Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Spotted: Upbadging!

24K views 165 replies 64 participants last post by  Madcoder 
#1 ·
I find this comical... :rolleyes:

2012 DODGE CHALLENGER RALLYE REDLINE EDITION - $28950 (MARIETTA)

Date: 2012-11-11, 8:15PM EST
Reply to this postReply to: kvmk8-3403170591@sale.craigslist.org[Errors when replying to ads?]

2012 Dodge Challenger Rallye Redline Edition with only 530 miles. Loaded, leather, automatic stick-shift, 20" redline wheels/tires, dual exhaust, R/T grille logo, etc. Strong 3.6L V6, 305 horsepower, 27 mpg highway. No tax, private owner. $28,950 obo 4O4-518-7551, please no calls after 9:00 pm.Keywords: hemi charger mustang camaro ss big block shelby cobra mopar cuda srt srt8

http://images.craigslist.org/3G33L33Hc5L45Ga5Fccbb6a45fbd08e1913ca.jpg

See less See more
#83 ·
I wanna know what an "all electric laser key" is/does...

#84 ·
It's an upgrade from the fobik, only available after MY 2015. Very advanced. :wink2:

#85 ·
Ive seen 2 Challengers that come in to work for service that are posers, one has HEMI police intercepter badges on the hood and one on the grill, the other has RT crap all over it and both are v6 cars, I think its lame as hell . The one guy was trying to tell me "it has a turbo and a intercooler on the 5.7 blah blah blah blah" So I look at the front end, see nothing. He starts it and I laugh inside. Sure bro.
Quit posing poser!!!
Me personally I like the low key look, no stripes no fancy wheels just one simple small RT badge on the grill and im good. No need for the flash, as soon as I strap a huffer on that top end they'll be getting their wigs split by a plain jane looking base Challenger hehe.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#86 ·
Upbadging is offensive because so many of us have made sacrifices in other areas of our lives to be able to afford the real thing.

#87 ·
I think that this has made the most sense of any so far against up-badging. It kind of puts things in perspective. Makes up-badging seem like a cheat.

#88 · (Edited)
Deep down that's what the issue is about: a devaluation of privilege. And what you're saying is: I work hard for what I have and want this elite status to be reserved to me and people like me. That's what luxury brands are about: beyond quality, it's about giving access to a club, the password of which is a certain income level. The items sold have then a value way beyond their function (like giving time or getting around) and are really status symbols signaling wealth and hard work to the world.

Although we all kind of at least consider what others think of us on some level, I personally get things that I enjoy and that agree with who I am, period. And I try not to care about what others do, wear, or drive. When I see a wannabe I laugh to myself (or with others in threads like this one), but the fraud is not taking anything from me.
What about rich kids who never earned a cent in their life but drive supercars? What about guys who get pec implants when we have to work out so hard to look the same way naturally? How about outlawing beautiful people so that the ugly can feel better about being in public? It's all the same mental process and it's a bit toxic: we shouldn't worry so much about what people have and how they got it, or how it affects our own self-image. If you drive a performance car you know you're faster than the pretender who managed to ape the look of your ride. You win on the substance so why get upset about the appearance, unless the latter was the real motivation for your purchase.

If it weren't human nature to want status, the SXT, R/T and SRT would look exactly the same instead of having proprietary stripes, and colors, and badges. We demand those so that others can see right away how much we spent or how fast we are (while we religiously stick to a speed limit that all can reach). Kinda silly if you ask me; maybe as much as puffing oneself up to appear as worthy as the others.

Take a good look at your car and consider removing all identifying marks (make, motor, trim level). Then question the feelings that came over you and your desperate rationalizations for not doing it. It's an interesting experiment.

Reactions: Crossbones74
#95 ·
Deep down that's what the issue is about: a devaluation of privilege. And what you're saying is: I work hard for what I have and want this elite status to be reserved to me and people like me. That's what luxury brands are about: beyond quality, it's about giving access to a club, the password of which is a certain income level. The items sold have then a value way beyond their function (like giving time or getting around) and are really status symbols signaling wealth and hard work to the world.

