Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT vs. Scat Pack...help with decision...

25K views 80 replies 32 participants last post by  TB632 
#1 · (Edited)
I know the SRT v. Scat Pack debate has raged on since the Scat Pack was introduced, but here are the things that I'm weighing and could use some advice/opinions...

1. SRT leather vs. Scat Pack leather/suede...which one will hold up better over time? The Scat Pack doesn't have an option for full leather interior correct?

2. Seat embroidery...do the 2017 Scat Packs have the RT or the Bee on the seat backs?

3. Brake dust...I've read that the SRT Brembos give off a ton of brake dust. Is it any better/less with the Scat Pack Brembo setup?

4. How much should i expect to pay to have the Scat Pack spoiler painted white (regular white not the metallic white).

5. Any difference in exhaust note?

I know the SRT has performance pages, but i would rarely use them...adjustable suspension, but i plan on going with coils...wider wheels, but i plan on getting aftermarket wheels with a more flush offset. I prefer the SRT hood and Napa leather interior, but I'm not sure that they're worth the $6,000 price difference (based on how i equipped both models).

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
It's all a matter of personal preference. They both have the exact same engine, the Scat has performance pages also, not adj. suspension though. My Brembo's throw a lot of dust on the front and rear panels. Some Scat's I've seen have the bee on the seat back. Mine came with after market Katzkin seats, all leather. Yeah, it all depends if you really want to spend that extra $$$$. I'm very happy with my Scat.

Attachments

#3 ·
1. Unknown which will last longer, my alcantara still looks new. No full leather option for SP.

2. All SP will have the Bee on seats in 2017, no more R/T seats on any model in 2017.

3. Way less dust on SP front brakes, the SRT front brakes are bigger and put out lots more dust, rear brakes the same.

4. Wild guess, $150? Then labor to take it off and back on.

5. Same exhaust system.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I see the key considerations being additional ride modes in SRT (3 vs. 2), Wheels (9.5 vs. 9in), Brakes (Red vs. black, etc), and other items like hood preference.

Option out each car how you would prefer to buy, and compare the final cost. From my perspective, the difference is about $6k, for how I would option my car. Do I value the Hood + Wheels + Brakes + Ride modes at > 6k? For me, hell yes. I would spend 6K just upgrading hood and brakes, since I dislike the standard SP.

Remember, you can't go wrong either way, enjoy.

#8 ·
I know the SRT has performance pages, but i would rarely use them...adjustable suspension, but i plan on going with coils...wider wheels, but i plan on getting aftermarket wheels with a more flush offset. I prefer the SRT hood and Napa leather interior, but I'm not sure that they're worth the $6,000 price difference (based on how i equipped both models).

Thanks in advance
Since you're thinking of coil-overs, I'd skip the SRT392 - those 3 mode Bilsteins - if you unplug them, you'll error messages for that system. You're paying extra for a system that you plan on removing from the vehicle.

Better off going with a Scat Pack or T/A 392 (it has the 6-piston brakes, 9.5" wheels) -both of these use conventional Bilstein shocks...

#9 ·
For me, I had little patience for trying to decipher the million different configurations Dodge offered for the Challenger. I decided I'd wind up kicking myself later for stuff I'd missed or gave up so I just bought the SRT. No regrets. Keep in mind even the SRT is a fairly under-dressed car in terms of features compared to a lot of other vehicles on the market. For instance, a backup camera would be nice lol.

The hood and brakes alone are enough justification for me...as 'classic' as the two scoop hood is on the standard Challenger, it's just gotten 'tired' in my eyes. It's a great looking hood, but I've seen it for 40 + years.

#10 ·
I thought the back up camera was standard??? I sure couldn't live without it after getting used to it.

#17 ·
Really? I think my backup camera is pretty good. Better than on my wife's 2005 GX470, which is 11 years old I guess and maybe a different generation from yours.

#13 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was watching a YouTube vid of a challenger owner who ranted about the extra $7500 you would pay for the 392 over the scatpack. He went on to say the scatpack was the better buy especially because on the 392 you can't disengage the MDS. On the scatpack we have the sport option and super track pack where one of these buttons shuts off the MDS. He hated the way the 392 sounded going from 4-8 cylinders. Here's is his vid. Some of u may recognize him. I think he's hilarious on his dramatic take on the two styles of cars.

