I don't like the look of the 2010 PCPs in SRT trim. I fell in love with the Classic package (stripes and wheels) on my dream color.

I'm very very happy with what I have and have no regrets of not buying an SRT.

I also don't feel that the SRT lives up to a $50K price tag. Possibly more with the options I wanted (sun roof, 6-speed -now standard and nav).

How could I complain, I spent just around $30K for my fully loaded RT Classic (not including tax) brand new - left over as it was early 1st quarter 2011

#30 ·
Short answer - Not at all

Long answer - I don't spend time or wish to spend time at the drag strip. Also I don't like the look of the 2010 PCPs in SRT trim. I fell in love with the Classic package (stripes and wheels) on my dream color.

I'm very very happy with what I have and have no regrets of not buying an SRT.

How could I complain, I spent just around $30K for my fully loaded RT Classic (not including tax) brand new - left over as it was early 1st quarter 2011
Feel exactly the same. R/T Classic wheels I like better than the SRT, and they're forged aluminum like the SRT- - Classic stripes, script Challenger emblem, all recall the '71 Challenger. The Classic is definitely the biggest bang for the buck.

Also like you, I bought my loaded Torred Classic ($39K MSRP) Jan. 3rd this year for around $30K. What a deal. I feel like I could get nearly that for it today if I needed to, but thank God I don't.

#7 ·
I started off with an RT and was happy with it, for the most part. I didn't like the fact that it didn't have the Super Track Pack or the 20" wheels. The handling suffered without the two. Went to the SRT and have been very satisfied.

#8 ·
To me, the R/T was more economically feasible. For $30k I'm getting a car with a strong V8, good fuel economy, practical, and as Rude Dog mentioned, the Classic package, which I believe is the best looking one on these cars.

Sure I'd love to have an SRT, they are well made performance cars. But, as others mentioned, just not worth the money for me. When you don't don't make a boatload of money, and have a family, getting expensive toys isn't in the cards. For some it is, but everybody has different priorities. If money wasn't in object, lets face it, I'd probably be in a new Porsche 911, not a Challenger.

Anyways happy with my car, especially with the Diablo tune, and a few other mods. It's plenty fast for me. I wouldln't want anything faster., too much of a temptation to break the law more.

#9 ·
I'm very happy with my R/T. I would like the extra power and handling of the SRT, but I didn't want to spend the difference. I have an Impala that I use as a daily driver, but I'm giving it to my son, so my Challenger will be it. The mileage for the R/T was almost as good as the SE when I bought my 2010.

If you think you might supercharge an R/T, you should know that the 2011+ cars cannot be tuned yet. A new, or used, 2010 R/T might be the ticket.

I didn't intend to do anything to my R/T when I bought it, but have since changed the exhaust, added a CAI, a catch can, and a Predator tuner. Plus, other dress up stuff.

#10 ·
Happy and fine w/the R/T. Would I like to have more? Sure! Would it be practical for how I use my car? nope.

#11 ·
For me, it's about the track. I have an R/T and I have no regrest of not getting an SRT. Granted I always will want the larger engine (insert Time the Toolman grunt). But this girl has everything I could imagine for what I want. She's not only a daily driver (24k miles in one year), but I am taking her out on the track (not drag racing) and with minor mods, she handles like a dream. The only other mods I'm looking at for her performance wise is replacing the breaks (most likely with Bear or Willwood), exhaust, throttle body, and suspension. So, yeah, to me it was not worth the additional 10k (mods will only range to ~6k).

#12 · (Edited)
Nope, no regrets, with a diablo tuner, my r/t is almost as fast or as fast as a 6.1, and my R/T is prettier than an SRT8 is. And with the black spoiler half the people would think its an srt8 anyway.

I get better mileage, nicer rims, and its just as well equipped. Doesn't have the fancy brakes but i rarely stand on brakes anyway, my stockers are sufficient. Plus, i can put regular gas in mine and drive it to work cheaper.

they didn't offer the 392 when i got mine, and if they had its possible i would have gone for the 392 instead, but after driving one, I see no reason to trade my 2010 in, mine is plenty fast for me, i don't track it, nor do i feel a need to drag race every honda that revs on me at a light. (i think only one has actually revved at me to get me to play, but he did it in rush hour traffic like a moron, so got ignored)

If i'd spent the extra 5 to 7k on the srt8, i wouldn't have been able to mod mine the way i have and continue to do so. On the average i add an extra 100 dollar or so every other month in it. I'm done on the inside now, next will be the engine bay bling items, mostly polished surfaces to make it more show worthy.