Although we all kind of at least consider what others think of us on some level, I personally get things that I enjoy and that agree with who I am, period. And I try not to care about what others do, wear, or drive. When I see a wannabe I laugh to myself (or with others in threads like this one), but the fraud is not taking anything from me.
What about rich kids who never earned a cent in their life but drive supercars? What about guys who get pec implants when we have to work out so hard to look the same way naturally? How about outlawing beautiful people so that the ugly can feel better about being in public? It's all the same mental process and it's a bit toxic: we shouldn't worry so much about what people have and how they got it, or how it affects our own self-image. If you drive a performance car you know you're faster than the pretender who managed to ape the look of your ride. You win on the substance so why get upset about the appearance, unless the latter was the real motivation for your purchase.

If it weren't human nature to want status, the SXT, R/T and SRT would look exactly the same instead of having proprietary stripes, and colors, and badges. We demand those so that others can see right away how much we spent or how fast we are (while we religiously stick to a speed limit that all can reach). Kinda silly if you ask me; maybe as much as puffing oneself up to appear as worthy as the others.

Take a good look at your car and consider removing all identifying marks (make, motor, trim level). Then question the feelings that came over you and your desperate rationalizations for not doing it. It's an interesting experiment.
first of all "edited for dubious grammar and clarity"? LOL you kill me man...that was the first time an edit reason made me laugh.
Second some of us actually go the other direction and are not at all afraid of up badging with what we actually have.
I can't speak for why other owners feel the need to up badge but clearly they did not get breast fed for long enough

#91 ·
Ive been following this thread for awhile now............im surprised how many people get riled over this upbadgeing thing............im thinking this must be some "Challenger" thing...........you see this all the time with the classics, Le Mans into Gto"s.........regular chevelles into SS Chevelles, Plymouth Satelittes into "Road Runners" the list goes on and on.

My take on this is.................the upbadgering does look cooler vs the base model, and as long as the seller isnt trying to pass the car off as something its not..........i don"t see the issue.

Life is short.........to get upset because someone copies your car.........well i don"t know

Rich

#92 · (Edited)
What he said, the RT logo matches all the red trim he's got going on. If he was all about faking people out he would have done the SRT logo, this is aesthetics... Who cares... I've got 392 engine covers on my RT motor and they still say 392 on them. Not because I wanted to trick people, but because I hated the industrial toilet seat looking engine cover yet I'm not in the mood to sit around all day with a Dremel and drop a few hundred more bucks on some new logos. For all we know, this guy may have put an SXT logo on his grill if it existed. He just has good taste and is also reasonably lazy... like me. :)

Whatever! The car doesn't tell you the measure of the person driving it and if it did at the end of the day you are driving a Dodge not an Aston Martin, highfalutin hillbillies! :D

#96 · (Edited)
I wouldn't call what you've done upbadging, IDMTfirefighter; it's more like 'representing' to me. Couldn't spot one misrepresentation in your pics. I see nothing wrong with people customizing and making their car their own while advertising what it is, although there is a way to go too far in that direction too.
There is something wrong in faking ownership of a higher trim level, on the other hand, but like toupee wearing it's something both sad and funny, not upsetting. "But I take such good care of my hair... This is unfair to me that this guy can just go buy a rug and pretend to be as handsome as me!" Very similar to the reaction of some SRT guys to the fact that an SXT can be so hard to distinguish from what they paid so much money for (hesitated to post that for fear of igniting another one of those threads, but it's the underlying issue: the superiority of some brings out feelings of inadequacies in others, badges being a cheap fix for them).

#97 ·
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8. (Clean Title)
It only has 19,000 Miles (LOW)
This car has been well maintained, excellent interior and exterior.
New tires and tune-up.
425-horsepower 6.1-liter HEMI engine (Actually good on gas)
ALL lights are HID (Headlights, Fog Lights, Interior lights, Trunk lights, Licenses plate light etc...)
Bluetooth
iPod input
Satellite radio
Side/Curtain Airbags
Stability Control
Traction Control
Navigation System
Sunroof
20" Alloy Wheels
Leather Bucket seats with SRT8 logo

If interested please contact:
(786) 285-0512 or (786) 357-7864

And then we have this poor fella. Upbadges his 6.1 SRT by placing 392 emblems on the car... :huh:

#99 ·
And then we have this poor fella. Upbadges his 6.1 SRT by placing 392 emblems on the car... :huh:
Well that is a first...have not seen anyone actually upbadge a SRT (why would you?)...yep looked outside and just saw a flying pig

#100 ·
"Everybody wants to live forever
Everybody wants to stick around
Everybody wants to be respected
And everybody wants to be protected
Everybody wants to be a hero
Every man wants to be bigger than dad
It's very hard to understand
Been that way since belltown man"

Beginning of the "Pumping Iron" theme. I really think people just want to be noticed, and want others to see them as strong, or in control. Not ALL men are like this, but the insecure ones, are. Maybe they didn't get the memo that we are all fine as we are, with or without an upbadged Challenger.

