Spark Plugs 5.7 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Spark Plugs 5.7

The R/T manual says to change plugs at 30k miles but I will not have to change plugs in the SRT8 until much later. What makes the 5.7 so special that plugs are changed at a relatively short interval (nowadays)? I got to talking with our performance technician and he suggested the plugs may be a copper core, thus requiring replacement sooner. Is he correct? Are both plugs per cylinder the same plug? What brand of plugs are in the 5.7 and what is the level of difficulty in changing them?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Happiness is behind the wheel of my 2011 Mustang on the open road in the North Atlanta Suburbs.

2011 Mustang 5.0, Black, 6 spd manual,
GT Appearance + 5 pkg, Brembo Brakes
2011 Mustang V6, Sterling Grey, Auto, Mustang Club of America Edition
1966 Mustang
Previously owned: 09 Challenger R/T &
08 Challenger SRT8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 AM

In the 5.7 the plugs are copper core, from what a guy I know said. It has something to do with the MSD, or VVT on 6 speed systems requiring the use of these plugs. Remember the 6.1 dosen't have the system. I've been thinking of going to the E3 plugs on my R/T, and I think its a platinum base plug. Yes both plugs are the same, and no replacement is easy!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 AM

On a side note to ad to what is already said.I assume they have aluminum heads and over time you have a reaction to the different metals.This could cause you to strip the threads if they are in there too long.......IMHO....JB.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 AM

If the plugs in our R/Ts are indeed copper, the sole "technical" reason for it is that copper plugs are cheaper for the factory to install. Neither the mixture nor the plugs have any idea whether the cam phasing is variable or not. Better plugs cost more. That's why we have cheap plugs. My R/T is option-heavy and a good deal more expensive than the competition, yet it has a piece of wire to hold up the hood, manual HVAC controls, one power seat, no lights in the glove box or back seat, and a passenger seat that, once released for rear seat access, needs to be readjusted back into position! These cars are wildly de-contented. I could understand the high prices we're paying for the Challenger if the car was built on an all-new platform, but it's based on a platform that was launched by Mercedes in 2002 and by Chrysler in 2005. If you go to the Dodge website and price comparably-optioned R/T Challengers and R/T Chargers, you'll find that the Chargers are around 2Gs cheaper and better equipped (the front seats are SRT-type and both are power, automatic HVAC, etc.) for a larger car with four doors! Also, why is an SRT so much more expensive than an R/T? The only things on a base SRT that are more expensive at the factory level than on a base R/T are the intake manifold, the brakes and the seats, and the seats can't be much more as they are used in Charger R/Ts that are cheaper than Challenger R/Ts.

Sorry about the rant. I'm just saying that I'm not surprised that we're stuck with copper plugs...

____
Bob
#5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9901 View Post
On a side note to ad to what is already said.I assume they have aluminum heads and over time you have a reaction to the different metals.This could cause you to strip the threads if they are in there too long.......IMHO....JB.
Yes, I know all too well the consequences of leaving plugs in an aluminum head. The older, mid to late 90s, Ford V-8 and V-10 engines would blow plugs out of the head shortly after a plug change if a person waited too long to change the plugs. The 5.4 and 4.6 plugs break off in the head if waiting too long to change the plugs, the heads have since been redesigned.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:40 PM

My GM car has an aluminum V8 but the plugs are good for 100k miles. Looks like they're not worried about plugs getting stuck. I don't know about the copper core issue. I recall some discussion about the newer Dodge 4.7L V8's in the trucks and how they have dual plugs. One plug is easy to reach and needs replacement at 30k. The other plug is hard to change so Dodge uses something that's good for 100k for that plug only.

I've been puzzled by the 5.7 plug change interval. Wish I had an authoritative answer.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:50 PM

I've had the same questions as everyone else on 30,000 mile R/T plugs.

The factory had to use anti-seize compound on the plug threads since they are in aluminum heads - so you better have some compound handy when changing future plugs. If anything the copper plugs have more surface area for better spark generation - something the platinum's don't have and could cause problems if not index prior to installation.

2009 R/T Challenger

Last edited by Robo; 11-26-2009 at 04:07 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't know the answer, but I do have a stock 5.7 plug right here and it's a NGK R LZFR5C 11. If that helps at all. I had my plugs switched out to better ones when I had my supercharger installed.

2009 Challenger R/T 6 Speed Brilliant Black Pearl

Arrington 392 HEMI
TECHCO 3.0L Supercharger
TECHCO Strut Tower Brace
TECHCO Suspension Kit (Springs,Shocks,Swaybars)
87mm TB / Kooks LT Headers
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust
Stack Performance Catch Can, Tune, Fuel System
TECHCO Cold Air Intake
Hurst Short-Throw Shifter
Signed by Jay Leno

2009 Roush 429R Mustang #14 of 100
2011 Ford SVT Raptor 6.2L
#9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc22ss View Post
I don't know the answer, but I do have a stock 5.7 plug right here and it's a NGK R LZFR5C 11. If that helps at all. I had my plugs switched out to better ones when I had my supercharger installed.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Wondered if they were using NGK. Curious, what did you install?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1analguy View Post
If the plugs in our R/Ts are indeed copper, the sole "technical" reason for it is that copper plugs are cheaper for the factory to install. Neither the mixture nor the plugs have any idea whether the cam phasing is variable or not. Better plugs cost more. That's why we have cheap plugs. My R/T is option-heavy and a good deal more expensive than the competition, yet it has a piece of wire to hold up the hood, manual HVAC controls, one power seat, no lights in the glove box or back seat, and a passenger seat that, once released for rear seat access, needs to be readjusted back into position! These cars are wildly de-contented. I could understand the high prices we're paying for the Challenger if the car was built on an all-new platform, but it's based on a platform that was launched by Mercedes in 2002 and by Chrysler in 2005. If you go to the Dodge website and price comparably-optioned R/T Challengers and R/T Chargers, you'll find that the Chargers are around 2Gs cheaper and better equipped (the front seats are SRT-type and both are power, automatic HVAC, etc.) for a larger car with four doors! Also, why is an SRT so much more expensive than an R/T? The only things on a base SRT that are more expensive at the factory level than on a base R/T are the intake manifold, the brakes and the seats, and the seats can't be much more as they are used in Charger R/Ts that are cheaper than Challenger R/Ts.

Sorry about the rant. I'm just saying that I'm not surprised that we're stuck with copper plugs...
WOW! Your user name really suits you well!!! An easy answer to your question of why the SRT costs soo much more than an R/T...... Its an age old principal in the world of motorized vehicle sales, from cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, etc....... IF YOU WANT TO GO MORE, YOU GUNNA PAY MORE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode