Dodge Challenger Forum banner

RT vs Scat/SRT

28K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  c26bt34c 
#1 ·
I've had my beautiful 15 RT m6 for 9 months now and I love it! Unfortunately the bug has hit and I am now wanting more power.

I flirted with the idea of supercharger and supporting mods but I'm not 100 percent sure.

My question is this, for those of you that have driven both how much more powerful is the 392 vs the 5.7. Is the difference quite noticeable or am I better off just supercharging the rt?

I know I'll probably take a bath on the RT but I think the bath will be less than the price of supercharging/ modifying the RT.

Thanks!

#46 ·
I went from a 12 SRT8, to a 13 Boss 302, to a 14 R/T and now a 15 Scat Pack. I can say this right now...there is a massive difference between the 5.7 and 6.4. When you floor the 5.7, it definitely moves. When you floor the 6.4, it throws you back in the seat and makes you question just how reliable the ol' traction control actually is. The question is...are you in the right driving circumstance to benefit from that added power or will you just be annoyed with it?

You see...my afternoon commute is approximately 10 miles. And it can take anywhere between 20-60 minutes on the average. I avoid this issue in the morning by leaving for work 1 1/2 hours early and hitting the gym. Not avoidable in the afternoon. The 6.4 hates traffic...it absolutely does. I've always felt the 5.7 was right at home. Easy to handle in almost all traffic situations. The 6.4 is not going to be happy in bumper to bumper crap and neither are you. This thing wants to GOOOO!!!!! It feels extremely clunky and sloppy at these delicate speeds. Quite frankly...its freakin annoying. That is if you have a 6M...auto's dont have this issue.

But....man is it worth it when you smash the gas coming out on a clear road on a Saturday morning and your stomach jumps up in your chest. You just cant help but get a big ol' **** eatin grin on your face!

If the deal is good...I'd do it. If not...I'd pass and be happy with your 5.7. My .02 cents.

#49 ·
I went from a 12 SRT8, to a 13 Boss 302, to a 14 R/T and now a 15 Scat Pack.

If the deal is good...I'd do it. If not...I'd pass and be happy with your 5.7. My .02 cents.
Robe81, You have owned 3 of the cars that I am now considering. The 12 SRT8, 13 Boss 302 and the Scat Pack. Can you compare the 12 SRT8 and Scat Pack in a little more detail? I am assuming they all are 6 spd manuals, right? Apologies to the OP, don't want to hi jack your thread. I have driven both A5 and 6spd (pre 15) R/Ts and both A5 and 6spd (pre 15s) SRTs, both 6.1 and 6.4. The 6.4 is impressive, and would/will be my choice when I buy. I'm stuck deciding between a 15 or 16 Scat Pack ( I have not yet been able to try any 15 6.4 car or the A8) or a 12 to 14 SRT8.

#47 ·
I have a 2015 R/T and I wanted to upgraded to the scat pack. It would have cost way to much for me to make the jump. I would have lost about 10k or less on the trade and I would have also needed money to put down on the car to help on the payments and not to mention the car insurance would of went up. So I went with a Whipple supercharger.

#48 ·
I owned a 2012 R/T before I got the SRT. I can tell you that there is very significant difference especially with the A8. I would get a stock 392 for the power and reliability. If you can afford it get the SRT, you get the bigger brakes, wider wheels and tires and magnetic adjustable dampers.

#52 ·
I went from a 14 M6 R/T to a 16 A8 SRT and even though the 14 was no slug, the 16 is a whole 'nother beast. And no way will I ever go back to M6, the A8 is incredible and fits this car and engine perfectly. I went with the SRT over the Scat because I love all the toys and the SRT just has everything imaginable not to mention the great adjustable suspension and different drive modes. For me, the SRT is the best Challenger made. In traffic or just cruising around slow you can go to Valet Mode and this makes the car so much smoother and easier to drive slowly, it locks out first gear so starts ate very gentle unlike first gear in other modes, hit this gas too hard in first and this thing wants to launch! And on the highway, the SRT is king, just cannot be any better, yeah I'm loving this car!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geno22
#56 ·
What a great era for performance car enthusiasts when a decent-size car runs 105 mph in the quarter mile yet "struggles to get any real performance above 60 mph"!

#61 ·
In traffic use sport mode or manual shift it. Just putt, putting in drive tends to shift it in to "over bog".

As for dealership nasties:

I noticed a pattern, the Geo Metro's always had empty bags of chips everywhere. The two worst cars were one with ants rampantly running around chasing all the crumbs and food on the floor, and fresh vomit on the front bench seat. I said KMA, give them to the new guy...

#63 ·
I'm in a similar position. I've had my R/T for a little over two months and I've caught the same bug as you. I did a lot of research on modding and on trading up for a Scat Pack and here are my thoughts:

1. Modding your R/T will cost about $100 for each horsepower. If you want your car to equal the Scat in power, prepare to spend about $11,000. Maybe ten grand, if you're lucky. The difference in price between an R/T and a Scat is less than this, and you'd get upgraded suspension and brakes in the Scat.

2. As others have said, modding your car will void your warranty.

3. If you mod your motor, you'll probably need upgrades to other parts of your powertrain.

4. Most of the mods will be nearly worthless in resale or trade when you're ready to get rid of the car.

5. Even with mods, the R/T simply can't match the low-end torque of the Scat. There really is no replacement for displacement. And if you're like me, this is what you really want.

If you really REALLY want that power, it's cheaper to sell your R/T privately, eat the depreciation, and then go buy a Scat.

Good luck.

#65 ·
I'm in a similar position. I've had my R/T for a little over two months and I've caught the same bug as you. I did a lot of research on modding and on trading up for a Scat Pack and here are my thoughts:

1. Modding your R/T will cost about $100 for each horsepower. If you want your car to equal the Scat in power, prepare to spend about $11,000. Maybe ten grand, if you're lucky. The difference in price between an R/T and a Scat is less than this, and you'd get upgraded suspension and brakes in the Scat.

2. As others have said, modding your car will void your warranty.

3. If you mod your motor, you'll probably need upgrades to other parts of your powertrain.

4. Most of the mods will be nearly worthless in resale or trade when you're ready to get rid of the car.

5. Even with mods, the R/T simply can't match the low-end torque of the Scat. There really is no replacement for displacement. And if you're like me, this is what you really want.

If you really REALLY want that power, it's cheaper to sell your R/T privately, eat the depreciation, and then go buy a Scat.

Good luck.

If you add a blower to a 5.7 ($10k installed and dyno tuned), it will have more power than a stock 392.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#64 · (Edited)
I was looking at a crate 392 for 8K to throw in my R/T. After all said and done I am guessing it would be 10K after install. That is if they gave me money for my 5.7 with 6K on it. I think it is a viable option given its reliability over a blower. My car is pretty much optioned out. The only thing I wouldn't have is the upgraded brakes. Kinda important in my opinion. Drove a friends WRX a few years ago.. Easley a mid 12 second car. Rowed through the gears then went to stop and nothing but brake fade. Not a good experience. People make their car fast but never give thought to slowing down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.