#16 ·
I'm not sure I follow his concerns for the MDS coming on. MDS doesn't come on unless there's very little load on the engine. His he talking about going from a cruise mode (with MDS) to a sudden acceleration? Or the sound it makes when operating with only 4 cyl?
And what was he saying about 6 speeds in sport mode. I never noticed.
I haven't had a lot of driving time on my SRT but I thought the ECO button was for the MDS(4 cyl) mode.
I guess I'm going to have to check this stuff out tomorrow. I'll have to bring up the screen that shows what gear it's in.:surprise::worried:

#19 ·
I went from an SRT to a Scat Pack. A 2010 to a 2016. The technology in the newer Scat is far more superior than that of a 2010 SRT. I think I would have went with the SRT if they had one at the dealer I really liked. Nicer brakes. A little better suspension , performance pages have better options. Last year I was thinking of trading in and built a Scat online. By the time I was done I was only 1-2K away from SRT price. But no big deal. I will paint my calipers red and add a Taser. When I building car it let me add adaptive cruise with M6 trans. I didn't find out it wasn't possible on manuals until I bought this car. All in all I'm very happy with my new Scat and got a great deal because so close to end of year.

#21 ·
I've had my SRT for 5 months now. I had the choice to buy either this or a Scat Pack and if I had it to do all over again, I'd still go with an SRT. It's just personal preference in terms of having the extras already mentioned, in addition to Sepia leather, flat bottomed steering wheel. I didn't want a black interior so the Sepia leather (tan) interior meant SRT or nothing.
I know the T/A is much closer to an SRT in performance features, but the price reflects this too.
If you're happy buying a Scat Pack with the intention of upgrading, that's great, but don't expect the resale price to reflect any money you've thrown at it. When it comes time to sell, the resale value will likely be he same as a stock Scat Pack. At least you'll be able to enjoy the upgrades while you own it though. Any Challenger with a 392 is a good choice in my book, for my needs anyway.

Reactions: SpeedShift
#22 ·
I really don't understand the problem having MDS running in sport mode. As soon as you give it a little gas, it jumps into 8 cyl and flies. Even if you're doing the 1/4 mile I doubt it would have any affect on the outcome.
I don't understand why anyone would want to cruise along on the highway in sport mode, in 6th gear. I'm missing something.:|

#27 ·
That video posted earlier in the thread is Sash/SRT's video, he's a member on here, and owned both vehicles. He brings up good points in his video. The Scat Pack is really a great deal for what you get.

SRT pros:
1.) 3 mode adjustable suspension
2.) SRT performance pages
3.) 6 piston Brembo brake system
4.) Standard 9.5" rims with 275 tires all around
5.) Cool hood
6.) Add'l options/packages some not available on Scat Pack

If those things matter to you, then you should get the SRT. If they don't or you'd simply never really fully utilize them, then the Scat Pack is probably the better bet and will leave you with more money in your wallet.

Sash is correct in that the Scat Pack Sport Mode turns off MDS with the A8 trans. The SRT does not turn off MDS in Sport Mode, only in Track Mode. Sport Mode on the Scat Pack is perfect! You can't beat the shifting, the exhaust sound, the throttle response, turns MDS off, no need to change anything. The SRT only shuts MDS off in Track Mode. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but Track Mode sucks to drive around in all the time. The gears hang on for way too long for normal driving, they shift really hard all the time, just not that fun for normal driving. Perfect for the track, but not the street. It's not a huge deal, but it's just another thing to keep in mind.

I really can't see how anyone would need more stopping power than the 4 piston Brembos provide on the Scat Pack. Those brakes are INSANE! They stop awesome, very touchy, etc. But if you track the car a lot, that's probably where you'd notice the difference.

They both have the 392 which has insane power, so you really can't go wrong either way you go. Both are great cars that will put a big smile on your face when you plant the gas pedal to the floor. :)

#30 ·
Damn. Had high hopes for a minute. Sorry to hijack, OP. My take on the SRT vs SP is, just get the SRT so you can look down on all the lowly lesser models.......:armed::fight:>:)>:):eek:hthedrama::deadhorse::grim:

lol, j/k. See the art of trolling is to get everybody to fight with each other, not you. It is fun sometimes when threads like these take the fatal turn towards pretentiousness. Respect for all! :)

#42 ·
For me, the SRT does seem to offer a few more goodies that I would appreciate having, but not for the $5-6K bigger price tag. My SP was a helluva bargain at just $38K after rebate.

#44 ·
I just went through this dilemma..one dealer wouldn't budge down on a B5 SRT for 48+TTL. I got another dealer down to 43 OTD for a Mango Scat Pack Shaker fully loaded with everything but a sunroof.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#45 ·
I went with the SRT. I like the adjustable suspension. Also, I was wanting the HK sound system and since the SRT came with it I went that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.