Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Slow Hellcats

8K views 75 replies 47 participants last post by  lead farmer 
#1 ·
After being tormented with thoughts of trading in my SPS for a Hellcat because it's faster along comes Tesla with an announcement. The model S can now go from 0 to 60 in 2.5 while hauling kids, groceries, and the family dog. Race war over.

#2 ·
I saw this yesterday. "Ludicrous" mode is what they call it. That's truly amazing if it can truly drive below 3 secs with a full load. I want one!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yea Ludicrous speed (named after the movie Space Balls) is impressive but I wouldn't trash a Hellcat to get one. The instant torque gives crazy acceleration 60 times but a estimated 10.9 to 11.2 1/4 time doesn't seem much to me. Then compare looks and sound and to me the Hellcat CRUSHES the Telsa. I can't get past the golf cart sound yet and it looks like an electric car (unless you take it to Counts Kustoms). Want to haul kids get the Charger Hellcat.

Reactions: NORADIO
#13 ·
Well said. There is more to a car than just 0-60 mph speed. The Challenger is one of the coolest cars on the road and is #1 for retro design. Check out its impressive list of awards:

Best of Show- 2006 Challenger Concept-North America International Auto Show (Detroit) Concept
Best of Show (2006)- LA Auto Show
Best Concept Car (2006)- Autoweek
People's Choice Award for 2006- NAIAS
2008 Collectible Car of the Future- Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC)
CNET Editor’s Choice- October 2008
Top Owner Satisfaction List for 2009- Annual Auto Survey
Consumer Reports 10 Best Looking Cars for 2009- Vehix.com
Most Appealing Mid-Size Sporty Car- J.D. Power & Associates 2009 APEAL Survey
Best of Class Ideal Vehicle for 2009, Sporty Car Category- Auto Pacific
The 25 Most Collectible Cars of the Last 25 Years (SRT8)- Consumer Guide Automotive Recommended Buy for 2009- Consumer Guides Automotive
Motor Trend Car of the Year (contender)-Motor Trend
5-Star Safety Rating (2009 Challenger)- NHTSA
Most Beautiful Cars 2010- Forbes
2010 Polk Loyalty Award- Sports Car
10 Cars that Will Look Good in 10 Years- U.S. News & World Report (March 2011)
Top Ten Most Fun to Drive Cars- Fast Car Lane (2011 Challenger SRT)
Best Mid-Size Sporty Car 2011- J.D. Power and Associates (Initial Quality)
America’s Best-Loved Cars- J.D. Power & Associates 2011 APEAL Survey-1st Place Midsize Sporty
2012 Shoppers’ Choice Award- cars.com “Best of 2012” NAIAS Event
Top 10 Cars to Drive to the Big Game- Roadfly TV
2011 Polk Automotive Award- Sports Car Category- Polk Loyalty Awards
Best Affordable Sports Cars 2012 (4 of 8)- U.S. News & World Report
MSN 2012 “Manly Machines.”
Auto Industry’s Greatest Hits (2013 Retro Cars)- bankrate.com
Fox News- Challenger SRT- One of the Five Best Remakes, Future Classic.
2013 Shoppers’ Choice Award- cars.com
Strategic Vision- 18th Annual Total Quality Index Study- Runner-up, Specialty Coupe
10 Affordable Cars with High Exterior Design Ratings- J.D. Power (2013)
2013 Polk Loyalty Award- Non-Luxury Sport Mid-Size Car
Top 10 Future Collectible Cars- 2014 Challenger Shaker- Hagerty Insurance
Top Gear (BBC): The Cool 500- The Coolest Cars Ever Made
Top 10 Cars with the Best Resale Value (2014)- Kelley Blue Book
7 of the Best 2014 Cars for the Money- Insider News
Initial Quality Study Award- Mid-Size Sporty Car- J.D. Power (2014)
Top 10 Most Appealing Cars- J.D. Power & Associates 2014 APEAL Survey
One of the 7 Best 2014 Cars for the Money- InsiderCarNews
Total Quality Impact Award- Specialty Car Coupe (2016)- Strategic Vision

#10 ·
Question is......

How much for the Tesla? Yes its some cha-ching for sure

I have seen one (not sure of the model) at the drag strip running mid 11's and pretty impressive but they start to run out of steam on the long end. The Cat with a good hook will catch it and beat one no doubt.

Reactions: Madcoder
#12 ·
Exactly guys, they do lose steam up top. Check their trap speeds and you will see, yes it's fast 0-60, but after that they do slow down(they still are very fast cars, not taking that away)

#14 ·
its a pretty hefty $10K for that option and:

-battery must be in operating range of temperature
-charge level 85+%

-if battery goes over temperature that mode is disabled

and in the end electric motors have 100% available immediately. Any IC engine just can't do that.

Reactions: Madcoder
#15 ·
I'd buy a Tesla if I won the lottery (only way that I could afford one)!