#13 ·
I am limited to a single vehicle, so no regrets on not getting an SRT. 1) SRT was not in my budget 2) extra performance is cool, but I do not even get near the limits of the R/T 3) SRT seats and wheels are very cool, but budget over rode this consideration 4) I need a spare tire - urban driving is not as relaxing with just the inflator kit in the trunk

If budget and parking were unlimited, I'd be driving a Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi and a Challenger 392 SRT in Bright White.

#16 ·
I agree, I drove both and didn't see the value either time I purchased an R/T. IMHO the classic package looks better than the SRT. I am not saying the SRT isn't better at handling, quickest ect.. because it is. it just isnt enough to sway me ...YET.

Now if this SC 392 comes about, I may see way more reasons to change my mind. but at this point I am happy.

#17 ·
I'm happy with my 2010 RT, at the time the only SRT available was the 6.1 and I couldn't justify the 10K extra for 50 horsepower. Now if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would have stepped it up a model.

With the 392 out I have been considering it as it is a 100 hp jump, but I'm hesitating due to the whole tuning issue. Also I'm starting to think a set of headers and a super charger will probably put me where I want to be performance wise and still be cheaper.

But to answer your question, I have no regrets in getting the RT. As someone else has suggested you may want to look at a leftover 2010 RT as it is tunable and you would no doubt save even more money. Good luck on your decision.

#19 ·
....personally? I have absolutely zero regrets. However, I would urge you to drive both for yourself and weigh the pros/cons of each as it relates to your needs and expectations. The current tuning restrictions on the 2011’s mentioned earlier should definitely be considered if you’re planning any mods (which it sounds like you are).

When I was shopping for a new car in early 2010, I had a hard time justifying the price of the R/T’s (equipped the way I wanted it) let alone the SRT8. It wasn’t about affordability in my case but more about value as a whole. ….. I was also considering the gamble I was taking on buying a Dodge product in regard to quality & reliability (I almost didn’t even buy one). At the time, an SRT was ~$6k+ more (including the gas guzzler tax) than the fully loaded R/T I wanted (without sunroof). The STP option also helped me change my mind (I really didn’t like the sloppy feel of the stripped R/T I first test drove).

Having said all of that, if the 2010 SRT was the same as the current 392 (at the same price), the decision between the two would certainly have been tougher for me. Just make sure to do your research and decide for yourself what you will be most happy with.

#20 ·
I dont really regret it but the SRT was crazy priced back in Nov 08 when I got my R/T. I was good until the GWE 392 was released and now I am ready to swap out. I hope to do a deal very soon.

#21 ·
No regrets. Like others, I think the Classic is the best looking of them all. I got my CAI and cat-back free with Mopar bucks and with the Predator, I can hit under 5 second zero to 60. Fast enough for me. I've got fully loaded with everything... pedals, sill guards, nav, sunroof, STP... And I still get ~18 mpg in the city and can rotate my tires.

#23 · (Edited)
I was happy at first with my 2010 R/T Classic, and the more I drove the car the more I appreciated it for what it was and was not. I loved its looks but thought it needed to be lowered to really look good. - looked like it was on stilts. I also hated the seats and could never get comfortable in them - kept sliding around. I also thought the braking and handling were lacking a bit, and I had the Super Track Pack option. I ended up trading it for a 2010 Detonator Yellow SRT-8. I am much happier with the driving experience now. If I could have pulled off spending the extra money, I'd have gotten the 392 - better car still. Had I waited and not bought the R/T first, I could have done just that. However, with the money lost on the R/T and the prices of the 392s then, I could not justify it. Plus, 2010 has better colors. Get the SRT if you can swing it. If you regret it, it will end up costing you more anyway you trade your R/T in for one. Drive them both, and you will know. I got my leftover 2010 SRT for less than my R/T stickered at, so there is always that option too.

#24 ·
I love my R/T! The SRT is cool but 14K more to me it wasn't worth it.
Plus you factor in the Gas Guzzler Tax and the requirement to put Premium gas in it, it's a lot more money (I still put 91 in my car anyway). Plus I didn't want leather and Navi.

If I wanted to collect one and put in my garage and hide it for 15 years I would have bought an SRT fully loaded. I wanted a daily driver, something I could have fun with, enjoy and something I could afford.

Love the R/T! No regrets!

#26 ·
No. That don't mean that I won't own an SRT8 in addition to my R/T someday though.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.