Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Should i keep my 6.1 with minor mods or trade in for a 6.4?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  RYGLaunch 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so i saw a 2012 challenger 392 with 16k miles for 36000 i have a 2010 6.1 with mopar intake, tuner, h&r lowering springs kooks headers and high flow catts. Should i trade it in for a 392?? I need some advice thanks!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Sounds like what you have is pretty sweet!

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hey everyone so i saw a 2012 challenger 392 with 16k miles for 36000 i have a 2010 6.1 with mopar intake, tuner, h&r lowering springs kooks headers and high flow catts. Should i trade it in for a 392?? I need some advice thanks!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

IMO, the biggest question is ...........Do you like your present car? and, do you consider it your ride?

Best of luck.

#11 ·
Tough call, The 2012s have quite a few improvements, but unless you are going from auto to 6 speed or something, I would keep what you got.

#12 ·
All 2011+ have the VVT.

#13 ·
If you were stock I would have said yes but you have modded you car a bit. Go test drive and see what you think. I like my 12 a lot. I miss the seats from the 2010 but I love the power range of the 6.4 and the suspension seems to make it easier to get more out of the car then a stock 2010 SRT.

#16 ·
Subscibed.

#17 · (Edited)
My 2 cents: This past February, I went out looking for a Challenger "project" car (and I didn't know much about the differences between the 6.1 and 6.4 at the time.) As my search progressed, and my topic knowledge increased ( mostly thanks to information I got from this forum) I decided to get a 6.1, because it seemed like it would be easier to modify and tune (with big mods). I didn't want MDS and VVT. I still think that's a good reason to keep or get one.
I should have gotten an '09 or 2010 because I didn't know about the '08 peg leg rear end, and in a lot of cases they are cheaper up here because the 2008 SRT 500 is an original numbered edition. (Important to some people, I guess, although I've never been able to find the production # of my car.)
It doesn't take (relatively) much in the way of mods for you to keep up with a stock 6.4. You may already be close in HP with what you now have, although you're going to have a low-end TQ deficiency. MO, if you're happy with it, keep it, and add a blower when you can.
See my signature. Work in progress, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Baseline Dyno pull on my car was 360 / 360 HP and TQ (stock with a Corsa catback). I'm hoping to get high 500's, low 600's when I'm done.
There's more potential than that there, but I drive the car daily in the summer.

:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.