#105 ·
Upbadging an SRT... A lesson for all of us in there: appreciate what you have and quit worrying that the grass might be greener on the other side because otherwise you'll never be happy. Nothing wrong with wanting more but talk about first world problems...

Reactions: Meow_911
#107 · (Edited)
To badge or not to badge there is the question with no answer.

Funny I used to drive back in the late 60's a factory Ford 68 390.....it was un-badged basically just a monster 390, badge was the same, where it typically said 289 otherwise you never notice the car.

I love unbadged cars...cause it would make grown men cry at the next light.

If I had a 392 in plain jane unbadged with a supercharger....my reputation would be 'watch out for this car on the streets'....ah it reminds me of the good old days. :alfdance:

#116 ·
At the end of the day, it comes down to some people getting upset about something that is absolutely none of their business.

Upbadging, downbadging, it's the individual's perogative.

For me, the only time it would be unacceptable is if someone tried to pass off an SE as an R/T or something similar in order to make more $$$$ in duping the buyer. Anything else, well there are some REAL insecure people out there.

#118 ·
Yes, it's considered a classy move. In general, Europeans are discreet about their income too - it's perceived as low class to talk about money openly or show off your possessions (plus they're all tax cheats because of the fleecing they get). It could be a matter of not causing the ire of the masses over there too. We're a lot more materialistic here and are proud of our success, so it's no surprise that posing would be so common.

I believe (don't quote me on that) that the dechroming look so popular in Cali back in the '80s was actually a German thing, by the way. Europeans have always thought that chrome was ostentacious and gaudy - which is why I like it (within reason). :sneaky: I appreciate discretion, but europeans cars (so imitated stateside) are often too drab for me.

Completely debadging the car and stripping it from overdone (and unnecessary for most) wings and spoilers is a way of letting the pure styling of the car fully show, and I do get that.

#119 ·
I've read through this entire thread and want to ask for opinions. I have a 13 GCM R/T Classic. I would like to add the Challenger badge on the left side of the grill opposite the R/T badge like on the SRT's. Would this be considered upbadging?

Thanks in advance.

#126 ·
Thanks for the responses all! I did not feel it was upbadging but had to ask.

I am happy with what I custom ordered and have no plans to upbadge to keep up with the Jones'. LOL

Now if some people would stop calling it a Charger, I would be happy as h***!

Thanks again.

#127 ·
Besides one co-worker who's into classic cars and called my brand new Challenger one badass ride, the reactions I've gotten at work so far were along the line of "but, it's the same car. Why?" (it replaces a Charger) Me: "Yeah, it's the 2-door version is all. I wanted a black one."

Some would make you think that putting Challenger badges in script on an R/T is akin to impersonating a Classic. I wonder what they would think of the one below whose Envy rims were replaced by chrome clads (I'm sure I saw the dealer's old ad on their site). And if all I could've found was a car with 20s, I'd have had the dealer swap the rims for 18s from a V6 if necessary. Would that have been downbadging? You easily see how endless and trivial it can get.

Attachments

#128 · (Edited)
my car is all sorts of confused.

it's an RT Plus with chrome clads - i've added the RT side stripe and the 392 spoiler...

i guess i'm upstriping and upspoilering....

aaawww yeeeeaaaaah !!!!

whoever doesn't like it can get sexed in the butt by a mountain goat....

#131 · (Edited)
The way I see it, as long as the SE or R/T owner doesn't pick a race and lose, where the true SRT8 would have won, there is nothing wrong with it. Don't go disgracing the real factory hot rod by getting your doors blown off by a lowly camaro ss or mustang gt. And don't be telling me that a stock ss or gt will beat a stock 392 in a drag, or top speed race. It ain't gonna happen!

And for the guy that displays his "deploma"...you didn't get your moneys worth! :icon_aetsch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.