I think that they're Really Nice cars and perform Great, but I agree that it's a little freaky that they don't make any noise! That's one of the things that I like about a Big, Fire Breathing V8 engine is the sound that they make! Driving a car is much more to me than just going fast! It should evoke as many senses as possible for me.

Here's my example: Going to the drag strip is fun because you can smell the rubber and the race gas, and also the sound of open headers or race engines with mufflers. Then you use your eyes to watch them!

Why do you think that the aftermarket exhaust companies sell billions of dollars in product every year? People like to hear their cars! You don't get that visceral effect with a Tesla!

One thing that it would KILL a Hellcat at is in the amount of gas that it uses! :grin2:

#16 ·
Of course it's a different animal... NO WAY would I trade my Challenger for one. Having said that, we are all driving dinosaurs... slow dinosaurs at that. Sad.

"The Model S zero-to-60 miles per hour interval to just 2.5 seconds. Only a few cars can compete with that, including the LaFerrari and Porsche’s 918 Spyder. Those cars, however, are limited-run supercars that cost $1.4 million and $845,000 respectively."

#28 ·
Software limitation set at 135/155... but capable estimate over 200 (but for a very short time). Nonetheless, this is just the very beginning of a sea change in the automotive experience. I wouldn't trade my memories of 60's fast cars/women for anything. Thunder V8s will be a long gone memory in a very short time.
Yes working in the field I know the battery change is coming but its still coming slow. I guess when it does come I'll be in the sewers with Edgar Friendly enjoying my V8 Hemi's while all the battery lovers are up above at Taco Bell singing I'm a Oscar Mayer Wiener (Demolition Man ref).

#18 ·
Software limitation set at 135/155... but capable estimate over 200 (but for a very short time). Nonetheless, this is just the very beginning of a sea change in the automotive experience. I wouldn't trade my memories of 60's fast cars/women for anything. Thunder V8s will be a long gone memory in a very short time.

#20 · (Edited)
The Tesla is nice, but cannot beat the Hellcat on long range driving (unless you have a week) to drive from Tucson to Chicago. I can make that trip in about 24 hours driving (broken into two 12 hour days). Try that in your Tesla.....

Oh and that long stretch of nothing between Amarillo and Oklahoma city is about 260 miles will have you staring and the battery meter as there's really nowhere to plug her in...hope that traffic is light

#22 ·
This is my concern. The Tesla can do very little driving in Ludicrous mode before depleting the battery and/or overheating. A couple years ago, a Model S was tested, and it went into limp mode after just 2 or 3 minutes of driving on a track on both Nurburgring and Mazda raceway in separate tests.

If I'm buying an electric car, its to be used as a DD. Not to get myself stranded by showing a bunch of stupid people the nature of electric motors lol.

#24 ·
Yep, no stamina. Was at the SRT Experience this past weekend and several Challenger HCs made pass after pass, full out...for about 90 min. We were flying on the racetrack lap after lap...somehow I don't see a Tesla doing that. :)

#26 ·
I too will pass on the Tesla. Electric cars just don't excite me. 0-60? Sure, it's mind-blowingly great at one performance aspect. As long as all the qualifiers are met, and you don't have to travel far to get home after. That's just limiting and a big letdown for me. I want to be able to make as many runs as I want, at the car's full capability, and be able to drive all night after. That's not even getting into the more important points about driving: Shifting gears and hearing the engine, which you can't in a Tesla. It makes a better iPad than a car.

#31 ·
Let me know when they've gone to plaid...

A Guy

#32 ·
The problems that the Tesla S has are long term issues such as the battery pack cooling pumps dying, the door handles failing to recognize the fob as the owner approaches, body fit rattles, wheel alignment issues, warping rotors, etc.

That and the huge cost to replace the battery pack when it fails after 5 to 8 years of normal use is enough for me to say no to electrics at present. Even the Toyota Prius is overly expensive to operate.

#33 · (Edited)
I met a guy with a 2016 Golf R, that had an engine tune, tranny tune (DSG trans), upgraded brakes (Brembos), lighter wheels and I don't think much else. It ran 11.1 in quarter mile and naught to sixty in 3.9 seconds. 2.0 Litre 292 hp engine stock before tune etc. Wow, approaching Hellcat territory.

Tesla's have issues (battery life, costs etc.) but can outrun a Hellcat in a quarter mile.

Of course the best looking is the Challenger.

But it ain't like the old days, when everybody was using 426 Hemi cars as a yardstick to make their rides faster.

I'm looking at trading up to a T/A now instead of a Hellcat. I like the look better, than a bunch of power I can't use unless I'm at a track. Of course a new 750 HP Hellcat that runs 9s might change all that, lol.

#34 ·
I'm going to have to bite my tongue on this one. Comparing the Tesla to a Hellcat is "ludicrous" to say the least. I have strong, very strong (all negative) feelings towards the Tesla. My opinion of the Tesla would hurt feelings, so I'll just see myself out.

Reactions: Hemiguy2015
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.