Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Scary moment on highway

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Haulingoods 
#1 ·
Well almost lost my baby today. We are getting tons of rain here. Hit the highway early this morning to take wife's step mother to airport and bang highway flooded scared the sh-- out of me. Must of hit a high spot in the road for the tires to catch on got her corrected.

#2 ·
I had a drop top camaro step out from under me at about 70 one time on the highway....I had it 140 degrees to the right facing other drivers before I was able to get it corrected and continue on.

It's the worst feeling in the world. Not so much the dropping feeling in your stomach as you're gong sideways, but rather the shock that hits you a minute or two later once you realize the severity of what just happened. ...I actually had to get off at the next exit just to compose myself.

At least you didn't end up in the side of another car.....or end up having the tires bite when you're sideways in the median....or hit one of those unforgiving cable barriers. It could have been a very bad day!

#3 ·
I had the same thing happen to me when I had the F1's on my car, they were replaced soon after that. no wet traction at all when there is more than a sheen of water on the road

#4 ·
Next to ice, theres nothing worst than losing contact in the rain..Tires are so key..I have Conti Extremecontact DWS's on my Porsche and they push away water like no other..I'm seriously considering putting them on my Challenger once I get it..I just don't want to deal with rain issues driving around with 485hp..

#14 ·
Glad everything turned out OK for the OP. I had my SRT only a couple weeks when I took it on a long trip. First vehicle I've driven in over a decade that wasn't 4WD/AWD and I was nervous how 485hp would handle in wet conditions (OK, how I would handle it in the rain). 600 miles and almost non stop rain the whole way, much of it VERY heavy (to the point that the road was covered with water, not just wet). Car handled amazingly well, even at highway speeds, and made it with no issues. Not sure how well the stock Pirelli all-seasons are going to hold up longevity wise, but no complaints about their weather ability.

#6 ·
Glad you pulled it out of the slide, before it went fully catastrophic!!!

#15 ·
Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Lawton Ok, Southwest Ok slammed really hard with rain. OKC we had our share, fortunately I have been out of town and missing all of the flooding.I have yet to drive my Challenger in any heavy rains so not sure how it will handle with the stock tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.