Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Since I've bought a Challenger

5K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  IDMTfirefighter 
#1 ·
Well I get a lot of compliments on how good my car looks, but the other thing i've noticed is that every mustang/camaro i run into revs there engine at me. I personally think it's funny but that's the new norm with my challenger.

#4 ·
Heck, for over fours years now I've had this happen regularly. Hate to generalize, but a sizeable number of those owners are young and dumb, or dumb and dumber.

What's really funny, and it out numbers those folks, are the full sized, lifted and loud diesel trucks that do it, even on the Interstate. It must be the color that draws them! LOL

I'm 61

#5 ·
The younger you are, the more it seems to work as an attention getter. It can mean numerous different things, such as, nice car, hey, hey, hey, over here-look at me..., or if in front position at a stoplight it could be a challenge. Rarely does the challenge occur while driving, and it seems as you get older and grayer the challenges become fewer and fewer, usually because us older folks don't really care that much if someone else thinks they are faster than we are, although we do occasionally fall into our younger selves and elect to play on the roads.

I actually had a mustang cobra owner rev at me last weekend after I waved in his direction, we were both turning left to a interstate onramp, I had noticed his car because it looked very similar to the one I had before I got my Challenger, and it is fairly rare to encounter a terminator cobra on the road, at a stoplight, and getting on the interstate, and getting a signal he was willing to engage in tom foolery. I wisely let him take the lead as he had the inside lane, and just tried to keep up with him from zero to 75, till we got off the on ramp and had to slow for regular traffic flow. I was quite satisfied that he didn't walk away from me and I could keep up even while I could hear he was under boost. He never extended the lead I allowed for following safely. And If my lowly RT can do that with the SVT, i'm happy with its performance. Always wanted to know how my current car would have fared against my previous car.

#6 ·
...it seems everyone and their grandmother wants to race me, and it doesn't matter what car they are in and if were at a stop, or rolling.

#7 ·
I'm 27 and have had it happen a couple of times. Just ignore it, it'll go away...

#10 ·
I'm 35 years young. Happened A LOT more once I got my Zoomers exhaust on 3 years ago. 9/10 cars that want to race me don't stand a chance. Sometimes I get an occasion Terminator or STI. But it's usually young kids driving their mommy and daddies car.

I would love to take my car to the track just to see where I stand. Once those control arms are on it will making launching 10x's better with hopefully no wheel hop.

#11 ·
I have Mustangs and Camaros (and other Challengers) rev at me. I just take it as a wave.

Not everyone with a slow car who revs at you really wants to race you. They just want to see you take off. It's sort of a hat-tip. Have fun, don't take it so serious. I give a smile and a thumbs up, it's led to a lot of fun conversations.

#12 ·
I see it as a wave most of the time too. If they're going by on the highway and drop a gear I take it as a wave as I've never had anyone slow down doing that. Stoplight though I take it as wanting to race. I let them go on their merry way. Not worth getting a ticket (or wreck heaven forbid) over a pissing contest.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Exactly what Ive experienced. When im in my Challenger no one messes with me. When im in my daily driver Scion XB, thats a different story. I get bullied more often lol

#13 ·
I believe it to be fun. Mustangs for the most part do it more. Their exhaust note is often great. (Music to my ears)
In my red SRT8 I get the most revs and burn outs. I guess even in my late 50's Testosterone (??) is still at record levels!! I don't get a year (10,000) mi. out of a set of tires!
This life is the real thing, (Not a dress rehearsal). I must enjoy it. At almost 60 though, I do take care and do it as responsibly as possible!!
Happy motoring!! :))

Reactions: zmbgogo13
#17 ·
That's happened to me like twice ever, and neither was a Camaro or Mustang. You guys get all the fun!

#19 ·
Yesterday I had a C5 Vette trying to get me to race him on the highway but I had my son so i didn't even bother, but i would wonder how it would have gone. I know their a lot light but i know the 5.7 has more hp/tq. Hopefully i'll run into him again without my son in the car.

#20 ·
At a 50 hp power disadvantage but a 1000 pound weight advantage, he should have you. Not to mention, those motors respond to mods really well so here's hoping he's stock.

#22 ·
I get that stuff all the time, from all types of vehicles, including SUVs. HA!! I haven't lost yet, but haven't had any real tests by GTs or SSs. My wife gets all of the "Love your car!" and "Nice car!" comments. She did have a Miata try to race her. Of course she left the Miata far behind.
The funniest attempt was a guy trying to impress his girlfriend in a SUV. I wasn't expecting that vehicle to race me, so he got the hole shot on me. But it did't last at all. I left him behind without even trying.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm embarrassed to admit I was young and dumb I used to do the "stoplight race" race thing. Now, no way. Street racing is a very serious offense as traffic violations go and I have far too much to lose. I decided on a 392 Shaker early next year, and I plan on looking up local tracks and drag strips so I can really open her up from time to time.

#24 ·
LOL, you have no idea how bad/much fun it was from Labor Day 2008- July 2010 driving a BB SE here in DFW, everyone wanted to race (probably thought mine was a Hemi), but I took all comers and would usually pass them at the nearest "not exactly straight" portion of road since these cars can/do outhandle almost anything! Became a joke with me/GF cause they usually would want to race when there was traffic in front of me, but not THEM! Then I got this PCP and all that kinda stopped? My guess is they remember Plum Crazy color and the trouncing the old 440s used to hand out every day on the streets, but every now and then I get to take out a Rustang, Macaros have never really messed with me. Then I put on this SX hood and now LEOs make U-turns to follow me just to make sure no one will race me, sheesh! So take em out, shut em down, and have a blast doing it, if you pull up to the light afterwards with em, it IS kinda cool to hear the passenger freaking out at them as you ask "Wanna try AGAIN?" :D

#26 ·
at just turned 49 I have only had this happen a few times in five years of ownership. the worst was a young late model GTO driver who was trying to bait me on the interstate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.